Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Last one of Engine 127...

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
[quote name='mnsand' post='160404' date='Nov 2 2007, 21:21 ']On the first page of this Virginia thread, I posted the apparatus from Raphine, Virginia. I had the opportunity to drop by the FD on the way home from a business trip today to photograph a very interesting Sutphen engine.

This one is brand new - placed into service two weeks ago and is painted in the FD's new colors of black over red. What I found interesting is the configuration of the top mount pump panel - I have not seen this before. This was designed because this Sutphen will run numerous calls on nearby Interstate 81.

Raphine, VA

Engine 127

2007 Sutphen Monarch

1500/1000/25

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

My apologies....I forgot to include the Sutphen serial number and several have asked:

HS-4209

Mike Sanders

Asbhurn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
As always, great photos, Mike. Ron Garber sent me some pix of this rig when he delivered it, but it's nice to get a full 360-degree view of it.

You're correct in not seeing the Sutphen Top/Side Mount before, this is the first of it's kind in the Commonwealth. Sutphen has built a handful of these in the past for different departments throughout the country. I remember that Fire Apparatus magazine did an article about 18 months ago about a department that purchased one, and the reasons that led them to look at this non-mainstream design.

Look forward to your next outing!
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Mike is that the winch mounted on the tailboard under the black cover or is it just sitting there?
[quote name='ur second in' post='160613' date='Nov 3 2007, 15:22 ']Mike is that the winch mounted on the tailboard under the black cover or is it just sitting there?[/quote]

It is mounted on the back tailboard.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I was back in Southwest Virginia this past week. I sure would love to spend several months exploring the variety of fire departments that we do not hear about to much in Southwest Virginia. Some real interesting apparatus behind those bay doors.

I was heading to Bristol, Virginia and stopped off at Wytheville, which is at the intersections of Interstate's I81 and I77. Went to get gas and made the opportunity to find the fire station. I was somewhat surprised to find that Wytheville has career staff in addition to the volunteers. The career staff at Wytheville was very accomodating for photographs.

All of the Wytheville units have the radio designation of "Truck", which I have seen at other FD's in Southwest, Virginia.

First up is Truck 6, a 1978 American LaFrance 1500/1000 with s/n CE-14-6207. I like the twin beacon warning lights on top....reminds me of the Richmond, Virginia ALF's of that same era.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Truck 8 at Wytheville is another ALF and I was told it was one of the later units to be produced at American LaFrance's old Bluefield plant, not to far from Wytheville. Truck 8 serves dual roles - engine and ladder for the FD.

Wytheville, VA

Wythe County

Truck 8

1991 ALF Century

1500/500

75'TS

serial # - 2101 (does that sound right for a ALF serial number?)

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
While Truck 8 was moving away, I grabbed a quick shot of the back end.....interesting way to get to the base of the 75' ladder. Not a great picture....sorry.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Last apparatus photo from Wytheville is the departments newest truck. Elite is not very common in Virginia.

Wytheville, VA

Truck 11

2004 Peterbilt PB330/Elite

1500/1250/40

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Like many older cities and towns in Virginia, the Wytheville fire department is located on a main street with very little apron room for photos. The station is a combination fire and police station. The trucks were moved to a parking lot next door to the rear of the station.

Here is the front.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The rear of the Wytheville station.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
From Wytheville I headed south on I81 towards Bristol, Virginia for a business meeting. I was hoping to find the Bristol, Virginia FD and nearby Bristol, Tennessee station since the state line runs right through the city. Unfortunately, those FD's will have to wait for a future visit.

I came across an unexpected surprise....located just outside the city limits of Bristol, Virginia, is the Washington County Volunteer FD. Again, I was fortunate to find someone at the station who took the time to move all of the apparatus out for photographs. I have photographed quite a bit of Virginia fire apparatus, but very few trucks built by Central States - until now.

Washington County, VA VFD - Bristol, VA

Engine 101

1992 Ford Cargo 8000/Central States

1250/1000

s/n 61343

This FD prefers the top mount pump panel since they cover a section of I81.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Another Central States is Engine 102 from Washington County.

Engine 102

2000 HME/Central States

1250/1000

s/n 79752

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Through grant money Washington County VFD was able to upgrade their tanker.

Tanker 105

2006 Freightliner F112/Central States

2000/3000

s/n 92998

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Washington County's Rescue 106 was just placed out of service. I was at the station on Monday and a new 2007 Freightliner/Hackney squad was to be delivered on Wednesday.

They are selling this truck - $70,000

Washington County, VA

ex- Rescue 106

1999 Ford F550/Central States

150/200

could find no serial number

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The department found a used Ford pick up in Northern Virginia, purchased it, and converted it to a brush truck. Prior to the fire department painting it to their colors, it was brown.

Brush 104

1988 Ford F/1996 FD

120 gallons

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The Washington County emblem found on a variety of their apparatus.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
And the final from Washington County VFD - station.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA