Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second Alarm Dwelling Fire West Haven, Ct 07/09/13
Firefighters were dispatched to a report of an alarm going off in a residence.  Upon arrival of the first due engine there was no smoke or fire visible.  After a quick size up light smoke was visible from a third floor window.  By the time firefighters started to stretch the fire blew out the third floor windows in the front.  Of course I arrived to just as they opened the line and darkened the fire down.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Truck 22 members start to perform topside ventilation as conditions on the interior worsen.

Another picture of how the conditions quickly changed.  This is what is what we on the east coast refer to as balloon frame construction and how fast fire travels in them.

This is where the fire vented upon arrival.  Note all the satellite dishes and air conditioner all on the front of the house.

Nice shots.

Good photos!

tHANKs

tHANKs
Great photos

Greg Muhr

<a class='bbc_url' href='http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/'>http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/</a>
My wife's family is from West Haven, do you recall what street the fire was on?

Jeffrey W. Shippey

Frederick County, MD
It was on Campbell ave right at the bottom os I-95 exit 43
What do your alarms consist of ? Im just curious as to what is dispatched on first , second alarm etc. Thanks

West Haven is comprised of three (3) individual fire districts, The First Taxation district, West Shore district, and the new City of West Haven Fire Department Allingtown district.  Allingtown had its own individual department until the taxpayers repeatly rejected the tax rates, which in turn was unable to fund the fire department.  The city of West Haven stepped in and took over the districts finances, hence the new name.

The fire occurred in the First District sending 3 engines, a truck, and a rescue to the scene.  Not quite sure if there was any volunteer apparautus added, but there were volunteers on the scene.  A second alarm brought additional 2 engines and another truck to the scene, one engine from West Shore District, and one engine and a truck from Allingtown.  This was a daytime weekday fire, hence the volunteer manpower, and resulted in the closure of the Exit 43 Northbound ramp from Interstate 95.

The WHFD is equipped as follows:

First District: 3 career engines, 1 volunteer engine, 1 career truck, 1 volunteer truck, 1 paramedic rescue, plus several support vehicles.

West Shore: 2 Career engines, 1 career quint, 1 career paramedic rescue

Allingtown: 1 career engine, 1 volunteer engine, 1 career truck, 1 career paramedic rescue.

Hope this helps....

That answers my question. Thanks for the reply