Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boston Fire Department

Ya know, if you had not mentioned it, I would not have noticed
Any word on the new E\-One ladder trucks?
They are not here yet... and there are quite a few spares in service...... for a while now
Testing out a new scanner........please bear with me, the quality may not be that good.

Boston FD

Rescue 2

1972 International/Gerstenslager

Gene Anderson photo/Kemp Collection

Nice pic! That's from when they were running out of E52/L29's house on Blue Hill Avenue. The bounced around a bit between there, E24/L23's house in Grove Hall and their current home, with E42 & Car 9 in Egleston Square in Roxbury.
FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
FR David A. Middleton E51, LODD, Box 5247, 05/28/07
FR Paul J. Cahill E30 & FR Warren J. Payne L25, LODD, Box 4-281, 08/29/07
FLT Kevin Kelley L26, LODD, 01/09/09
FLT Edward J. Walsh E33 & FR Michael Kennedy L15, LODD, Box 9-1579, 03/26/14.
BFD Rescue 2

1987 Ford C8000/E-One

Shaun Ryan Photo/Kemp Collection

[quote name='atlanticfiretrucks.com' post='168473' date='Dec 2 2007, 22:41 ']BFD Rescue 2

1987 Ford C8000/E-One

Shaun Ryan Photo/Kemp Collection

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=28073][/quote]

An there they are in their current home, occupying Ladder 30's old bay. That rig was behind Car 11 up at E29/L11/D11's quarters in Brighton last time I was up there. Rescue 1's old E\-One is sitting in our 3rd bay now.
FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
Sean,

Rescue 1's old E One, is it still the Dive Truck?

[quote name='yelrowekim' post='168709' date='Dec 3 2007, 23:17 ']Sean,

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=28108][/quote]

I filled up at 41/14 last night. The 1993 (95?) E\-One is in the third bay. As far as I know, the 86 is still the Dive Truck, which makes sense, as it has a cascade system on board.
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Car 1 in Everett

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
I like the graphics on the District Commander's rig.
[quote name='yelrowekim' post='168709' date='Dec 3 2007, 23:17 ']Sean,

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=28108][/quote]

Yes, the former, former Rescue 1 is still designated as J-20 and used as the Dive Team's rig. It is kept at the quarters of E10/TL3/R1/C6 downtown.
FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
[quote name='Skip Olson BFD L14' post='168991' date='Dec 5 2007, 10:17 ']Yes, the former, former Rescue 1 is still designated as J-20 and used as the Dive Team's rig. It is kept at the quarters of E10/TL3/R1/C6 downtown.[/quote]

JUST A QUICK QUESTION, I WENT BACK QUITE A FEW PAGES & FOUND A FORD C LABLED RESCUE 1 DID THIS BECOME RESCUE 2 OR DID THEY HAVE 2. ALSO I READ SOMEONE STATING SOMETHING ABOUT NEW E ONES,ARE THEY GOING BACK TO E ONE FROM Pierce??
tom bretz a ffII,retired disabled ff/emt from Kingston PA F D,own 2 wardlafranceengs a 49,a66,member of iaff 840,six cnty fire asso,pa state firemen's assoc, pa pump primers,schuylkill historic fire soc(spaamfaa's newest chapter--black diamond),luzerne cnty fire/rescue,life mem of columbian fire co kingston,former app op at laflin,edwrdsvlle,forty fort all in pa
[quote name='wardengine' post='169072' date='Dec 5 2007, 16:14 ']JUST A QUICK QUESTION, I WENT BACK QUITE A FEW PAGES & FOUND A FORD C LABLED RESCUE 1 DID THIS BECOME RESCUE 2 OR DID THEY HAVE 2. ALSO I READ SOMEONE STATING SOMETHING ABOUT NEW E ONES,ARE THEY GOING BACK TO E ONE FROM Pierce??[/quote]

There were 2 Ford C's, a 1986, former Rescue 1 and a 1987, Former Rescue 2, which is still a spare rescue, and currently kept at E29/L11/D11 on Chestnut Hill Av..........funny, District 11 is the farthest run for Rescue 1 in Division 1, and even further for rescue 2, but both spares are in the district. (Of course, everyone knows Ladder 14 is the REAL Rescue company in the city)

Boston has 2 E\-One ladders on order, and have reportedly received a grant for 2 TDA's, which Seagrave is rumored to be the forerunner for. The Pierce's have not been well received, and I'd be willing to bet you won't see Pierce in Boston for a long time.
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
[quote name='edburke' post='169074' date='Dec 5 2007, 16:19 ']There were 2 Ford C's, a 1986, former Rescue 1 and a 1987, Former Rescue 2, which is still a spare rescue, and currently kept at E29/L11/D11 on Chestnut Hill Av..........funny, District 11 is the farthest run for Rescue 1 in Division 1, and even further for rescue 2, but both spares are in the district. (Of course, everyone knows Ladder 14 is the REAL Rescue company in the city)

Boston has 2 E\-One ladders on order, and have reportedly received a grant for 2 TDA's, which Seagrave is rumored to be the forerunner for. The Pierce's have not been well received, and I'd be willing to bet you won't see Pierce in Boston for a long time.[/quote]

thank you for the info ed!!!!
tom bretz a ffII,retired disabled ff/emt from Kingston PA F D,own 2 wardlafranceengs a 49,a66,member of iaff 840,six cnty fire asso,pa state firemen's assoc, pa pump primers,schuylkill historic fire soc(spaamfaa's newest chapter--black diamond),luzerne cnty fire/rescue,life mem of columbian fire co kingston,former app op at laflin,edwrdsvlle,forty fort all in pa
[quote name='edburke' post='24392' date='Aug 19 2006, 18:10 ']Well, as a person that works for the City of Boston, alongside the Boston firefighters, I have heard their complaints. Boston is famous for their ladder work, and it's not uncommon to have three guys working at the tip of the stick. With the current Pierces, you can see a significant bow with just one guy at the tip, and the height of the siderails raises safety concerns when compared to the E-Ones-another issue that heavy duty aerials would address. As far as the tillers go, one has to look no further than 1 city north, to Somerville to see that a heavy duty aerial on a TDA doesn't have to be huge. I've seen Maxim TDA's, Seagrave TDA's with 4 door cabs, E-Ones with canopy cabs and 4 door cabs, and the Pierces in my 25 years of fire scene photography, and in my opinion, the 1976 Seagrave TDAs were the best aerial that the city had.[/quote]

Ed,

-With the clear exception of the undpowered engines on the tractors.

You are also correct about E\-One making their name in Chi-town. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the initial Boston delivery of E\-One commercial cab engines were Chicago spec's....

The rail height of the Pierce aerials reminds me of the rail height of the last section of the Pirsch aerials which served in Metro-Boston.

In my humble estimation, the E\-One scissor jack system, with its ability to fit in the smallest of available spaces is a huge advantage. I also believe that E\-One aerials are faster to throw from arrival on scene, to interlock, to aerial out of the bed in terms of time to put in service on the fireground. I defer to all opinions, but like Ed have witnessed the operation of the new aerials, and have operated mid-mount, rear-mount, and tractor drawn aerial apparatus as well from four different manufacturers during my 11 years on the job, and in our particular neck of the woods, and for our fireload/fire duty E\-One aerials work well. Thanks.
[quote name='getabovethefire' post='169268' date='Dec 6 2007, 12:21 ']Ed,

-With the clear exception of the undpowered engines on the tractors.

You are also correct about E\-One making their name in Chi-town. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the initial Boston delivery of E\-One commercial cab engines were Chicago spec's....

The rail height of the Pierce aerials reminds me of the rail height of the last section of the Pirsch aerials which served in Metro-Boston.

In my humble estimation, the E\-One scissor jack system, with its ability to fit in the smallest of available spaces is a huge advantage. I also believe that E\-One aerials are faster to throw from arrival on scene, to interlock, to aerial out of the bed in terms of time to put in service on the fireground. I defer to all opinions, but like Ed have witnessed the operation of the new aerials, and have operated mid-mount, rear-mount, and tractor drawn aerial apparatus as well from four different manufacturers during my 11 years on the job, and in our particular neck of the woods, and for our fireload/fire duty E\-One aerials work well. Thanks.[/quote]

I have heard that the (2) TDA's being funded by the FED's is a dead issue. Any one confirm this ?

242 K
J Daly

Photographer

Saugus FAO#3

CityWide Car142

June 24tth "Old School Scans" inside of On The Job - Salem- Lynn-Boston-airplane-helo's

Web Site

[url="http://dalyimages.smugmug.com/"]http://dalyimages.smugmug.com/[/url]
[quote name='Daly242' post='169270' date='Dec 6 2007, 12:37 ']I have heard that the (2) TDA's being funded by the FED's is a dead issue. Any one confirm this ?

242 K[/quote]

I have heard the same thing. The story I got (from an officer at one of the affected houses) was that while the grant money did come through (Aid For Firefighters Grant), the amount of money received was far too little to make the purchase.
FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
Tower Unit

1993 E\-One

1250/300/95'

Unknown Photographer/Kemp Collection

(the slide wasn't tagged)