Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
08/25/14 New Haven 4th Alarm 882 Whalley Avenue
08/25/14 New Haven, CT-  New Haven Firefighters received a 911 call and an AFA, shortly after six o'clock in the evening, from Delaney's Tap Room, reporting smoke in the basement.  Responding firefighters found a two story frame, residential over commercial with fire showing on the outside of the building extending up the siding.  Live wires were also arcing on the establishment and poles near by.  Firefighters attempted to make an interior attack,  but were thwarted by the catacomb like basement of the nearly 150 year old building, the heavy smoke and electrically charged premises.  Battalion Chief Gould pulled members from the building and transmitted the second alarm.  
Companies prepared for the firefight as heavy smoke pushed from the building.  Due to the construction of the building and numerous additions over the years the fire would burn for over six hours requiring the need for two more alarms.  Thick, acrid, brown smoke poured from establishment, blanketing the area and making the exterior firefight extremely difficult.  
Parts of the 150 year old building eventually collapsed into itself helping firefighter gain the upper hand and douse the fire. Heavy equipment would have to be brought in the next day to assist in extinguishing the pockets of fire.  The establishment was a total loss.
Multiple firefighter were transported with various injuries from the blaze.  The state fire marshal was brought in to help with determining a cause of the blaze.

Attached Files Image(s)

Roof operations, prior to the plug being pulled on the offensive operations.

Attached Files Image(s)

This acrid brown smoke pushed from the building for a while before the area went lights out.

Attached Files Image(s)

The building was about 150x100 residential over commercial.  Fire broke out like this all over the building. 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Four ladders and who knows how many gallons of water and the fire still burned for six hours.

For the tiller fans.

Plenty of time to look for photos.  Guys on the roof.

I was able to get on the roof of the bank next store.  Note the crack and sag of the building.

Last one, my homage to Detroit, dumpin the monitor.  I took over three hundred photos please have a look.

Attached Files Image(s)

Great shots Glenn!
Wow! Fantastic photos!

Yes great work. Thanks for sharing them.

Chester
Great pictures. I've been past this building a million times.

Great photos of very nasty smoke. I love #9 and the white apparatus.

Fantastic shots.

Thanks for sharing

Great shots.
Greg Muhr

<a class='bbc_url' href='http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/'>http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/</a>
awesome job

Nice work! I love New Haven's white paints scheme.  Really makes me miss Baltimore's old white and Omaha orange rigs.

This is the fire that Dave Statter has an article posted on his site about some leadership /collapse issues ... Thanks for the pics
Unfortunately I was on my way down to Delaney's when the fire started, I live only 10 minutes away.  Needless to say my phone started going haywire with all the calls and texts what was going on.  It was a good neighborhood establishment with a ton of geat beers on tap and in stock along with some great food.  The owner of the resturant had an extensive burbon and wine collection in the basement as well.

Fortunately no one who was in Delaney's and the appartments up stairs was hurt and everyone was able to get out.  Ironically the first due engine company, Engine 15 is just a block or two up the street on the back side (the road in the first picture).  They were operating at another two alarm fire a few roads past this incident (still thier first due) and were getting ready to clear.