Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ward LaFrance Ultravision
Here is the Clayton/Delaware WLF, as photographed in 2004.

Juergen Kiefer photo

Attached Files Image(s)

Engine 25-2 from the Jessup Hose Co in Jessup, Lackawanna County/PA operated this 1974 WLF with 1000 gpm-pump and 750 gwt. WLF # 80-871

Shan P. Ryan photo

[quote name='kieferfire' post='167891' date='Dec 1 2007, 06:00 ']Engine 25-2 from the Jessup Hose Co in Jessup, Lackawanna County/PA operated this 1974 WLF with 1000 gpm-pump and 750 gwt. WLF # 80-871

Shan P. Ryan photo

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=27911][/quote]

this engine is now currently owned by some members of jessup hose co#1
[quote name='Bklyn Phil' post='161947' date='Nov 9 2007, 08:00 ']That flat aluminum strip across the top of the windshield appears out of place. I'm glad they went over to a more finished looking round front on the roof line in later production.

Phil, Bklyn[/quote]

I appears that this vehicle was a Open Cab and the "roof" was added later,looking at the Bucket windows.
Quote:I appears that this vehicle was a Open Cab and the "roof" was added later,looking at the Bucket windows.

That's a hard call to make. At that time in WLF's production, the design was based on an open cab style. On both Mark I and Firebrand/Fireball cab-forwards, the roof was an add-on, either from the factory or afterwards. The bucket windows on all canopy-cab Mark I's used this same style until 1965.

In 1965, the Newtown Fire Association (PA) bought a P85 rescue. They didn't like the look of the filler strip above the windshield and had WLF redesign their rig so that the roof sheet metal curved down to meet the glass, a design that would soon become standard on all WLF cab-forwards.
[quote name='kieferfire' post='167891' date='Dec 1 2007, 06:00 ']Engine 25-2 from the Jessup Hose Co in Jessup, Lackawanna County/PA operated this 1974 WLF with 1000 gpm-pump and 750 gwt. WLF # 80-871

Shan P. Ryan photo

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=27911][/quote]

it is parked under the picnic pavilion at their firehouse . saw it there last week end
tom bretz a ffII,retired disabled ff/emt from Kingston PA F D,own 2 wardlafranceengs a 49,a66,member of iaff 840,six cnty fire asso,pa state firemen's assoc, pa pump primers,schuylkill historic fire soc(spaamfaa's newest chapter--black diamond),luzerne cnty fire/rescue,life mem of columbian fire co kingston,former app op at laflin,edwrdsvlle,forty fort all in pa
[quote name='usonian' post='157942' date='Oct 23 2007, 11:12 ']I recently came across this one listed for sale. Does anyone know who owns/owned it and who may have done the rather spiffy-looking refurb?[/quote]

After some sleuthing, I've been able to answer my own question. It's from the Beemerville Fire Department in Wantage, New Jersey. If anyone has any pix, especially before & after, I'd be interested in seeing them.
Heres a few from home town area Akron, Ohio

Akron ran quite a few WLF when I was growing up.

Credit to the original photographer! I believe he is a member here!

Engine 1 (downtown station now closed!)

Down the road in Canton, Ohio

Canton Engine encased in ice!!

[quote name='cjsully' post='8576' date='Jul 13 2006, 13:36 ']1973 Ward La France Ambassador

1000 Hale/750

Continental rebuild

Concord, New Hampshire 11/93

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=1766][/quote]

This truck is for sale on ebay right now

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-WARD-LaFRANCE-FIRE-TRUCK-Concord-NH-GMC-671_W0QQitemZ320190128738QQihZ011QQcategoryZ63735QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-WARD-L...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

j
You encase any of these new custom builts in ice like that, and it will be in the shop till spring.
For Brooklyn Phil -

Although the ex-Syracuse Ward certainly has front wheel wells with the RD Murray "look", they are in fact the original Ward LaFrance configuration. WLF used the squared-off wheel wells on some of the few 4WD Ambassador chassis made, and most of its Statesman crash trucks (Syracuse had a couple of those as well). Here's a shot of one of our two WLF Ambassadors when we still had it...and a shot of one of our old WLF Statesman crash trucks, showing the same basic front fender style.

[Image: SFDWard.jpg]

[Image: WLF-1.png]
Here is Van Buren Twp IN's WLF/Summit now in service at Gosport IN as their 1st out engine.

Attached Files Image(s)

Here's one from my collection. I dont know who took the shot, but its a beauty! credit to them.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[quote name='FDNYTRUCKS.com' post='173123' date='Dec 22 2007, 20:52 ']Here's one from my collection. I dont know who took the shot, but its a beauty! credit to them.[/quote]

This rig was delivered to Newark in RED paint & with an open cab. in the 1970's Lime-itis got the best of her... I donot think NFD had 2 of these...

Here's one from my collection -dont know who took it

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote name='Box2565' post='94366' date='Apr 4 2007, 07:46 ']I was in Terre Haute on October 6, 1989 and the WLF aerial was in front line service at the firehouse on the east side of Downtown. The ladder was the only company operating out of the station at the time and even though a picture would have been fairly easy I wasn't able to persuade anyone to get behind the wheel. I'm not sure how long THFD had owned the ladder at that point. The 1959 Maxim was at Station 9 where it was being kept as a spare. Much friendlier crew there so at least I have a picture of the Maxim in the bad paint job.[/quote]

Is this it? shot January 2002 at TNT truck leasing Terre Haute,IN

Attached Files Image(s)

[Image: TerreHauteLadder51.jpg]

Here's the other shot I have of it.
Quote:QUOTE (FDNYTRUCKS.com @ Dec 22 2007, 20:52 ) *

Here's one from my collection. I dont know who took the shot, but its a beauty! credit to them.

This rig was delivered to Newark in RED paint & with an open cab. in the 1970's Lime-itis got the best of her... I donot think NFD had 2 of these...

Been looking into this since it was posted. According to all info I have been able to dig up, Newark only had one WLF Hi-Ranger, but it was rebuilt at some point in time, probably in the early 1970's. Spec Number 80-86 was a 1965 with an 85' platform.
Cumberland Head sold this engine to Westmore,VT right around 2000. They ran it for several years & retired it in 2005. I have no further information about it's status.[quote name='MikeMFD26' post='87511' date='Mar 16 2007, 20:02 ']Cumberland Head Fire District, town of Plattsburgh, NY once ran this 1971 WLF 1250/1000 as E-181.

This photo was taken in 1991 at the end of it's service with CHFD. I was told it was sold to a Fire

Department in Vermont. Unknown if this piece was bought new or used by CHFD. Any one know for sure?

Photo by : Mike Allen[/quote]
Randy Dame

Former FF/EMT
I'm just wondering if anyone has a picture of a WLF "Courier" or a Brush Truck mounted on an Ultravision chassis?