Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Omaha, NE - Working Fire - December 23, 2014
A full first-alarm assignment consisting of 4 engines, 2 trucks, 1 heavy rescue, 1 air support unit, 1 medic unit, 2 battalion chiefs and the EMS supervisor were dispatched to a reported structure fire at 4805 South 22nd Street in Omaha. Engine and Truck 31 arrived and reported heavy smoke showing. Upon entry, crews encountered heavy fire in the basement of the structure. Two additional medic units plus several support units (command post, investigators, etc.) responded above the first alarm. 

The structure was rooming house that had been subdivided into 22 units. Media reports indicate that there were no working smoke detectors in the building. In addition, the property had a history of code violations. 

Crews removed one male and one female from the basement. Both were transported from scene in extremely critical condition. The female victim died a short time later. The male victim is still hospitalized in critical condition. 

I have some pretty powerful images of the crews performing CPR and removing the victims to ambulances; however I will not post these images as they may violate the FirePics posting guidelines. 

The first image shows the front of the structure. Engine 31 was supplied by a plug in front of the building with a single section of 5" hose. 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

There was still a moderate smoke condition inside the building. 

Attached Files Image(s)

Rescue 33 officer confers with Battalion 1

Attached Files Image(s)

Several residents were in the building at the time of the fire. 

Attached Files Image(s)

A member from one of the suppression companies quickly doffs his SCBA to assist one of the victims. 

Attached Files Image(s)

Medic 34's cot is brought to the front yard for the male victim. Again, I won't post the CPR photos, but they show an incredible commitment by the members of both the suppression and medic companies to save lives of the two residents removed from the basement. They also show the value of Omaha's paramedic-staffed engine and truck companies. 

Attached Files Image(s)

Truck 31 runs this Sutphen mini-tower with no pump or tank.

Although this is a dry truck, Omaha's trucks carry a small amount 5" LDH.

Engine 3 is an HME/Toyne. Truck 1's Sutphen 95' tower is in the background. 

Engine 1 was running a spare HME/Central States.

Rescue 30 (air support) was also running with a spare. Not sure on the manufacturer. 

Specs are posted on the city's website for a new air and light truck along with two 100' aerials. 

Rear view...

Rescue 33...

Tough day for all involved...

Attached Files Image(s)

Great pictures thank you for sharing. That part of Omaha is made up of all older houses.

Dave
Great pictures! Glad to hear they saved 2 out of the basement. Having paramedics on the engines is a real benefit in situations like that.

Also Interesting variety of apparatus.

Thanks for sharing.

Great photos!

Greg Muhr

<a class='bbc_url' href='http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/'>http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/</a>
Nice series of photos as always.

On T31, I see the intakes on both sides of the rigs - are these simply the aerial inlets?  It almost looks like a pump panel on the driver's side.

Thanks!

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Quote:Nice series of photos as always.

On T31, I see the intakes on both sides of the rigs - are these simply the aerial inlets?  It almost looks like a pump panel on the driver's side.

Thanks!

I believe that these are just inlets to the ladder pipe. As the victims were being removed from the building, the police pretty much secured the entire block so I didn't have an opportunity to get a closer look. MFD61KS may have more information on this rig. This is the first 'dry' Sutphen mini-tower that I've photographed.