Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car in the River, Portland 10-8-14
Around 06:30, for unknown reasons, a car went into the Columbia River from Marine Drive. A witness reported the driver was able to climb out, but he and the car went under water before anyone could reach him. On arrival, Engine 2 set up a low angle rope rescue system because of the steep bank.

The victim was recovered about 30 minutes later by Portland Fire's Rescue Boat 17 and a Multnomah County Sheriff's boat.

Marine Drive has been the scene of many such incidents and fatal wrecks over the years.

Because there are two major rivers in Portland, the Columbia and the Willamette, we have many fire and rescue boats. In addition to the 9 Portland boats, there is a boat at PDX, the Portland International Airport, one at Gresham Station 75, just east of Portland and several Multnomah County Sheriff's boats. The Portland boat gallery is here:  http://dickh.zenfolio.com/f888928773

[Image: p894573522-4.jpg]

3 boats responded. Far left, PDX boat, center, Sheriff's boat, right, Portland RB17.

[Image: p726327422-4.jpg]

[Image: p1021790557-4.jpg]

[Image: p612062312-4.jpg]

[Image: p777778063-4.jpg]

[Image: p1058319980-4.jpg]

[Image: p1006362877-4.jpg]

Nice pictures Dick. Any information on when the two new boats from Oregon Ironworks are supposed to be in service? I'd read where they were hoping to put the first boat through trials in August. Thanks.

Quote:Nice pictures Dick. Any information on when the two new boats from Oregon Ironworks are supposed to be in service? I'd read where they were hoping to put the first boat through trials in August. Thanks.

I heard they had to change some parts in order to meet the specs. They might be ready in a month or two???
Quote: 

I heard they had to change some parts in order to meet the specs. They might be ready in a month or two???
Thanks for the reply! Looking forward to seeing them on the water. Fairly big pumping capacity for a 55' boat.

http://www.oregoniron.com/featured/portl...fireboats/