Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
This & That from Here & There
   From Pooler, we went to the part of Bryan County that is south of Fort Stewart.  We hit three stations, but didn't shoot the pumpers at two of them as they were just more of the seven like we had already shot.  The Firefighter at Station 1 agreed to meet us at Station 10 to pull out the engine there, since it is an unstaffed station.

Tanker 2, Bryan County, GA

1984 Ford LN-8000/Good Hope

250/1800

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quint 10, Bryan County, GA

2002 Pierce Dash 2000

1500/500/55' Skyboom

Quote:Quint 10, Bryan County, GA

2002 Pierce Dash 2000

1500/500/55' Skyboom

GA_Dave,

if I'm not mistaken. I believe this is X-Largo, FL.

Kelvin Carter Jr.

Firefighter - Chillum-Adelphi VFD, Langley Park, MD
Quote:GA_Dave,

if I'm not mistaken. I believe this is X-Largo, FL.
My bad, I forgot to put that down.  This is what happens when my wife is in a hurry so I can take her to lunch.....
   This past Saturday I had the rare opportunity to visit the Dobbins Air Reserve Base Fire Department in Marietta, GA.  They were hosts to the monthly meeting of the Metro Fire Association of Atlanta.  Unfortunately, two of their newer apparatus were temporarily assigned elsewhere, but contacts have been made and arrangements will be made to photograph them soon.  I was able to get photos of the remaining fleet.

Engine 47

1994 KME P-22B

1250/750/25AF/25BF

#GSO-2407

The above engine and this rescue run out of the side of the station, closest to the gate away from the runways.  The remainder of the apparatus are housed in bays which face the runways.

Rescue 43

2002 Freightliner FL-70/Pierce P-30 4x4

#13399-01

Dobbins has a well equipped Haz Mat Team.  The Department frequently responds off base to assist on incidents with other FD's.

Haz Mat 41

2010 KME Predator SS

Wells Cargo Haz Mat trailer

#GSO-7699

A close-up of Haz Mat 41.

Engine 48

1996 KME P-22B

1250/750/25AF/25BF

#GSO-3055

Crash 42

1994 E\-One/Continental-Teledyne P-23/2010 C.R.E.S. refurb

2000/3300/500F/500PKP 8x8

This pumper was recently received from another base and will be assigned as a reserve engine. 

Engine 0

1995 KME P-22B

1250/750/25AF/25BF

#GSO-2618

Quote:   One of our primary targets was Pooler, where we met up again with "chief60" and photographed all his new rigs since our last visit.  Thanks, Chief!

Tower 64, Pooler, GA

2009 Pierce Arrow XT

2000/300/100'

#21291.
Nice Photos. When I tried to photograph Pooler a week and a half ago every station I hit was empty. Nice to see what I missed.
Firefighter - Odenton Volunteer Fire Department

Fire Apparatus Photographer - MD/VA/PA/DE

See my photos at: http://timwolfe.smugmug.com/

Check out MarylandFireTrucks: http://marylandfiretrucks.smugmug.com
Quote:Nice Photos. When I tried to photograph Pooler a week and a half ago every station I hit was empty. Nice to see what I missed.
The Chief at Pooler is a Firepics member and has always been very accomodating to me.  I'd suggest contacting him first if you are going to return.
   There are no "rules" in this hobby.  The criteria for enjoyment and satisfaction are as varied as the faces of all of us who enjoy it.  There are those of us who will only shoot a rig on a perfect day, where others shoot at any opportunity they get.  Some are content to sit and look at other people's photos all day, but some of us will see a rig and just HAVE to go shoot it themselves.  Of this, I am guilty.

Several days ago, my buddy Andrew Messer posted a shot of a pink vinyl wrapped Pierce from Hendersonville, NC.  The wrap will be removed in about a week.  I could not resist, I HAD to add this to my collection.  Heck, it's ONLY a 165 mile trip.... each way! 

Since the rig has been posted on Firepics already, I won't waste the bandwidth to post my shot, nor will I post the two other rigs I shot, because Andrew has also posted them already.  On the way back home, I did stop and shoot this rig:

Engine 502, Berea Fire District, Greenville, SC

2014 Pierce Impel

1500/750

Nice shot of the Berea truck Dave! With all of the stations in Spartanburg & Greenville Counties its difficult to keep up with the new deliveries. Spartan Fire certainly does a good business selling Pierce rigs in that area but seems like that is the only brand. I'd love to see more variety with Sutphen, KME, Smeal or some other manufacturer from a buffing standpoint.
Micah Bodford
Fire Investigator
City of Winston-Salem Fire Dept.
That could be the engine DOD loaned to Minneapolis Airports Commission as part of the agreement for protecting the barracks, it had recently become a spare so they may have had to give it back. Here is a picture for reference.

http://northstarfirepics.smugmug.com/Min.../i-s4ZGCwW

John Degenhardt Photo

I realize there are many engines like that, the amber light on top caught my eye as similar and upon further review so did the lights.

[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
Used to be Sutphen country here in Greenville. Now its gonna be Pierce. we currently run Sutphen Quints, but out next one on order will be a Pierce strait stick.

Quote:Nice shot of the Berea truck Dave! With all of the stations in Spartanburg & Greenville Counties its difficult to keep up with the new deliveries. Spartan Fire certainly does a good business selling Pierce rigs in that area but seems like that is the only brand. I'd love to see more variety with Sutphen, KME, Smeal or some other manufacturer from a buffing standpoint.
It seems to be that way everywhere.  One brand dominates an area for a while, but then another takes its place.  In this particular area, Pierce has taken over, but just a couple years ago, Sutphen was selling like hotcakes.  Years back, it was ALF territory.  I think these things are cyclic and that even though new deliveries in the area are mostly Pierce, there is still a wide variety of apparatus builders represented there.
Truck 47, Hartsfield-Jackson-Atlanta International Airport, Atlanta, GA (Station 24, not yet in service)

2014 KME Predator SS

0/0/101' TDA

#GSO-9540

Quote:It seems to be that way everywhere.  One brand dominates an area for a while, but then another takes its place.  In this particular area, Pierce has taken over, but just a couple years ago, Sutphen was selling like hotcakes.  Years back, it was ALF territory.  I think these things are cyclic and that even though new deliveries in the area are mostly Pierce, there is still a wide variety of apparatus builders represented there.
Gwinnett just awarded an 8 pumper order to Pierce...sorry...I just about vomited as I typed that!!