Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
This & That from Here & There
Quote:Gwinnett just awarded an 8 pumper order to Pierce...sorry...I just about vomited as I typed that!!
I understand your point, but I also appreciate the variety of apparatus that it gives me to shoot.  At least they didn't return to the previous builder or back to commercials.....
Scooby, not to drive a dead horse into the ground and I'm sure you've had lots of questions come your way but how much longer until the SPH's are back up and running. Do you think those issues may have swayed Gwinnett towards TEN 8 and Pierce?
Quote:Scooby, not to drive a dead horse into the ground and I'm sure you've had lots of questions come your way but how much longer until the SPH's are back up and running. Do you think those issues may have swayed Gwinnett towards TEN 8 and Pierce?

Probably. The SPH's are being repaired as parts come in. We only receive 2 kits every 2 weeks. Cobb has a truck at the shop right now.
thank you for the honest assessment, I hope they are able to bounce back from this
Quote:thank you for the honest assessment, I hope they are able to bounce back from this

Sutphen will be fine, I have no doubts of that.

Unfortunately, this was a terrible accident and there are 3 brothers that will never be the same. Sutphen will suffer some, but I know Drew and he will make the company and product better than it ever was.
We really loved our truck up until this fiasco, and a lot of people I know in the fire service are really down on Sutphen with this issue. I know of many customers who ran away from the product.

Coupled with that facility in the East...

If the fixes work, the company should be back to normal in a few years. But I'd be lying if I said that as a Captain I didn't have any thoughts in the back of my mind about the main. We count on our equipment as a zero fail for our work, any discrepancy makes you have doubt and doubt isn't good in our business.....just my opinion.

Quote:We really loved our truck up until this fiasco, and a lot of people I know in the fire service are really down on Sutphen with this issue. I know of many customers who ran away from the product.

Coupled with that facility in the East...

If the fixes work, the company should be back to normal in a few years. But I'd be lying if I said that as a Captain I didn't have any thoughts in the back of my mind about the main. We count on our equipment as a zero fail for our work, any discrepancy makes you have doubt and doubt isn't good in our business.....just my opinion.
I understand, and I've been a career firefighter for 22 years. I'll die knowing that Sutphen aerials are the strongest in the market (what other ones can flow 4500gpm at 110')?

The update makes the SPH a BEAST!! Does that mean the SPH was inferior prior to this?? Absolutely not!! I'm sure Pierce is making improvements to their Tak4. EVERY manufacturer and their products need continual evaluation.
Quote:Truck 47, Hartsfield-Jackson-Atlanta International Airport, Atlanta, GA (Station 24, not yet in service)

2014 KME Predator SS

0/0/101' TDA

#GSO-9540
I thought T43 09 Pierce Arrow XT was assigned to  Sta 24?
Firefighter - Odenton Volunteer Fire Department

Fire Apparatus Photographer - MD/VA/PA/DE

See my photos at: http://timwolfe.smugmug.com/

Check out MarylandFireTrucks: http://marylandfiretrucks.smugmug.com
Quote:I thought T43 09 Pierce Arrow XT was assigned to  Sta 24?
It is.  The folks that decided to purchase the quints are no longer in charge.  Those who are in charge want TDA's.  KME will be building another TDA and the quints will be removed from service.  Disposition is unknown at this time.  I was told that T-41 had broken rear springs and that putting T-47 in service might get moved up, moving T-43 to replace T-41 until the second new TDA is ready.
Does anybody have an up to date roster for Atlanta they could share?
Quote:Does anybody have an up to date roster for Atlanta they could share?
Not exactly a roster, but here's the info I have:

Station locations - http://www.atlantaga.gov/index.aspx?page=221

All engines are 2000-2001 Spartan/Quality 1500/500/60F or the new KME's.  Check the Atlanta thread or this one for the locations of all of the KME's.  E-11 is a 2009, E-2 and 22 are 2011's.  All the rest, so far, are 2013's, but some 2014's are coming.  I know E-1, 6 (station 4), and 28 have them, but I don't recall the rest.

Nine Spartan/Quality 105' AI TDA's and four Spartan/Quality 90' LTI midship aerials were delivered in 2001-2002.  The midships are L-25, 26, 29 and 31.  L-11 runs the 2009 Pierce Arrow XT 100' Platform.  New KME 101' TDA's arrived in 2013 and are at L-1, 14 and 16, with the rest of the trucks (L-2, 10, 12, 15?, 21, and 38) running the Spartan/Quality TDA's.

Special Units - Air Unit @1 (2007 IH 4400/E-One), Command Unit @3 (2007 IH 7600/Custom Works), Squad 4 (2006 Spartan/E-One), Collapse Rescue (2008 IH 4400/Interstate Truck) was at 4, but not sure where it is now, GSAR @8 (2004 Rosenbauer/General Safety), Mini pumper 11 and 23 (2008 Ford F-350/Southeastern Apparatus Sales250/250), Hose Tender 27 (2005 Ford F-350/AFD), and Foam Unit 28 (2014 KW T-800/KME 3000/0/2000F).

Atlanta-Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport has Stations 24, 32, 33, 35 and 40.  If you go back through this thread or Mark Carr's thread, most everything is shown. 
GSAR @ 21, has been for some time.
Thanks for the run down Dave!
Quote:GSAR @ 21, has been for some time.
Okay, I stand corrected.  Do you know the current location of the Collapse Rescue and if there is still a Truck at Station 15?
Quote:Thanks for the run down Dave!
Now that I'm on the correct computer, the 2013 KME pumpers are at Engines 1, 6, 16, 17, and 28, plus the four at the Airport (24, 32, 35 and 40).  Two more were delivered in 2014, but I don't have assignments.
15 and 38 got the 2 2014's
   My longtime friend Dan came down to Georgia to spend the Holiday with his daughter.  It rained the earlier part of the week, but was decent today and will be for at least half of tomorrow.  We hit a few stations north of Atlanta today and will be heading south tomorrow for a few more.

Engine 2, Smyrna, GA

2014 Pierce Arrow XT

1500/750/20AF

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

From there, we headed west to Paulding County.  I was looking for a pair of new pumpers that have not yet been delivered and an ARFF truck recently purchased for a large expansion to the County's airport.  It isn't in service yet, but resides at their training center, which was unstaffed today due to the holiday.  Maybe next week.....

Anyway, we did manage to get the currently newest rig in their fleet.  It has a twin at Engne 5.

Engine 2, Paulding County, GA

2010 International 4400/Southern Fire

1250/750

Engine 5, Cedartown, GA

2014 Pierce Contender

1500/750

#27802TR

Engine 1, Bartow County, GA

2008 Spartan/Rosenbauer (Central States)

1250/1000