Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Los Angeles Fire Dept
Quote:am relatively sure they go by "Fire 1", not Air 1
Correct all LAFD Helos go by Fire then their #.
Firefighter - Odenton Volunteer Fire Department

Fire Apparatus Photographer - MD/VA/PA/DE

See my photos at: http://timwolfe.smugmug.com/

Check out MarylandFireTrucks: http://marylandfiretrucks.smugmug.com
LA question maybe Jfong knows. I was viewing recent Lafd pics.....RA (Ambulance) personnel no longer wears the blue helmets?
Quote:LA question maybe Jfong knows. I was viewing recent Lafd pics.....RA (Ambulance) personnel no longer wears the blue helmets?
\

Back in the 1980s LAFD Paramedics and EMT'S were single function they were only Paramedics and EMT's and not cross trained as Firefighters like they are today.
[Image: 019_zpsezwwjf0g.jpg]

Advanced Provider 15.
Quote:\Back in the 1980s LAFD Paramedics and EMT'S were single function they were only Paramedics and EMT's and not cross trained as Firefighters like they are today.

Thanks Monrovia!
Kind of curious as to why the advanced practice nurse unit?  Is it to respond to 911 calls or is it for transport purposes?  The reason I ask is that there isn't much a NP can do differently compared to a properly trained paramedic so this leads me to think it is a way to recoup money from insurance by charging for critical care costs or to make house calls to possibly prevent transport of patients.

Quote:Kind of curious as to why the advanced practice nurse unit?  Is it to respond to 911 calls or is it for transport purposes?  The reason I ask is that there isn't much a NP can do differently compared to a properly trained paramedic so this leads me to think it is a way to recoup money from insurance by charging for critical care costs or to make house calls to possibly prevent transport of patients.

Its primarily to channel frequent "Users" of 911 and ambulance transport into more appropriate services, as well as treat and release on scene for minor issues. I don't believe it is used as a Critical Care Unit per se. I just saw a presentation on this at a conference. This sort of thing is the wave of the future for EMS....Getting the frequent users of ambulance transport and ER visits into the more appropriate types of care and services they generally actually need. 
[Image: 046_zps4hdyc4rd.jpg]

Engine 9 now in a KME.
Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href="http://s736.photobucket.com/user/Monrovia1/media/Los%20Angeles%20Fire%20Dept/Central%20Bureau/Battalion%201/046_zps4hdyc4rd.jpg.html">[Image: 046_zps4hdyc4rd.jpg]</a>Engine 9 now in a KME.

I see that the "Skid Row" label is properly back in place after several years of the "PC POLICE" banning the use of that term...
John I.

Fire/EMS Dispatcher / EMT-B

Fire Apparatus Photographer / Hobbyist

www.fireapparatusphotos.com

www.flickr.com/image7801

Nikon D5600 (retired: Nikon D90) / Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
Quote:Its primarily to channel frequent "Users" of 911 and ambulance transport into more appropriate services, as well as treat and release on scene for minor issues. I don't believe it is used as a Critical Care Unit per se. I just saw a presentation on this at a conference. This sort of thing is the wave of the future for EMS....Getting the frequent users of ambulance transport and ER visits into the more appropriate types of care and services they generally actually need.
They were talking about that being the wave of the future back in '94 when I was in medic school..... There was talk of putting Physicians Assistants or Nurse Practitioners on rigs to do follow up visits, as well as help direct non-emergent patients to more appropriate care.

As I recall Phoenix was working on a pilot program, along with Taxi vouchers which could be used for non-emergency transport once cleared by medics on scene. I don't think either continued for long. PAs and NPs are kind of getting beyond the EMS function and more into public health so stepping on toes. The Taxi vouchers was a potential PR nightmare if anything went wrong.
Aaron Woods
Quote:They were talking about that being the wave of the future back in '94 when I was in medic school..... There was talk of putting Physicians Assistants or Nurse Practitioners on rigs to do follow up visits, as well as help direct non-emergent patients to more appropriate care.

As I recall Phoenix was working on a pilot program, along with Taxi vouchers which could be used for non-emergency transport once cleared by medics on scene. I don't think either continued for long. PAs and NPs are kind of getting beyond the EMS function and more into public health so stepping on toes. The Taxi vouchers was a potential PR nightmare if anything went wrong.

Tennessee just started a program to use paramedics in this role.  It will require additional training, but they haven't designed that program just yet.  They are calling them community medics and will be used for post hospital followup care.
[Image: 224_zpswlmzfz2b.jpg]

New Heavy Rescue 3.
Hey Monrovia... What was the drive to move the HR to sta.3 from 56...was it based on runs, geography ?? also I came across a video that showed both heavy Rescue wreckers running hot to a call... are both staffed now..

Jim Kay

Retired Firefighter/Paramedic

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
Better geographical location. Moving Heavy Rescue 3 from Station 56 to Station 3 puts it in a more centralized location as well as now being housed with USAR 3. There has been talk about putting into a service a second Heavy Rescue at Station 89 but that's yet to happen.

[Image: 221_zpsiylvfova.jpg]

EMS 1.

Monrovia1 is awesome, I depend on him for all my LAFD and Southern California information and photos, and I don't want to step on anything he said. I just want add to it based on conversations with some members recently.

With the arrival of the new HR56/3, the one that it replaced became a fully equipped spare that can be pressed into service should trained members be available. The former spare will be kept at Station 88 for use during large scale emergencies.

Many members of HR56 were not happy with the move. They were happy where they were. It's harder for them to get to when changing shifts, and the traffic situation downtown isn't ideal. Even with the more central location, the traffic often negates any benefit of that. The former location allowed them a more peripheral access to many areas of the city. It was said that the move was based on one higher up Chief who wanted it.
Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
What's the deal with the new Pierce TDAs? Aren't we coming up on a year ago for some of them being delivered? What's the hold up with them going into service?
Quote:What's the deal with the new Pierce TDAs? Aren't we coming up on a year ago for some of them being delivered? What's the hold up with them going into service?
"Warranty Issues" is what I keep hearing.
[Image: 010_zpsycirqhi2.jpg]

Truck 35.
[Image: 168_zps5fjghdh9.jpg]

Engine 298 running in a reserve 99 Pierce.