Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First On Scene Wildland Fire, Castle Pines CO 7-27-13
Yesterday afternoon my Fiancé, Rachel and I were driving through Castle Pines when we spotted a small amount of white smoke in the open space.  Our recent burn ban was lifted a few days ago so I assumed this was a controlled fire with a permit.  As we got closer the fire was growing and flames were visible from a mile away.  I was the first to call the comm center with multiple 911's that shortly followed.  I grabbed my department radio, Rachel took my camera and we made a 1/2 mile walk to where some people were.  

They had been shooting off model rockets which started the fire, two of them tried to put the fire out and were unable to.

The initial tone was for a small brush fire, bringing two Structure Engines and two Type 6 brush trucks.  I immediately upgraded the assignment to a large brush fire response (adding a Battalion, Safety, Wildland Duty Officer, Medic, a Type 1 Engine, 2 Type 3 Engines & Water Tender) and sized up 1/2 acre in scrub oak with moderate spread.

(No PPE due to the large football field which served as a more than adequate safety zone)

Occasional torching and running with 5-6 foot flame length. 

The initial response went to the opposite side of this hill where some homes backed up to the open space.

Engine 36 took command on the opposite side of the fire and assigned me as "Lookout" for the incident.

Captain Adams (Safety 33) joined me on the west side of the fire.

Once it got into the flashy fuels it started to spread a bit faster (as expected)

Still waiting for a suppression unit.

Brush 36 was the first to make access to our side of the fire.

We retreated deeper into the safety zone as the fire hit the green field which acted as a natural fire break.  The torching scrub oak put off a decent amount of heat, Brush Engine 43 arrived at that point.

South Metro Red 3 (Unimog) and Brush 40 staged.

The fire was 100% contained within 45 minutes and ended up at a 2nd Alarm equivalent.  The Douglas County Hand Crew responded and mop-up / saw work in the black went on for several hours.  Estimated size was 3 acres.

Every time I see your photos, I want to move to CO to join you all on some of these fires.  Very nice work!

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Good photos!

tHANKs
tHANKs
Great Shots.

Quote:The fire was 100% contained within 45 minutes and ended up at a 2nd Alarm equivalent.  The Douglas County Hand Crew responded and mop-up / saw work in the black went on for several hours.  Estimated size was 3 acres.

What happened to the people who started it?
Quote:Every time I see your photos, I want to move to CO to join you all on some of these fires.  Very nice work!
But you'd have to grow the mandatory side burns!  Toneslider12:  Good catch an as always great coverage! 
Thanks guys!

Quote:What happened to the people who started it?
I'm not sure if they got charged but I'm guessing not. All of our burn bans are lifted currently, with no intent or property loss typically it's left as an accident with no charges.

Quote:But you'd have to grow the mandatory side burns!  Toneslider12:  Good catch an as always great coverage! 
That's funny! It does seem like chops are a requirement around here now.
Great coverage and pics of the incident. I thought your explanations were very good.