Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tour of New Jersey
[quote name='jakeman51' post='193998' date='Mar 4 2008, 09:48 ']It amazes me to see pics of parades with people all over the apparatus, when we the fire fighters can't ride the rear step anymore evening when responding to a fire. In my neck of the woods, parades require all personel to be in approved rideing posistions and belted. It scares me to see these pics with family, friends, and kids hanging on whereever they can in a parade. Just my thoughts, Gordon[/quote]

I thought the same thing when I was taking them. I didn't include the one of the guy standing on top of the cab taking pictures while the truck rolled down the street. I wonder if the departments or the parade orangizers realize the liability their taking on. Looks like something you would see on "The Secret List".
Brian, thanks for the great photos of the apparatus of the north Jersey shore. FLJack.
Reading FAJ, says Newark leased 3-ALF apparatus w/ option to buy. I guess this is in addition to the rigs on order ? Anyone with pix yet ?
[quote name='R1SmokeEater' post='195302' date='Mar 8 2008, 12:29 ']Reading FAJ, says Newark leased 3-ALF apparatus w/ option to buy. I guess this is in addition to the rigs on order ? Anyone with pix yet ?[/quote]

The three ALF lease vehicles are in the city, not in service yet. (title/license issues) They are leased to us to use while we wait for our order of three engines and two ladders to be delivered. At that time we have an option to purchase any or all or just return them. They are:

1999 ALF 2000/640/40 foam pumper. This will be used by E-9

2005 ALF 1250/? mid-engine pumper (Phoenix style) This will go to E-7

1999 ALF 100' rear mount aerial This will go to L-1. L-1's 1997 95' platform will go to L-6

i will try to post pictures, haven't done that before, we'll see what happens. If that doesn't work, I will e-mail them to you and you can post them.
[quote name='tomr' post='195323' date='Mar 8 2008, 14:50 ']The three ALF lease vehicles are in the city, not in service yet. (title/license issues) They are leased to us to use while we wait for our order of three engines and two ladders to be delivered. At that time we have an option to purchase any or all or just return them. They are:

1999 ALF 2000/640/40 foam pumper. This will be used by E-9

2005 ALF 1250/? mid-engine pumper (Phoenix style) This will go to E-7

1999 ALF 100' rear mount aerial This will go to L-1. L-1's 1997 95' platform will go to L-6

i will try to post pictures, haven't done that before, we'll see what happens. If that doesn't work, I will e-mail them to you and you can post them.[/quote]

-Thanx, Tom ! Can't believe L-1 is going away from the Tower !!
[quote name='R1SmokeEater' post='195330' date='Mar 8 2008, 15:07 ']-Thanx, Tom ! Can't believe L-1 is going away from the Tower !![/quote]

As could be expected, some of L-1 are happy to get rid of the tower, some not. I have to say no one at L-6 is happy to get the tower either. L-1 will get one of the two new ladders when they arrive. we would like to keep the tower in service for at least another five years, so it is going to a slower company. L-6's area has mostly wide streets and set back buildings, and the tower will not fit in most of our firehouses, but will fit in L-6. Send me a PM at tgr415@aol.com and I will send the loaner pictures
Bound Brook Fire Department was made up of 5 companies. There were 4 engines and one ladder company in the small town. Due to some inter-company issues the once single IVY HOOK & LADDER was closed in the early 1990's. These few shots where taken in 1983 when there was a fire next to the firehouse... Fast turnout for the truck and they put the stick up to protect its station...

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote name='NJMedic' post='193899' date='Mar 3 2008, 20:51 ']Allenhurst

Monmouth County

One of the smallest municipalities in NJ. It's one quarter of a square mile. This is one of two engines they operate in addtion to a ladder and a small rescue. Allenhurst ranked 131 in Forbes Magazine's list of the most expensive ZIP codes in the United States.[/quote]

The NJ government and fire service always amazes me. Two engines, a ladder, and a rescue for one quarter of a square mile? Why does everyone fight consolidation?
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
[quote name='Roto-Ray' post='195336' date='Mar 8 2008, 15:45 ']The NJ government and fire service always amazes me. Two engines, a ladder, and a rescue for one quarter of a square mile? Why does everyone fight consolidation?[/quote]

In Somerset the freeloaders (Freeholders) have discussed "JOINT SERVICES" for other departments like DPW and such. As for FD's the powers of Volunteers have a great pull still. In Franklin Twp alone which is about 40 square miles there are 28 Engines (+/-) and only 2 ladders. There are 5 or more Rescues or Special Service units. There is alot of duplication of service.
[quote name='Roto-Ray' post='195336' date='Mar 8 2008, 15:45 ']The NJ government and fire service always amazes me. Two engines, a ladder, and a rescue for one quarter of a square mile? Why does everyone fight consolidation?[/quote]

Because many of us like the idea of living in small home town communities that enjoys home rule, where the residents and businesses know personally the people who are elected and appointed. Besides having pride in our histories, we are proud of the amount of equipment and members avaialble in our little state of 8 million people available when major disasters strike. If the people of one or more municipalities want to merge by a referndum then so be it, but for the Governor to try to force it -- no way!

On the other hand, looking at the census figures for Allenhurst, I find that there are only about 700 residents. We do have municipalities in New Jersey of similar square mileage that have 2,000 to 5,000 residents. Checking the municipal website I find that it is a shore community so wonder how many summer residents it might have. They only have 8 police officers including a chief. Another site revealed that the homes are of the large Victorian and Tudor style and having visited that shore area I would say that they've got some expensive old homes to protect.
Rich Dean, Butler, New Jersey, USA

Member of Kinney Hose Co. 1, Butler Fire Dept. since 1973, Fire Police Officer since 2000

Dispatcher at Butler Police Communications from March 1975 to July 2009

Secretary of North Jersey Volunteer Firemen's Association since 1980

Member of Tri-Boro First Aid Squad (volunteer ems) since 2000 as a driver

Member of many Yahoogroups, owner of some such as:

[post="0"]FirematicEvents Yahoogroup[/post]the place to for listing and discussion of any event by a public safety organization.

[post="0"]RailfanEvents Yahoogroup[/post]

[post="0"]Railpics Yahoogroup[/post]
[quote name='Richard_L_Dean_07405' post='195440' date='Mar 8 2008, 16:44 ']Because many of us like the idea of living in small home town communities that enjoys home rule, where the residents and businesses know personally the people who are elected and appointed. Besides having pride in our histories, we are proud of the amount of equipment and members avaialble in our little state of 8 million people available when major disasters strike. If the people of one or more municipalities want to merge by a referndum then so be it, but for the Governor to try to force it -- no way!

On the other hand, looking at the census figures for Allenhurst, I find that there are only about 700 residents. We do have municipalities in New Jersey of similar square mileage that have 2,000 to 5,000 residents. Checking the municipal website I find that it is a shore community so wonder how many summer residents it might have. They only have 8 police officers including a chief. Another site revealed that the homes are of the large Victorian and Tudor style and having visited that shore area I would say that they've got some expensive old homes to protect.[/quote]

I agree, Richard. It seems like whenever there is consolidation of volunteer fire and first aid organizations the volunteers go away due to the loss of what originally attracted them (being part of a unique, community or neighborhood focused organization) and pretty soon the town needs to have a paid department. When you consider the cost of a 24/7 paid department for an engine company or two and an ambulance the cost to the town skyrockets.

A figure I have heard thrown around is that it costs a municipality an average of $100,000 per year for each cop or firefighter (salary, healthcare, pension, training, personal equipment, etc.) they have on the payroll. With that number in mind it would cost close to $500,000 a year PER SHIFT to staff a 24/7 engine and ambulance. Assuming 3 shifts this would put the figure somewhere around $1.5 million a year in payroll. Just for an engine and ambulance. I have nothing against career FFs, but when a town considers the savings a volunteer department provides it is significant, and (in this former volunteer FF's opinion) greatly justifies whatever excesses might come from things like 5 stations in a small town or $800,000 tandem axle rescues.

For what it's worth, when Moorestown NJ was named the best small town in America to live (by Money magazine) one of the community features they cited was the volunteer fire companies in the town.

John
I suppose I just see the oversaturation and duplication of resources in NJ and PA (Allegheny County, PA with 275+ FD's in it?!) and just don't understand it. Seems like the rest of the US gets by without that ... but, to each their own.

I don't want take this thread too far off-track...
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
[quote name='Steve Loftin' post='195603' date='Mar 9 2008, 17:30 ']Madill, OK

1974 Mack #CF685FA10-1691

Diesel/manual

1000/300/85'

Ladder 50

(ex-Pequannock Twp., NJ)

Scott, Jay, and other NJ buffs...do any of you have an in-service shot of this girl at her original home?[/quote]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Morristown Engine 1

Morris County

2007 Spartan/General-Rosenbauer

2000gpm/500g water/25g class A/75g class B foam

Morris Township

Ladder 421

Morris Plains

Engine 514

1997 Pierce Dash