Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Los Angeles Fire Dept
Quote:How does LAFD like the KMEs now that they've been in service for awhile? Any mechanical issues?
From what little feedback I've heard when out on trips, the LAFD guys actually like them quite a bit.  But, sometimes it depends who you talk to.
Quote:I highly doubt, that at this point in the company's questionable lifespan, that ALF would be able to handle such a large contract, much less provide warranty support. They had great difficulty even finishing out their last order to complete their contract for LAFD, and had many other issues.

With a number of manufacturers bulding tillers nowadays and more planning to enter, the market is much more competitive. KME probaly could offer the best price and service given the LACoFD contract due to a strong dominating presence in the area, plus LAFD already has KME's which is good for fleet continuity.

Although I love KME, I would love to see Seagrave bid on the contract.
I think a lot of people would like to see Seagrave bid.  KME has the upper hand a lot of time now because they have a fairly large service center in SoCal that handles the local departments, where Seagrave, from what I understand has very little dealer/maintenance presence in the southland these days.
[Image: 172_zps4adb946f.jpg]

Engine 4 rolling code thru Downtown.
Earlier a question was asked about "plug buggies."  These pickup trucks were assigned to every station to run errands and do hydrant inspections without sending out an engine or truck. Thus the name "plug buggy." They have gone from two-door cabs to crew cabs. 

[Image: 038_zpsc8c7a300.jpg]

Engine 220.
[Image: 017_zps3cdb2c72.jpg]

Rescue 874 one of 11 new BLS RA's that have been opened by cutting staffing on LAFD Light Forces from 10 to 9..
Station's 1, 20, 35 50, 69, 73, 74, 75, 78, 92 & 96 now have BLS 800 series Rescues.

Staffing was cut from the following Light Forces to man the new BLS Rescues,  Light Force 37, Light Force 12. Light Force 105, Light Force 98, Light Force 10 Light Force 60, Light Force 2, Light Force 61, Light Force 93, Light Force 29, Light Force 63.

The remaining light forces will not see staffing reductions.

So what's the difference in staffing (need a refresher on LAFD staffing)....

Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

www.staffordfirerescue.org

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com
Quote:So what's the difference in staffing (need a refresher on LAFD staffing)....

Me too!
A Task Force was/is riding 6, 4 on the truck and 2 on the engine. They dropped these to 5. 

Quote:A Task Force was/is riding 6, 4 on the truck and 2 on the engine. They dropped these to 5. 

Only the Light Force's that I have listed have seen a reduction in staffing, Task Force's like 3's, 27's and 95s remain untouched.
So whats on a Light Force and what's on a Task Force?

Jason Knecht
Fire Inspector
Township Fire Dept., Inc.
Eau Claire, WI
<p style="margin-left:7.5pt;">Copied from Code2High.com

<p style="margin-left:7.5pt;"> 

<p style="margin-left:7.5pt;">What is a Light Force (LAFD)?

LAFD Aerial Ladder TRUCKS are always accompanied by a Pump(er) apparatus. The two vehicles are dispatched and travel as a pair. They are under the command of the Officer aboard the Truck (Captain II). They are therefore considered one unit or "Company", called a Light Force in LAFD vernacular. The Light Force crew is typically composed of *six* members:

LAFD Light Force Company

Truck:

- Captain II

- Apparatus Operator (a specially trained FF)

- Firefighter

- Firefighter

- Firefighter (Tiller)

Pumper:

- Engineer (usually the sole person aboard the Pumper that follows the Truck)

<p style="margin-left:7.5pt;">What is a Task Force (LAFD)?

<p style="margin-left:7.5pt;">When both the Engine Company and Light Force Company (i.e. Truck & Pump) from the same LAFD Station respond together, they are called a "Task Force" and operate under the unified command of the Captain II on the truck. That Task Foce makes for a total of 3 vehicles, 2 companies and 10 personnel.

<p style="margin-left:7.5pt;">A Task Force consists of three pieces of apparatus: an aerial truck, an engine company and a single "pump" apparatus. A Captain, an Apparatus Operator and 3 Firefighters work on the truck. This arrangement allows for a single strong attack force that can deliver 10 emergency workers to any kind of incident with tools, ladders and hose.

People complaining about spam in the spam mail box... Huh, what'll they think of next?
[Image: 001.jpg]

Task Force 39.
[Image: IMG_4979.jpg]

Light Force 75.

Quote:<p style="margin-left:7.5pt;">Copied from Code2High.com

<p style="margin-left:7.5pt;"> 

<p style="margin-left:7.5pt;">What is a Light Force (LAFD)?

LAFD Aerial Ladder TRUCKS are always accompanied by a Pump(er) apparatus. The two vehicles are dispatched and travel as a pair. They are under the command of the Officer aboard the Truck (Captain II). They are therefore considered one unit or "Company", called a Light Force in LAFD vernacular. The Light Force crew is typically composed of *six* members:

LAFD Light Force Company

Truck:

- Captain II

- Apparatus Operator (a specially trained FF)

- Firefighter

- Firefighter

- Firefighter (Tiller)

Pumper:

- Engineer (usually the sole person aboard the Pumper that follows the Truck)

<p style="margin-left:7.5pt;">What is a Task Force (LAFD)?

<p style="margin-left:7.5pt;">When both the Engine Company and Light Force Company (i.e. Truck & Pump) from the same LAFD Station respond together, they are called a "Task Force" and operate under the unified command of the Captain II on the truck. That Task Foce makes for a total of 3 vehicles, 2 companies and 10 personnel.

<p style="margin-left:7.5pt;">A Task Force consists of three pieces of apparatus: an aerial truck, an engine company and a single "pump" apparatus. A Captain, an Apparatus Operator and 3 Firefighters work on the truck. This arrangement allows for a single strong attack force that can deliver 10 emergency workers to any kind of incident with tools, ladders and hose.

There is an exception to this Truck( that is accompanied by a single member or a 200 or 300 series Engine rule) and that is Truck company 9 that runs  by themselves and is not a Light Force as their 200 series Engine (when they were still running with them at Station 9) was made into a separate full service (4 man) Engine company that was no longer part of the Light Force.
As of July of '11, Engine 209, the only fully manned 200 series rig was taken out of service and replaced with an Rescue Ambulance. Part of cost cutting measures.
Thanks, I love the LA Task Force concept although as an outsider, it seems to make asking for extra alarms a tad confusing.

The IC will request a specific number of Task Forces and/or Engines. Depending on availability, the Engines may be a Triple or a Light Force, designated as the additional Engine.  

LAFD does not designate by alarms as other depts. do.

If additional resources are requested and utilized, the incident becomes a "Greater Alarm...."   Over 15 companies, the incident is designated as a "Major Emergency."

Quote:The IC will request a specific number of Task Forces and/or Engines. Depending on availability, the Engines may be a Triple or a Light Force, designated as the additional Engine.  

LAFD does not designate by alarms as other depts. do.

If additional resources are requested and utilized, the incident becomes a "Greater Alarm...."   Over 15 companies, the incident is designated as a "Major Emergency."

When a Task Force is dispatched on a run the Truck will go first, followed by the engine with the two car bringing up the rear, The Task Force Commander is a Captain II assigned to the Truck and he is in charge.