Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pacific Northwest
do you have a link for the Pierce flicker site?
[quote name='Frank B' timestamp='1354065166' post='504140']

do you have a link for the Pierce flicker site?

[/quote]

Here you go, Frank: [url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/piercemfg/"] http://www.flickr.com/photos/piercemfg/[/url]
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
The Chief Seattle arrived back at Elliot Bay, SFD Station 5, approx Feb 16, after completion of

retrofit work accomplished at Vigor Industrial shipyard in Everett, WA.

Now after the renovation that will add about 20 years to its life, the Chief Seattle

should pump 10,000 gallons of water a minute, 2,500 gallons more than before.

Bob Lukas Photo

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

A view of the Chief Seattle before the renovation

Bob Lukas Photo

And another view.  One of three main propulsion engines was removed the make room for the additional pumping capacity.

Bob Lukas Photo

And a view before.

Bob Lukas Photo

Is the 'Chief Seattle' going to be the primary fresh-water boat at Fishermen's Terminal now? Looks like Vigor did a great job.

Quote:And another view.  One of three main propulsion engines was removed the make room for the additional pumping capacity.

Bob Lukas Photo
Just curious - Was the engine actually removed, or just dedicated to pumping? I assume there will be a loss of some speed? That probably won't make much difference on Lake Union, if that's where she's going.

BTW - Love the before and after photos. I spent some time with Station 5 back in the early 90's when they had the Chief Seattle and the Alki there. I think the Duwamish was still a reserve boat then.
John I.

Fire/EMS Dispatcher / EMT-B

Fire Apparatus Photographer / Hobbyist

www.fireapparatusphotos.com

www.flickr.com/image7801

Nikon D5600 (retired: Nikon D90) / Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
Quote:Is the 'Chief Seattle' going to be the primary fresh-water boat at Fishermen's Terminal now? Looks like Vigor did a great job.

The Alki will be retired and Chief Seattle will then be berthed in the fresh water of Station 3 at the Port of Seattle's Fisherman's Terminal.

Quote:The Alki will be retired and Chief Seattle will then be birthed in the fresh water of Station 3 at the Port of Seattle's Fisherman's Terminal.
Thanks for the information. Do the boat crews from #5 jump in a Suburban to staff the boats at Station 3?
Quote:Thanks for the information. Do the boat crews from #5 jump in a Suburban to staff the boats at Station 3?
That is correct. So as Station 3 remains unmaned, SPD's Patrol 4, also responds to waterfront alarms from it's station at Gas Works Park. 

Quote:Just curious - Was the engine actually removed, or just dedicated to pumping? I assume there will be a loss of some speed? That probably won't make much difference on Lake Union, if that's where she's going.

BTW - Love the before and after photos. I spent some time with Station 5 back in the early 90's when they had the Chief Seattle and the Alki there. I think the Duwamish was still a reserve boat then.
I believe the engine was removed, but I'll have to get back to you on that.  The Duwamish is still afloat as part of boat museum on the south end of Lake Union.
Quote:And another view.  One of three main propulsion engines was removed the make room for the additional pumping capacity.

Bob Lukas Photo
Does anyone know the brand of the small launch on the back of the Chief Seattle?  Someone recently explained how that design allows for the boat to have a low draft with the outboard but still maintain power with the water channeled through a tunnel to the prop...but they couldnt recall the brand.

Thanks,

Gary
Quote:Does anyone know the brand of the small launch on the back of the Chief Seattle?  Someone recently explained how that design allows for the boat to have a low draft with the outboard but still maintain power with the water channeled through a tunnel to the prop...but they couldnt recall the brand.

Thanks,

Gary
The brand name appears to be WORKSKIFF
Quote:The brand name appears to be WORKSKIFF
Thanks...Good Eyes!
Quote:That is correct. So as Station 3 remains unmaned, SPD's Patrol 4, also responds to waterfront alarms from it's station at Gas Works Park. 

That looks like quite a haul across the city.
Quote:Last Saturday I did a walk around shoot of APP #319 on one of the only 58 days per year on average, when we have bright sunny skies, without clouds, from sun up to sunset in the Seattle area. It was a specacular day in Auburn WA.

Bob Lukas Photo

I missed these last August, but there is something I really like about the canopy cab commercial apparatus of the 70s and 80s. They just have a really no nonsense practicality to them without seeming low bid. The KWs and Peterbilts in particular have this with a bigger hammer attitude and low bid not even crossing your mind.

Don't see these enough thanks for posting them. Thumbsup
Aaron Woods
Quote:Engine and HazMat 34 in front of their quarters with probably the best 34 crew. I'm the little dude in the middle.

Is that Greg Fair on your left?
Greg Muhr

<a class='bbc_url' href='http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/'>http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/</a>
Question for any of the Seattle-area people. Is the new REHAB 1 apparatus quartered at #10? Thanks in advance. Heard it dispatched to a structure fire tonight.

Quote:Question for any of the Seattle-area people. Is the new REHAB 1 apparatus quartered at #10? Thanks in advance. Heard it dispatched to a structure fire tonight.
I just heard that it is assigned at station 27.   It was kind of strange to see it listed as going out with the first alarm units, rather than being special called afterwards.