Pacific Northwest
Here are the last two Kenworth's Seattle bought in 1976 first one Engine 2
Here is the last 1976 Kenworth Engine 27 and I believe it started as Engine 25
Here is Engine 10's old apparatus 389
Here is Mountain View Fire District East of Auburn Engine 48
Another Mountain View Engine 46
Here is Black Diamonds Old Rescue
Here are Whidbey Island District 2's Old Apparatus now up in Malden Washington
Here are two Fire Engines that once belonged to Whidbey Island Fire District 2 now located in Malden WA
Man, these pics bring back memories, and make me homesick. I grew up in the Puget Sound area (Bremerton), back when those KWs were being built. King-TV (Ch.5) had a kids science show, "Tell Me How It Works", or something like that, and they did a segment on the KWs being built. The thing I remember most from the segment, was the SFD spokesman explaining why they bought them. IIRC, he said, Seattle has steep hills and, the KWs had the power to climb the hills and they just worked better for the SFD. Still looks strange to my eyes to see Seattle without KWs.

Is it safe to say that the 1976 KW's had access on both sides for the rear jumpseat area?

Thanks in advance!

Quote:Is it safe to say that the 1976 KW's had access on both sides for the rear jumpseat area?

Thanks in advance!
Yes.  The two 1976 Curtis-Kenworth triple combination pumpers (Apparatus numbers 354, and 355) were the last ones ordered by the Seattle Fire Department.  They were described as having been delivered with large factory installed enclosed crew cabs.  Most of the previous units had different types of crew enclosures added by the shops, each one with its' own unique and at times dangerous way of entering and exiting.

In a future issue of Vintage Fire Truck & Equipment magazene, a featured article written by renowned Pacific Northwest fire apparatus photographer Bill Hattersly, will focus on the subject of SFD's attraction to Kenworth fire apparatus.  It should be a good read and should include a good variety of SFD Kenworth pumper photos.

Firepics Post 1861

D23751 E2 SFD APP 354

1976 Curtis-Kenworth triple combination pumper with body work by Heiser

Hale 1750 GPM centrifugal pump, booster tank, 400 gallons

Detroit Diesel, 350 HP

Delivered early 1977 at E2

E2  1977-1992

E20 1992-1994

E16 1994-1996

Reserve 1996-2003

Sold 2003

Firepics Post 1862

D23750 E27 SFD APP 355

1976 Curtis-Kenworth triple combination pumper with body work by Heiser

Hale 1750 GPM centrifugal pump, booster tank, 400 gallons

Detroit Diesel, 350 HP

Delivered late 1976 at Attack 16

ATTACK16  1977-1980

E16 1980-1981

E31 1981-1985

E25 1985-1992

E27 1992-1995

Reserve 1995-2004

Sold 2004

Interestingly, only these two units had a very unique type of tilting engine cover, evidenced by the visible seem on the front fenders.

I cannot emphasize enough how spectacular those 1976 KWs were in person. Most of the other KWs had an unfinished look to them, since they had been modified over the years by the shops to add compartments or a crew cab area. Not the two '76s. They just looked tough.

I also was in law school from 1999-2002 at Seattle U on Capitol Hill, and I would occasionally see them in service as reserves at Engine 25. Usually I'd know they were being used when they were responding not because of their audible emergency equipment, but because of their engines. They were the loudest rigs I've ever heard. You could hear the engine from blocks away. Those were such awesome rigs, and all of these photos are really bringing back very fond memories of going to fires in Seattle with my dad when I was a kid. Thanks for posting!
Quote:Here is city of SeaTac's Open Cap Ladder Truck
If anybody receives the Vintage Fire Truck and Equipment magazine there is a an article in the March/April 17' edition about this ladder truck and how it was rebuilt from a brand new American Lafrance TDA that was wrecked in a train derailment during delivery, it was originally slated to be delivered to Tacoma, WA. 
Transverse....thanks for the info! Additional question....what was the difference between an 'attack' and an 'engine' since those last 2 KW's were each assigned one of those designators?

Thanks in advance!

Bob can probably chime in with more specifics, but my understanding was that the 1970s attack units were engine companies with increased manpower that were dispatched on all fires. I think there was one in the north end at 16, and then one at 19 before it was torn down. 19 then moved to 10. I think they were staffed with 6 people and were designed to supplement first alarm staffing levels.
I tried but couldn't confirm the original Attack 10 staffing when the special unit was first organized in 1972, using one of the new under-powered '72 KW's.  Not long after a new rig was ordered specifically for Attack 10.  It was configured with the more conventional V8 350 HP Detroit Diesel engine, ladders were stored beneath the middle of the hose bed, large compartments were in place on both sides of the body with hard suctions carrier on top of each side.  A wider crew cab was included, wide enough to sit three firefighters across making for a five man crew unit.

Photographer Unknown

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Here is one of two Ward LaFrance Seattle Owned This one being Ladder 7
Here the other two Mack Anderson's Seattle had in there fleet this one being Engine 41
This one being Engine 39
Here is one of Seattle 1987 Spartans