Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bronx 5th Alarm 05/02/13
Also, what does FSD stand for?

http://www.btfirephotos.com/2013/Bronx-5...&k=HLSQSzV

Its interesting to see how the companies modify their rigs, from mechanical sirens to even a chrome bumper.

[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
Quote:Also, what does FSD stand for?

http://www.btfirephotos.com/2013/Bronx-5...&k=HLSQSzV

Its interesting to see how the companies modify their rigs, from mechanical sirens to even a chrome bumper.
Fleet Services Division. E90 is in a spare apparatus, from the Shops.

On 38-Trucks chrome bumper, I will let CBX tell u about that one.
I assume that the FDNY engines don't have booster reels and that is why a lot of them have the small hoses on the front bumpers ran through the tow hooks? Also are the large compartments ( metal ) on the tops of pumpers storage for specialized equipment ? Thanks
Quote:On 38-Trucks chrome bumper, I will let CBX tell u about that one.

38 Truck and 88 Engine have an extreme amount of house pride and always take stellar care of their rigs and firehouse.    Told to me by one of the senior men in L-38, when they were about to get the new Ferrara rig, they asked the shops about a chrome bumper................and lo and behold, the rig was delivered with a chrome bumper............Only one of the job too.
The only MARC in 46 ENGINE!

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01 F.D.N.Y. 343

RIP FF John Bellew 27 Truck F.D.N.Y. 1-23-05

RIP Captain Frank Keane 46 Engine F.D.N.Y 12-11-06
Quote:I assume that the FDNY engines don't have booster reels and that is why a lot of them have the small hoses on the front bumpers ran through the tow hooks? Also are the large compartments ( metal ) on the tops of pumpers storage for specialized equipment ? Thanks

The 1986 Mack Ward 79 Engines were the last engines ordered with a booster reel.   Every engine ordered after that came with the extended bumper with the space to hold 2  lengths of 1 3/4", used for car fires and rubbish.

The large metal compartments on top of the newer Seagrave rigs is used for storage.    Alot of companies carry their cans of foam up there.
The only MARC in 46 ENGINE!

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01 F.D.N.Y. 343

RIP FF John Bellew 27 Truck F.D.N.Y. 1-23-05

RIP Captain Frank Keane 46 Engine F.D.N.Y 12-11-06
Quote: 

The 1986 Mack Ward 79 Engines were the last engines ordered with a booster reel.   Every engine ordered after that came with the extended bumper with the space to hold 2  lengths of 1 3/4", used for car fires and rubbish.

The large metal compartments on top of the newer Seagrave rigs is used for storage.    Alot of companies carry their cans of foam up there.

Thanks. I saw the 13/4 lines and figured the companies added the rubber hoses as to not have to pull the 13/4 for small trash. Thanks again
Great Shots! Amazing placement of the ladders under the subway tracks.

Thanks for the quick reply, but the one question I still have, What is the advantage of hitting the hydrant with hard suction?

[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
Quote:Using the Hard Suction Line Instead of the Soft Suction Line to make the connection.

I would rather hear the original poster's answer.
  Don't know if this is the reason for the reply,but here is a link to some extent...    http://www.firehydrant.org/info/hdraft01.html

I never saw an advantage Hard vs. Soft in performance myself. But to use a single section of hard tube requires "precise apparatus positioning". That may be the context of the OP. I always found it a P.I.T.A.

Great Shots. I love seeing the FDNY in action. 

Thanks for sharing.

A few more shots from a friend. John Hopper photos:

http://grogan.smugmug.com/FDNY/bronx-5th...&k=FhnWw9V
Joey D on 61 Truck !

In Philadelphia, it is SOP for any engine company making hydrant connections at second alarms and greater fires to use hard sleeves. I think I may have heard the same thing about FDNY. 

not looking to be a smartass here or discuss tactics....but  why??  not understanding the advantage in hard vs soft.  (i never pumped so any help would be appreciated)

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13 (KJV)
It reduces friction loss from the hydrant to the pump.  Most hard suction is a 6 inch diameter, although other sizes are available. I know some of  the light weight suction hose is not rated to be used under pressure (connecting to hydrants), and has a small warning label on it. Not sure what size and type of hard suction FDNY uses.

While this doesn't directly answer some of the above questions, this article about Chicago's use of hard sleeve on the hydrants is pretty interesting:  http://www.firehouse.com/blog/10850756/f...cago-style

As Grumpy mentioned, don't hook the transparent, lightweight stuff to a hydrant - bad things happen.

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA

For years Memphis Fire Department Pumpers, ran with a 30 foot squirrel tail semi flexible hard sleeve.

http://www.firepics.net/groupboards/inde...35&page=11

John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
Grumpy, Taylor and John thanks so much for the info.  makes everything much clearer.  Taylor that article was SUPERB!!!

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13 (KJV)
Nice pic love the pic for the fdny all way good for for you guys