Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Private contract fire equipment
There have been some requests for more of the contract equipment I have incidentally posted in some of my wildland related posts. I'm finally getting around to that, but thought it should be opened up to any and all private contract fire equipment, not just wildland.

Honestly I'm not really sure what this includes but I'm thinking commercial working equipment, so definately private fire support equipment like canteen services, fire clean up / salvage etc, but not private antiques used for musters, parades etc.

The intent is to show off some of the behind the scenes stuff that many may never see.

I'll start with one of the ones everybody likes to see roll into fire camp, the mobile shower unit. This one belongs to AAA Mobile Showers.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Aaron Woods
El Dorado Water and Shower, mobile shower unit

Aaron Woods
Interior of the El Dorado unit. This is an older unit, the seperate stalls are step up from the old days with just an open shower room, but not as nice as some of the latest units with completely seperate shower rooms / changing areas. This unit was set up for a logistics class I took, so I was able to get interior photos of the unit. Typically people frown on bringing cameras into the shower area. Ph34r

Aaron Woods
Obviously a shower unit needs clean water

El Dorado Water and Shower potable water truck

Aaron Woods
People like hot water, so you need power for the on demand water heaters

El Dorado Water and Shower generator truck

Aaron Woods
Finally, you need a place for all the dirty water.

These large water bladders are the usual method for collecting the grey water which are then hauled off in tanker trucks to the local disposal facility (at least that is where I assume it goes). 

Aaron Woods
The little brother of the shower unit, is the wash station.

Bill Murphy and Sons Water and Shower

Aaron Woods
Ok, getting back to something a little more main stream around here, some contract fire engines.

A heavy brush engine built on an older Ford F700, operated by Canyon Ferry Fire Suppression of Montana.

Aaron Woods
Ex BLM Unimog now operated by a private contractor.

Sorry about the fuzzy photo, due to the heavy smoke conditions the lighting was like late evening at mid day so I tried using the low light setting, big mistake. It is an unusual engine though, so thought it worth including.

Aaron Woods
Contract Type 4 engine operated by the Utah Fire Company

Aaron Woods
Contract heavy brush engine (probably a type 4) operated by Reed Wildland Engines of Montana.

Aaron Woods
Contract heavy brush engine (probably a type 3) operated by Calquhoun Wildland Fire Inc of Utah

Aaron Woods
Contract type 4 engine operated by Mountain Camel Wildland Firefighters of Utah

Aaron Woods
Contract type 3 engine built on a Ford F550 and operated by A-1 Fire Services of Lolo Montana.

This is a classic contractor engine written to comply with the letter of the contract, cramming 10 lbs of fire engine into a 5 lb sack. Type 3 engines carry 500 gallons of water, and have a minimum of a 250 gpm pump so are usually built on a larger medium duty chassis. If the chassis holds out it looks like a rather practical no frills engine to me.

Aaron Woods
Contract type 3 engine operated by Outback Firefighting of Montana. This again shows the ingenuity of some contractors, the black box behind the cab that resembles a sleeper is the water tank.

Aaron Woods
A mobile air traffic control tower for use at a large helibase provided by Firecom Mobile Control Towers.

Aaron Woods
Providing water tenders for forest fires is a popular side business for many contruction and forestry companies as well as large ranches.

Water truck operated by NOE Construction out of Idaho

Aaron Woods
While locally provided water trucks are common, not all contract water tenders have primary jobs. Oshkosh and FWD 4x4 and 6x6 trucks are very popular as water tenders with contract firefighting companies.

A large water tender built on an Oshkosh 6x6 chassis, operated by Tarhee Wildfire of Idaho.

Aaron Woods
Another Oshkosh, this one a 4x4 operated by Smoke Chasers of California.

Aaron Woods
While contract companies are in the business to make money, it is not always about being cheap. Some take a lot of pride in their equipment. This was a lovely Oshkosh 6x6 operated by Carlton out of Northern California. The driver was the owner and personally took a hand in building up the truck. The truck was obviously well maintained and was decorated with many hand painted murals.

Aaron Woods