Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pooler, GA Structure Fire w/ Mutual Aid 1/3/15
At 11:51 units were dispatched to Avala Apartments for a structure fire in a garage. Pooler responded with Engine 62, 61, 64, 63, Tower 64, Chief 60 for a total of 17 personnel. Engine 62 and 61 arrived together and found heavy fire from the Delta side of the 7500 sq. ft. office/amenities center coming from the maintenance garage area. Toward the end of the fire a firefighter from another agency relayed that prior to our arrival, bystanders had attempted to open the garage door and when it got up about 2', the rear windows blew out of the storage area like a backdraft. Units deployed a total of 3 - 2" attack lines and were able to bring the fire under control in about 15 minutes. we received mutual aid from Garden City Ladder 22 and Savannah Engine 13.

I was able to get a couple of pictures and a couple from one of our city councilwoman that lives in the complex. First pictures of Tower 64 starting ventilation. Conditions were much worse but most was blowing out the rear at this time.

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

#3 Mostly smoke but this is Engine 61 doing overhaul in the rear porch and outside the maintenance garage.

Attached Files Image(s)

#4  Photo courtesy Councilwoman Shannon Black. Not quite as sharp as the original due to downsizing to fit.

Attached Files Image(s)

I will post a few more that were taken by others when I get them. 

Attached Files Image(s)

#6 just after the first two engines arrived.

Attached Files Image(s)

Very nice photos and thank you for sharing. As an apartment complex maintenance worker this is one of our biggest nightmares.

Dave
Great shots! I stopped by and got pictures of Pooler's engine 61 on my way back from Florida to Massachusetts. I was told that Pooler's getting a new fire station built and some new apparatus. So next year when make my road trip I have a plan to stop and get some more shots of the apparatus. Just like to add the crew I met were very friendly and helpful.

Quote:Great shots! I stopped by and got pictures of Pooler's engine 61 on my way back from Florida to Massachusetts. I was told that Pooler's getting a new fire station built and some new apparatus. So next year when make my road trip I have a plan to stop and get some more shots of the apparatus. Just like to add the crew I met were very friendly and helpful.

Excellent! Glad they treated you well, it is good to hear they are doing what is right when I'm not around. Rebuilt Station 1 and New Station 5 should be done by mid-October. The 4 new engines are due for final inspection in June and the Tiller has been moved up to mid-July. Another department needed more time to get their unit designed properly and we were able to swap slots. Engines should start arriving at their stations in July, they will be E63, E64, E62, then E61. 61 will not go into service until the new station opens, they will keep the 2013 Impel until then. The Impel will then become E65. The tiller will get equipment mounted then a LONG training period before it goes in service, probably not until around Thanksgiving if I had to bet. Let me know next time you are in the area and I will try to get a few units to one spot for you, our 2009 tower came from up your way.