Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Los Angeles Fire Dept
The Los Angeles Fire Dept has announced a SAFER Grant award of $4,620,082, this money will be used to hire additional personnel to restore Fire Station 38 to a Task Force house. The LAFD looks to restore Light Force 38 Mid 2019.
Command 22.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The Los Angeles Fire Dept has been approved to purchase a 5th Augusta AW 139 helicopter, The LAFD is expected to take delivery sometime this spring.
(07-16-2018, 11:31 AM)SrFireOfficial Wrote:
(07-14-2018, 08:25 PM)Engine5161 Wrote:
(07-14-2018, 08:47 AM)SOlsonBFDL14 Wrote:
(07-13-2018, 12:13 AM)Engine5161 Wrote:
(07-12-2018, 10:37 PM)SOlsonBFDL14 Wrote: Just out of curiosity, what is something like this used for, how often would it be used & would it really be used enough to justify having multiple ones in service? With close to 4 MILLION people living in Los Angeles alone, this Heavy Rescue rolls code-3 MANY times a day on every physical rescue in the entire City of Los Angeles. Staffed 24/7 by an engineer and a firefighter.

I realize both the size & population of Los Angeles. I also know that the population of New York is more than double that (8.5m to 3.9m) and they don't have a single one in service. Chicago is close in size (2.7m) and they have nothing like this in service. What makes LA unique and what is it actually used for?

In terms of square miles, Los Angeles has New York City and Chicago both beat. Los Angeles is 503 square miles. The only front line Heavy  Rescue manned 24/7 by LAFD. Responds on virtually every report/actual physical rescue i.e. vehicle crash, train crash, plane crash, cave-ins, bldg. collapse, etc. VERY BUSY rig. As well as emergency tire changes for apparatus. LAFD has ran Heavy Rescues since the 1950's. The City of Los Angeles is very fortunate to have a rig as such. L.A. County Fire runs a very similar rig for the same role/purpose. The County just bought a new replacement for the current HR-103, but is not in service yet.
In addition to LAFD, City of Miami, Washington DC also have similar sized "cranes" available for heavy rescue capability although I can not speak to their deployment or staffing models.  If I remember correctly, FDNY shops also received a similar sized "crane" for towing apparatus as well as rescue capabilities.

DC's heavy rescue/crane/rotator was taken out of the Special Operations Division and given to the Apparatus Division when former Chief Ellerbe screwed the department over. I'm told it's in bad shape from sitting outside and not being taken care of and only a few members know how to operate it.
Chad

Deputy Fire Chief
Clinton Volunteer Fire Department
www.clintonvfd.org

Washington DC Fire Department
FireFighter Truck Co. 15
(03-23-2019, 02:34 PM)Chasselber1 Wrote:
(07-16-2018, 11:31 AM)SrFireOfficial Wrote:
(07-14-2018, 08:25 PM)Engine5161 Wrote:
(07-14-2018, 08:47 AM)SOlsonBFDL14 Wrote: I realize both the size & population of Los Angeles. I also know that the population of New York is more than double that (8.5m to 3.9m) and they don't have a single one in service. Chicago is close in size (2.7m) and they have nothing like this in service. What makes LA unique and what is it actually used for?

In terms of square miles, Los Angeles has New York City and Chicago both beat. Los Angeles is 503 square miles. The only front line Heavy  Rescue manned 24/7 by LAFD. Responds on virtually every report/actual physical rescue i.e. vehicle crash, train crash, plane crash, cave-ins, bldg. collapse, etc. VERY BUSY rig. As well as emergency tire changes for apparatus. LAFD has ran Heavy Rescues since the 1950's. The City of Los Angeles is very fortunate to have a rig as such. L.A. County Fire runs a very similar rig for the same role/purpose. The County just bought a new replacement for the current HR-103, but is not in service yet.
In addition to LAFD, City of Miami, Washington DC also have similar sized "cranes" available for heavy rescue capability although I can not speak to their deployment or staffing models.  If I remember correctly, FDNY shops also received a similar sized "crane" for towing apparatus as well as rescue capabilities.

DC's heavy rescue/crane/rotator was taken out of the Special Operations Division and given to the Apparatus Division when former Chief Ellerbe screwed the department over. I'm told it's in bad shape from sitting outside and not being taken care of and only a few members know how to operate it.

In the greater Chicagoland area the IL Dept. of Transportation (IDoT) runs tow trucks (including heavy duty ones) 24/7 on the "expressways" (freeways) in the area complete with red warning lights that perform the same type of duties.  Out here in the boonies they call on local tow services with heavy duty tow trucks when needed for rescues / recoveries.
Battalion 1.

LAFD Engine 209 one of the new Pierce engine's hitting the streets.

AP 82

Engine 42 running in Ex Engine 95.

Battalion 5.

For the upcoming fiscal year the Los Angeles Fire Dept is seeking $24,793,175 in MICLA funds to purchase 9 Triple's one of which will be the departments first all electric fire engine, 5 Ladder trucks, 4 Brush Patrols, 15 Ambulances, 1 New crew buggy and an assortment of other support vehicles.
(01-16-2020, 04:09 AM)Monrovia1 Wrote: For the upcoming fiscal year the Los Angeles Fire Dept is seeking $24,793,175 in MICLA funds to purchase 9 Triple's one of which will be the departments first all electric fire engine, 5 Ladder trucks, 4 Brush Patrols, 15 Ambulances, 1 New crew buggy and an assortment of other support vehicles.

Electric engines??? Is LAFD thinking of going with that Rosenbauer concept engine??
dodger2004 Wrote:
Monrovia1 Wrote:For the upcoming fiscal year the Los Angeles Fire Dept is seeking $24,793,175 in MICLA funds to purchase 9 Triple's one of which will be the departments first all electric fire engine, 5 Ladder trucks, 4 Brush Patrols, 15 Ambulances, 1 New crew buggy and an assortment of other support vehicles.

Electric engines??? Is LAFD thinking of going with that Rosenbauer concept engine??

Time will tell but LAFD officially announced today that they have placed an order for 1 electric fire engine which when it arrives will be assigned to Fire Station 82.
(02-10-2020, 11:44 PM)Monrovia1 Wrote:
dodger2004 Wrote:
Monrovia1 Wrote:For the upcoming fiscal year the Los Angeles Fire Dept is seeking $24,793,175 in MICLA funds to purchase 9 Triple's one of which will be the departments first all electric fire engine, 5 Ladder trucks, 4 Brush Patrols, 15 Ambulances, 1 New crew buggy and an assortment of other support vehicles.

Time will tell but LAFD officially announced today that they have placed an order for 1 electric fire engine which when it arrives will be assigned to Fire Station 82.
I'm sure they can hardly wait to get that thing! lol

Terry
Terry K.Dawson

dawsonfire@hotmail.com

dawson_fire@yahoo.com

Taneytown,Maryland 21787
Engine 26.

For the upcoming fiscal year the Los Angeles Fire Dept is requesting a budget of $860 million, A few highlights include $1.6 Million to haul out and perform maintenance on fireboats 1,3 & 4, $27 Million in MICLA funding to replace 2 ladder trucks, 4 engine companies, 30 ambulances, 1 BC command vehicle, 1 Arson UNIT, 1 Command post unit, 1 crew bus1 helicopter, 1 USAR and some other various support units
Engine 474.

The new All electric Rosenbauer Fire engine being used by LAFD Engine 82.

[-] The following 2 users Like Monrovia1's post:
  • dodger2004, wpgfirebuff411

Light Force 27.
[-] The following 2 users Like Monrovia1's post:
  • dodger2004, firechief14
Light Force 98.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Monrovia1's post:
  • firechief14