Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1982 and 1983 alf tillers from Balitmore County
The first one is old Truck 1, its a 1982 alf tiller.
Heres the photo

Attached Files Image(s)

The 1983 alf tiller from Balitmore County is owned by:Joel Bain

Attached Files Image(s)

I rode on both of those rigs so I will try and give a little history lesson. Truck 1 was delivered yellow and white and over time the compartments began to rot. At the time Baltimore County had major money issues of the time as did most departments. So the members of Station 1 along with the shop refurbded the truck and repainted it. It ran for several more years before becoming a reserve When Baltimore purchased Seagrave tillers.

The other truck was originally Truck 15 around 1992 is was in accident with Engine 15 while responding to a box alarm. There was a good bit of damage to the trailer and tiller cab. Again Baltimore County's shop fixed it. At that time it was assigned to Truck 57. Somewhere along the line the aerial failed the ladder test and the county was getting ready to dispose of the 72 La France rear mount that was assigned to Truck 13. So that aerial was placed on the tiller. Thats why the aerial doesn't go all the way to the tiller cab like on other trucks.

Intresting note Truck 13 was originally an Aero-Chief, and when Baltimore City had a the issues with theirs Baltimore County chose to remove it and place a ladder instead. Hope this helps
How come they're both "94"? Was that a spare rig designation?
The only MARC in 46 ENGINE!

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01 F.D.N.Y. 343

RIP FF John Bellew 27 Truck F.D.N.Y. 1-23-05

RIP Captain Frank Keane 46 Engine F.D.N.Y 12-11-06
[quote name='Crossbronxxpress' post='188867' date='Feb 13 2008, 13:56 ']How come they're both "94"? Was that a spare rig designation?[/quote]

Yes, that was the 'reserve' number

Were they as big a pigs as Truck 5?
Tuck 94 the red and white one was 1st. Old 15 was 92 for some reason who knows why when truck 94 xT1 was auctioned off they renumbered old 15 94. Tillering them was horrible too . We had 94(yellow and white) at 13 for while i needed new kidneys after a few runs. They werent the fastes trucks at all. I think they got to 60 mph and that was it. I rode old Truck 5 a few times and they were all the same a big yellow and white pig. Setting the trucks up was fun you needed 7 feet fore both sides for the outriggers, plus you had to jack them slightly because the levers to work the outriggers was right at the turn table and if it was inline it made it hard to put them out. Also, the pto switch from outriggers to ladder power there was a switch under the turntable too.
[quote name='gravenut74' post='188881' date='Feb 13 2008, 15:08 ']Tuck 94 the red and white one was 1st. Old 15 was 92 for some reason who knows why when truck 94 xT1 was auctioned off they renumbered old 15 94. Tillering them was horrible too . We had 94(yellow and white) at 13 for while i needed new kidneys after a few runs. They werent the fastes trucks at all. I think they got to 60 mph and that was it. I rode old Truck 5 a few times and they were all the same a big yellow and white pig. Setting the trucks up was fun you needed 7 feet fore both sides for the outriggers, plus you had to jack them slightly because the levers to work the outriggers was right at the turn table and if it was inline it made it hard to put them out. Also, the pto switch from outriggers to ladder power there was a switch under the turntable too.[/quote]

Truck 5 used to come 'round the corner at East and Linden so hard that the outside tiller tires were flat and by the time it got to Leeds Ave. it had for all intents and purposes, died. This ought to make a good parade truck though.
those trucks were wierd they had air assisted tiller steering. plus they barely turned that far as well. old truck 5 when it failed the ladder test it didnt last it was gone
The trucks are old Truck 15 (yellow) and the red one is Truck 1 old piece.
The yellow tiller has a bad seat if you were to sit back there and tiller you would need a new head.
The 1983 Alf tiller in front of my house, thats what it looks like today.

Attached Files Image(s)

The 1982 Alf tiller in front of my house, Also the only thing wrong on this piece is that the hydraulics on the ladder and the outrigers are missing.

Attached Files Image(s)

if you check closely some of the hydraulics on the yellow 94 are off the red 94 same goes for the outriggers. we were using parts off the red 94 to keep the yellow 94 running as a spare. what are the plans for those 2 trucks. i know guys from both of those stations who would like to know whats going on with them
I'm planing to restore both. But the red one is going to be hard because the hydraulics are off, and the yellow one I would only have to do some body work to it and then paint it white over red because the rest of my rigs are white over red. Also what ever happened to the big generator on the rigs ? ,and the other things what happened to the hand rails and the yellow piece 94. Also my dad wants to know what ever happened to the old hydraulics off the yellow 94?

Joel Daniel Bain
ha! the handrails and jump seats are at station 15 throughout the station being used as door handles and such. the generators were 12kw and funny i was just at our shop last week and saw a old one there that must be where it came from. dont knoe why they took them out they wont fit in anything we have now. the hydraulics on red 94 are on yellow 94 red 94 was being used to keep yellow 94 up and running. if you notice the one cylinder on the ladder is red on yellow 94. so most of the hydraulics is there. if you want i can get you the number of our shop and you can get more info on those rigs
Can you please get the shop number my dad is looking for the old generators to put back on the trucks and any thing else that went on the trucks too. Joel daniel bain