Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fireboats
Leshi and Chief Seattle at Fire Station 5, Dec 2007. The Chief Seattle is still waiting to begin a major overhaul.

Bob Lukas Photo

Attached Files Image(s)

Leschi responding toward the mouth of the Duwamish River and Harbor Island

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Below the wheel house

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I had the pleasure of attending the dedication and christening ceremony today of 3 new fireboats for the Smith Mountain Lake Marine VFD, in Virginia. The next several photos are shots I took throughout the ceremony. An interesting note - the Smith Mountain Lake Marine VFD is the only "all fireboat" department in the nation.

Attached Files Image(s)

Remember, it's their Emergency, not yours !  Arrive Alive !
Some details on these beautiful boats - 27 ft Boston Whaler Guardian, powered by twin Yamaha 4-stroke 300 hp V-8 outboard motors, a seperate 390 hp inboard motor specifically to operate the 1500 gpm fire pump.

These fireboats will operate as Fireboat 11-5, Fireboat 11-6 and Fireboat 11-8 in Bedford County, Virginia.

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote name='NJMedic' date='31 July 2006 - 09:13 PM' timestamp='1154393591' post='17698']

Marine 9

[/quote]

is that the u.s.s sampson in the background ???
The fireboats all operate on Smith Mountain Lake, which borders Bedford, Franklin and Pittsylvania counties. They all have radio communications with all 3 counties for any emergencies.

Here is some of the hardware they have.....

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Fireboat 11-8 showing off for the crowd.

Attached Files Image(s)

Great shots of the new SMLMRD Fire Boats.
My companies fire boat on the trailer.

[Image: IMG_6303.jpg]
Rob Leahy Jr.

Captain/EMT

Vice President

Westville Fire Department

Westville New Jersey

Gloucester County
Anne Arundel County

Station 23-Jones Station

Dive Unit 23's Boat

[Image: Light+Rail+Drill+109.JPG]
Matt

Anne Arundel County, Maryland

My Website: www.bythebayphotos.com
Mystic, CT Fireboat. Docked on the Mystic River. Sorry for the bad angle. Not exactly sure if it's Mystic or Old Mystic Fire Dept. Maybe IzzyEng4 can help?

Certainly not as elaborate as what some folks have, but here is SFD Marine 2:

[Image: Boat8.png]

[Image: Marine2A.jpg]
mmwolf64.......that's Mystic FD

chief Reeves...you know better than probably anyone--it don't need to be fancy as long as it works for you!!!
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13 (KJV)
Anne Arundel County

Riviera Beach

Fireboat 13

[Image: Fireboat+13+013.JPG]
Matt

Anne Arundel County, Maryland

My Website: www.bythebayphotos.com
Any idea why you see a lot of fire boats with red/amber light bars? It seems like you see there that combination a a lot. I thought blue was supposed to be the only emergency light color on water ways because of the color or maritine running light.
Paramedics: Because firefighters need heros too!
[quote name='fenwayfrankee' date='26 June 2010 - 09:37 PM' timestamp='1277601450' post='389273']

Any idea why you see a lot of fire boats with red/amber light bars? It seems like you see there that combination a a lot. I thought blue was supposed to be the only emergency light color on water ways because of the color or maritine running light.

[/quote]

According to the actual navigation rules blue lights are designated only for law enforcement vessels. Red/Amber are "public assistance" lights and convey "no special privilege" unlike a flashing blue. You most commonly see red/amber on a SeaTow or TowboatUS vessel, its what they use to show that they are engaged in assisting a broken down recreational boat.
Question for anyone in the Chicago area......the Chicago FD operates one Fireboat (Engine 2), one reserve Fireboat (Engine 58) and a Fast Response Fireboat (6-8-8, which is a Lake Assault Fireboat).....does anyone know what type/kind of Fast Response Fireboat 6-8-9 is ?? It's listed as being assigned to Engine 104's quarters....anyone ??