Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
F.D.N.Y.
Guys,

Last week, I had the privilege of visiting the FDNY Shops.

I didn't have the energy to post all the photos here, so check out my site, all the photos are there.

http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php/topic/...dny-shops/

I'll post some here later in the week.

Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
For those keeping track of FDNY rigs, old Ladder 10 2001 Seagrave  #SL01023 has been lettered for BOT.

Attached Files Image(s)

Awesome pics.   There should be a whole category designated to FD Shops.

If it was going to BOT, they should have kept the mural IMO......a nice tribute to the show the new recruits what the job is about and a reminder never forget!
This might not be such a bad thing (physically) for the truck to go to B.O.T., at least now it will be off of the roads and not as much wear and tear going in to it as it would a spare. I still think it should have kept the mural, and just sold off as soon as it was out of regular front line service, but I'm not the rank and file of the F.D.N.Y.

Honestly, what was the big deal? Couldn't have been uniformity; you have older Seagraves with Red steel wheels, aluminum wheels, rotators, LEDs, Marauder IIs, Attacker HDs, Ferraras, LED Aerodynic lights, SLR Vision lights, KMEs before long, and the list goes on, there's no uniformity, so that's not it.

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
They should have kept the mural on the rig, and put the rig in the museum.

If they kept the dedication to the deceased brothers on the cab, why not leave the mural?  Thumbsdown

Any FDNY brothers have any ideas?

Only hope would be that since Seagrave still has an extra set of the murals, hopefully they will donate them and they can go back on the rig when it finally goes OOS. It should be in a museum somewhere for sure!

Quote:If they kept the dedication to the deceased brothers on the cab, why not leave the mural?  Thumbsdown

Any FDNY brothers have any ideas?

Only hope would be that since Seagrave still has an extra set of the murals, hopefully they will donate them and they can go back on the rig when it finally goes OOS. It should be in a museum somewhere for sure!
Joel - I was told there were "SOME" spares either at Seagrave or the Shops IN CASE Damage to the body ever required replacement of the vinyl. Whatever happened to them.... who knows.
I think that the mural has special meaning that goes with Ladder 10.

To run it around with the mural as a spare or BOT truck would devalue it. Just like Ladder 27....all their custom logos such as "Cross Bronx Express" are being removed from their Seagrave because it doesn't belong on a spare, it belongs on Ladder 27.

The former Ladder 10 (w/ mural) really wasn't directly involved in 9/11, and don't just think because it has a mural on it qualifies it to go into a museum. There are many, many other pieces which do deserve musuem consideration (like the Floodlight Unit) and other units which reflect the evelution of the department to where it is today. That is, if the city even had a place to store them properly since the current museum wouldn't fit them. They need a bigger musuem.

And there are already 9/11 damaged trucks on display in Albany, and one kept somewhere for future purposes. Those say A LOT more then a mural on a modern ladder.

Seth Granville
The 1959 Mack B-20 H&H Floodlight has been in the Spring st museum for the last 20 years. Must be out for P.M. work or time to put it in storage for a while so something else can go in .

I thought more the fact that the Seagrave employees payed for and donated the truck and murals qualified it for some type of special care. but thats just my $.02

[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
Quote:I thought more the fact that the Seagrave employees payed for and donated the truck and murals qualified it for some type of special care. but thats just my $.02
if i remember correctly they did!
There was a lot of apparatus paid for by different entities and citizens from all over the country donated to FDNY after 9/11. Engines, Towers Ladders, Rescues, etc. Just because one has a mural doesn't make it any more special then the others, in my opinion. It was a very nice touch, though. Ladder 10 kept the mural by keeping it on their new truck. Albeit, it's not the same one, but they are keeping the tradition going.

FDNY doesn't have the space, money, or manpower to keep every donated piece. It's just not a feasible option.
Seth Granville
The mural is for Ladder 10, not other pieces as it gets passed around as a spare. It needed to stay at the Ten House.

Just sayin

Jason Knecht
Fire Inspector
Township Fire Dept., Inc.
Eau Claire, WI
If the truck doesn't get scrapped when it's time to sell, I predict someone buys it, restores it, and it ends up like the HME Rescues have, or something along the lines. The only thing with that is, I hope the right person gets a hold of it and they make it 100% accurate, because I've noticed some subliminal changes with the Rescues, and I don't mean the FDNY decals.

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
By the time it is ready to retire, it is usually scrapped. They take EVERY part they can use off the truck.. Maybe it will be in better shape going to BOT, but you never know when it may go to the spare pool. BOT is not always easy on the trucks, either. FDNY trains hard, and these are also used by chauffer's learning to use the ladders.

Here's an example of an FDNY truck when they dispose of it. This is the way it looks when it is auctioned. The picture actually makes it look in better shape then it is. I'd like to see more of them go to departments in need...but sadly it is worth way more to  scrap buyers then those would undertake the work and cost to restore or sell it.

Seth Granville
29-Truck's Ferrara  Bronx

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

43-Truck's Ferrara  "El Barrios Bravest" Manhattan

55-Truck's Ferrara  South Bronx

Quote:By the time it is ready to retire, it is usually scrapped. They take EVERY part they can use off the truck.. Maybe it will be in better shape going to BOT, but you never know when it may go to the spare pool. BOT is not always easy on the trucks, either. FDNY trains hard, and these are also used by chauffer's learning to use the ladders.

Here's an example of an FDNY truck when they dispose of it. This is the way it looks when it is auctioned. The picture actually makes it look in better shape then it is. I'd like to see more of them go to departments in need...but sadly it is worth way more to  scrap buyers then those would undertake the work and cost to restore or sell it.

[Image: attachicon.gif]fdnyafter.jpg
I had no idea that a fire truck was worth more scrapped than being auctioned or sold at a fair market price to another department willing to rehab it.  WOW WOW WOW.