Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Destructive Fire In Colorado History 6/12/13
On going as I type is the Black Forest Fire burning in northern El Paso County, Colorado.  The fire started on June 11th in the community of Black Forest and quickly grew into a raging interface fire.  Currently northeastern portions of the City of Colorado Springs are under mandatory evacuation.  Multiple air & ground resources are assigned to the 15,000+ acre fire which destroyed 360 home as of this morning... The Waldo Canyon Fire in Colorado Springs last July destroyed 346 homes, making it the now second most destructive.   There are fears that several people may have been killed and the CO USAR TF1 has been on stand by to go search once the fire conditions calm down.

I was able to get some photos yesterday... This is what it looked like from southern Elbert County around 11 am.

Flames from fully involved structures and group torching could be seen from several miles away

Most of the air tankers were assigned to the far west side of the fire, including the DC-10 & C-130's but some would fly over us on the way to reload.

From the west side of the fire near Highway 83 & Highway 105

There was a several mile wide clear slot between two very active fingers with extreme fire behavior.  I was able to get in between them and get some clear air shots.

The Douglas County Taskforce was originally assigned to patrol the county line for spot fires.  They approached the fire which had no ground or air resources assigned and started structure protection.  When they requested assistance, they discovered there was none available and they were forced to retreat back to Douglas County. 

Here is a photo of the Taskforce retreating back out of the extreme fire behavior 1.5 miles to the east.

Just after the Douglas Taskforce got back into the county a long range spot fire was reported on Jones Road.  I followed the DCTF in and discovered a 1 acre fire burning mostly on the ground but in a heavy fuel area.

Franktown Brush 182 joined in

Douglas County has a contracted chopper for the fire season which launched when the call came in and began drops in less than 10 minutes.

Crews set up for structure protection at a nearby home

The Rampart Heli-Tender arrived to set up support operations

1UH911 made 8 drops and with ground crews working they had full containment within the hour.

1UH911 coming in for fuel

Franktown Tender 184 filling Type VI Engines

Last one... Jackson Brush 145, a cooperator Type VI Engine from the State Division of Fire Control & Prevention

Toneslider, Where do the Tankers Reload down there? I saw the USFS base in Boulder.

Also where does the Douglas Co Helo Launch from?

I saw the fires on the news and said to myself, my trip was a month to early!

Firefighter - Odenton Volunteer Fire Department

Fire Apparatus Photographer - MD/VA/PA/DE

See my photos at: http://timwolfe.smugmug.com/

Check out MarylandFireTrucks: http://marylandfiretrucks.smugmug.com
Quote:Toneslider, Where do the Tankers Reload down there? I saw the USFS base in Boulder.

Also where does the Douglas Co Helo Launch from?

I saw the fires on the news and said to myself, my trip was a month to early!

The air tankers are reloading at Peterson Air Force Base and the Choppers are reloading at the US Air Force Academy. 

The Douglas County contracted helo is provided by Rampart Helicopter Services based just southeast of Castle Rock.

It has been insane here for the past week, many big time incidents.
Nice pic

thanks for the pics stay safe

Amazing pictures. Very sobering. Hate to see so many homes lost. 

Thanks for sharing, Stay Safe.

Good photos!

tHANKs
tHANKs
Thanks guys.  The latest numbers are two people confirmed dead, a couple was found in the garage of their destroyed home next to their vehicle with doors open.  The new total is 379 homes destroyed.

THANK'S  GREAT  PHOTOS 

For those that are interested... Here is the fire perimeter map, the burn area is 15,702 acres at 30% containment.  Sadly 473 homes have been destroyed and 17 others damaged. 2 fatalities have been confirmed and others are feared.

Great reports there with fantastic pics - just stay safe!