Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pacific Northwest
Quote:At an open house over the weekend it was mentioned that Pierce would most likely never let a one of their engines leave the factory

with the kind of bumper as is pictured in post #1274. This was one of several individual opinions, liking the fact that SFD was

"stepping up" by probably having to pay a higher price per unit for quality and a better look. Just opinions, not looking to start an argument.

SFD has been very impressed with both the quality and service they have received from Pierce after purchasing

replacements for the Rescue, Hazmat, several TDA's and their Multi Casualty Incident Unit.

Other providers have served SFD well over the years, including ALF, E-One, Spartan, and Kenworth.
What's wrong with the bumper on that engine?
SFD Engine 28

2007 E\-One Cyclone II

E\-One SN#133000

Bob Lukas Photo

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

SFD Medic Unit 28

At Harborview Medical Center

2008 Ford E-450  APP #85439

2003 Braun Northwest

Reused box from APP #035365

Extended to fit the longer 2008 Ford chasis

Bob Lukas Photo

I always enjoy the PNW stuff....do you happen to have any rear hosebed shots or compartment shots of the Seattle E-Ones?  Keep 'em comin'!

Quote:What's wrong with the bumper on that engine?
I'm curious about that too.  What's wrong with the bumper - although it's nearly flush with the cab face (something that's part of the specs), I don't see any flaws with it.
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Quote:I'm curious about that too.  What's wrong with the bumper - although it's nearly flush with the cab face (something that's part of the specs), I don't see any flaws with it.

Oh no, there are no flaws on the bumper Taylor.  It's all about the curb appeal.  There was a discussion about the looks of the

Seattle engines over on the "seattle new rigs" thread a few years ago of how the look of the front end seemed

odd because of the short bumper style.  Something more appealing would look like the 1991-1993 E\-One rigs Seattle

once owned.  I'm looking forward to a different look.....JMO

SFD 1991 E\-One Spartan

Bob Lukas Photo

One of SFD's two newest engines

2011 E\-One Typhoon

1500X500X10A

Bob Lukas Photo

Quote:Oh no, there are no flaws on the bumper Taylor.  It's all about the curb appeal.  There was a discussion about the looks of the

Seattle engines over on the "seattle new rigs" thread a few years ago of how the look of the front end seemed

odd because of the short bumper style.  Something more appealing would look like the 1991-1993 E-One rigs Seattle

Thanks for the explanation.  I suppose I was just surprised that if no one within the SFD liked the look of the short bumper E-Ones, they wouldn't simply change the specs the for the next batch of pumpers purchased.

Nevertheless, I love this thread, thanks for continuing to keep it updated.
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Quote:Oh no, there are no flaws on the bumper Taylor.  It's all about the curb appeal.  There was a discussion about the looks of the

odd because of the short bumper style.  Something more appealing would look like the 1991-1993 E-One rigs Seattle

SFD 1991 E-One Spartan

Bob Lukas Photo
OK.  I just found the comment that "Pierce would most likely never let a one of their engines leave the factory with the kind of bumper as is pictured in post #1274" kind of odd since the new Pierce Tiller pictured in this thread had pretty much the exact same bumper on it.
Quote:OK.  I just found the comment that "Pierce would most likely never let a one of their engines leave the factory with the kind of bumper as is pictured in post #1274" kind of odd since the new Pierce Tiller pictured in this thread had pretty much the exact same bumper on it.

You're right, as it looks from a distance.  But post #1147 shows a side view of the same

rig with what I consider a huge improvement compared to the thin bumpers on the SFD

Quest engines and even the flimsy bumpers on the mighty Kenworth engines in

their day. JMO.  Thanks for looking.

SFD 2008 E\-One Quest

1500X500X10A

E\-One SN#134502

Bob Lukas Photo

2010 Pierce Arrow XT 22751

SFD APP #30940

Delivered June 2010

University Station 17

Bob Lukas Photo

There was a question asked earlier in this threat about how the compartments were arranged on the new TDA's.

Bob Lukas Photo

It looks like just one portable fan and a few cylinders are missing.

Bob Lukas Photo

SFD Ladder 4 and 10 at the corner of 2nd Ave and Virginia Street before setting up to cross their aerials for

a LODD funeral procession yesterday.  They are the first two Pierce TDA's delivered to SFD.

2009 Pierce Arrow XT 21469-1

SFD APP #95440  

Delivered Oct 2009

Downtown Station 2   

Bob Lukas Photo

2009 Pierce Arrow XT 21469-2

SFD APP #95441

Delivered July 2009

Capital Hill Station 25   

Bob Lukas Photo

The Skagit County Airport outside of Burlington, Washington runs this 1990 E-1 International S 4x4 for fire protection. It carries 500 gallons of water, 30 gallons of foam and 500# of dry chem.

Whatcom County Fire Dist. 4 unit 517 is this 2006 Pierce Dash with 1510/750/20/ CAFS engine.

North Whatcom Fire Dist. 63 engine 63 is this 2008 Crimson Spartan Gladiator with 1500 pump, 710 water and 30 foam.

North Whatcom Fire Dist. ladder 63 is this 2009 Crimson with 1500 GPM pump, 420G water 103' ladder built on what I think, reading my notes, on a 2004 Spartan chassis.