Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kansas
 I see on the Pierce Flickr Page there are 2 Pierce Dash CF PUC's with what looks to be 100' Sticks labeled Ladder 1 and Ladder 2. also a little further down is a new Truck 1 for Wichita

Grubber33270, See Below....  (**Hmmm....the quote didn't come through.  I must have screwed up somehow, so copy and paste will do okay)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, well somehow I am messing up.  There is a post on Page 32 (#634 I Believe) that provides information about the Wichita Quints/Ladders

Quote:Okay, well somehow I am messing up.  There is a post on Page 32 (#634 I Believe) that provides information about the Wichita Quints/Ladders
Correct SWL514.

Just found out the Fire Department powers opted for a 75ft ladder and the new all steer instead of the 105ft ladder with no all steer. I guess with the RFP the price and 75ft ladder all steer option was a wash compared to the 105ft. The line officers and firemen would have preferred the 105ft stick for the ladders. The 75ft ladders don't have the reach required in the sprawling midwestern cities. This was one of the many reasons KCFD dumped the three 75ft Quints after the 2005-2007 new order.  
Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri
Hopefully, in the next go-around, politics won't be involved.  Any idea when any new orders will be placed?  I am hoping to get back to Wichita in the end of September and ride with my friend.

Quote:It is an awesome photo. But, I am surprised at the lack of a stripe on the front since NFPA requires it.
It does have a stripe on the front its continued on the front bumper 
Quote:It does have a stripe on the front its continued on the front bumper 

Correct....on WICHITA's new engines.  The post you commented on was related to the Hutchinson, KS new Saber, that does not have a stripe on the front end in the photograph

Quote:It does have a stripe on the front its continued on the front bumper 
The stripe has since been replaced. It was delivered to the dealer with the stripe intact. I can only figure it was damaged in delivery from Olathe to Hutchison a 3.5 hour drive. 

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Engine Co. 4
Quote:The stripe has since been replaced. It was delivered to the dealer with the stripe intact. I can only figure it was damaged in delivery from Olathe to Hutchison a 3.5 hour drive. 

I went back to my photo and you can see not only the removed stripe, but also a decent dent on the driver side right below the headlights. It also appears there might have been some bondo on the truck when I took the photo last November. I am planning to get back over there sometime soon to shot their new Engine. I am also possibly going to shoot Atchison's new Rosenbauer Ladder on Saturday.
Andy Thomas
Wichita Fire Dept. Photographer

Webmaster for:
KansasFireTrucks.com
Atchison, Kansas

Atchison Fire Department Truck 1

2014 Rosenbauer Commander 101'

1500/300

Serial #: 73892

[Image: 19216657913_3e6319431c_c.jpg]

Andy Thomas

Webmaster for:
KansasFireTrucks.com
Wichita, Kansas

Wichita Fire Department Ladder 1

2015 Pierce Dash CF 75'

1500/500

Serial #: 28421-01

[Image: 25609831520_b0025911da_c.jpg]

Ladder 1 is stationed at Station 17 and went into service March 4th, 2016. Truck 1 was in service in February at Station 1. Ladder 2 is stationed at Station 14 and went into service the week of March 14th 2016. The ladders have one preconnect above the pump panel, and one in the front bumper. I am fairly certain they also have a 2-1/2" in the bumper as well. These sway much more on the Truck/Ladder side of a Quint than the Engine side. Wichita is currently operating the "Ladders" as Engine Companies. You do not need to have gone through Truck Company training in order to staff a "Ladder". I'm sure someone will want to know what took so long to get these into service. From what I gathered is that there was a slight accident before they were delivered to Wichita which caused a delay. Once in Wichita, WFD decided to outfit all three rigs with brand new equipment. In the mean time while the equipment was being purchased some equipment money dried up, which delayed putting these on track. Why they didnt just use what was on the old trucks to get by until the new stuff arrived is anyone's guess.

Andy Thomas

Webmaster for:
KansasFireTrucks.com
If I understand correctly, these will operate as engines but with the "enhancement" of an eleveated waterway and ladder if needed?

Quote:If I understand correctly, these will operate as engines but with the "enhancement" of an eleveated waterway and ladder if needed?

Bingo. However these Ladders are more of a Truck than an Engine. They have I believe 2 extra extension ladders, 2 extra pike polls, and 0ft of 3" hose. The 5" LDH loads in the rear but makes a 45deg jog up then lays above the rear compartments. The firefighters were talking about how it "worked" on some training evolution's, but it may flake out incorrectly and jam a coupling due to the odd angle. I guess what I am trying to say is that it seems that by not specifically numbering the Ladders to a station, and the fact that they are spec'd more on the truck side of things; I think the short term plan is to have them act like a Engine, then in a year or two move them to a different station to actually do Ladder/Truck work. For those familiar with Wichita there is only 1 true Engine West of the the Big Ditch. (Engine 16). There are 3 aerial devices (Quint 21, Truck 4, and Ladder 1). It just doesn't make a lot of sense. I have lived out west for 5 years and have yet to see Quint 21 with its ladder raised on a fire.
Andy Thomas

Webmaster for:
KansasFireTrucks.com
[Image: 26472175652_11a5939d7e_c.jpg]

El Dorado Fire Department Tower 1

2016 Pierce Velocity 100'

2000/300

Serial # 29143

Andy Thomas

Webmaster for:
KansasFireTrucks.com
[Image: 26485216514_1abb7859d3_c.jpg]

Kansas City Kansas Fire Department

Pumper 11

2015 Pierce Dash CF

1500/750

Serial # 28568-02

Andy Thomas

Webmaster for:
KansasFireTrucks.com
Any idea if Wichita FD keeps run statistics?  I am curious on the statistics for Station 2....

Just an FYI, since my last login we have re-done our website www.kansasfiretrucks.com, A lot of great appartaus photographers are helping us develop a large library of Apparatus that will last a long time. If you would like to contribute please feel free to get a hold of me.
Thanks
Andy Thomas
Andy Thomas

Webmaster for:
KansasFireTrucks.com
Wichita KS Fire Department
2018 Pierce Velocity
2000/600
31650-02
[Image: 41560709854_041a6176b6_c.jpg]
Andy Thomas

Webmaster for:
KansasFireTrucks.com
Did Wichita purchase a second mobile air unit? If so, why would they purchase a second mobile air when they are not running with an actual hazmat truck and barely have a hazmat team in the first place? The firefighters retrofitted an old engine for a HazMat truck and, put what useable equipment they have on it. It would have made more sense to purchase a purpose-built hazmat unit than a second mobile air.
(08-01-2018, 07:55 PM)southwheatland514 Wrote: Did Wichita purchase a second mobile air unit?  If so, why would they purchase a second mobile air when they are not running with an actual hazmat truck and barely have a hazmat team in the first place?  The firefighters retrofitted an old engine for a HazMat truck and, put what useable equipment they have on it.  It would have made more sense to purchase a purpose-built hazmat unit than a second mobile air.

Wichita, KS 

Did purchase a new Mobile Air. This is a replacement for the 1994 Freightliner/ SVI that has been serving as the reserve. They always have maintained two Mobile Air units at Fire Station 1. The first or front line Moblie Air is staffed with a firefighter/ asst. fire investigator every shift. The second is the reserve. 

They have placed an order with Pierce for two Velocity two door walk in rescues. They will have seating the box for firemen. Rescue 1 will replace the current Rescue 4 at Fire Station 4. Rescue 2 will be placed in service at Fire House 10 and replace old 2006 Pierce Dash Engine 10 (reserve engine) that has been subbing the last 3-5 years as Haz-Mat 10. Rescue 2 will serve primarily as the Haz-Mat. However it will carry a small amount of ladders so it can work as a truck at fires if need. It will also carry hydraulic tools to handle pins. It will also have some additional rescue equipment, it is still evolving. Squad 10 will be disbanded when Rescue 2 enters service.

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Engine Co. 4