Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous
Quote:First up at Black Creek is Engine 12, a 1988 PemFab Royale/FMC 1000/750. We were told this was Hanover's first four door engine.

A couple of questions on this truck - In addition to the PemFab plate, it also had a small plate for TCM - Truck Cab Manufacturer. Was one company owned by the other? We were also uncertain on a serial number for this engine. The pump panel had 8002. Would any serial number expert recognize this as a FMC serial number?

1. No

2. Yes

TCM supplied the cab only. They have supplied cabs to virtually every apparatus chassis builder for many years. Some guy on here was supposed to be writing a Spotter's Guide for TCM cabs, but he's a slacker and hasn't finished it yet.

Based on production numbers on other FMC rigs I've seen, that is a correct style number for that rig.
[quote name='GA_Dave' post='195166' date='Mar 7 2008, 19:40 ']1. No

2. Yes

TCM supplied the cab only. They have supplied cabs to virtually every apparatus chassis builder for many years. Some guy on here was supposed to be writing a Spotter's Guide for TCM cabs, but he's a slacker and hasn't finished it yet.

Based on production numbers on other FMC rigs I've seen, that is a correct style number for that rig.[/quote]

Thanks Taylor for the additional input on Hanover.

Dave, appreciate the the TCM information and confirmation on the FMC number.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Here are the rigs that Jerry and I were after at Singers and the Hanover rigs we shot before Mike caught up to us.

Nice job Mike and the VA crew!

Liked the Hagens very much, they remind me of Stinebaugh.

Is there still what looks to be an x-Henrico rearmt. aerial in the scrapyard behind Hanover Sta. 4?
[quote name='Dr. Stinebaugh' post='195260' date='Mar 8 2008, 09:09 ']Nice job Mike and the VA crew!

Liked the Hagens very much, they remind me of Stinebaugh.

Is there still what looks to be an x-Henrico rearmt. aerial in the scrapyard behind Hanover Sta. 4?[/quote]

Warren,

The old RM truck has been moved or sold in the last couple of weeks.

Paul
Work this week took me out to Onley, Virginia which is located on the Eastern Shore in Accomack County. I would love to spend a couple of days in this area visiting the numerous fire departments.

Onley, Virginia

Accomack County

Engine 18-3

1994 Sutphen

1250/1000

s/n HS-2816

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Also from Onley is this big engine-tanker.

Engine-Tanker 18-4

2007 KME Predator

1250/2000/60

s/n GSO 6608

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Last from Onley is Brush 18, a 1999 GMC 3500/Slagle's 300/200.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
[quote name='mnsand' post='188010' date='Feb 10 2008, 14:37 ']I am not sure if this is the same truck in the previous post or not. The previous red and white International/Oren/Grove was photographed in 1978.

This photograph was taken in 1986, and shows a new Henrico color and rehab by Pierce in 1978. I believe this was sold to South Boston, Virginia.

Any of our Henrico experts know how many the county purchased of this style of ladder truck?

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

Mike, this is the one and only of this style 1963 Oren/International that we had. this shot is after a refurb and new paint job

Fred
[quote name='Taylorexfire' post='198833' date='Mar 21 2008, 19:51 ']Mike, this is the one and only of this style 1963 Oren/International that we had. this shot is after a refurb and new paint job

Fred[/quote]

Thank you Fred for the confirmation.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
[quote name='mnsand' post='198963' date='Mar 22 2008, 08:11 ']Thank you Fred for the confirmation.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

the truck which was referb a couple of times , that you guys are refering to is now owned by bjfirepro and is in his collection , i believe he is going to repaint it (red and white)

David Loving
[quote name='mnsand' post='131443' date='Jul 20 2007, 21:26 ']I know we have another thread for junked apparatus, but I thought I would include this here since it is a Virginia truck.

Hoping some of the Richmond/Henrico guys can help me with some additional information on this International. I am curious how many of these International/Oren's Henrico County ran.

This is a 1964 International/Oren 1000/500 with serial number 1967. It is located at the A.D. Weddle Company in Roanoke.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va[/quote]

Hello, Mike, we bought 4 of these in 1964, 2 1000 gpm and 2 750 gpm. These pumpers were moved to various stations during their career with Henrico. We bought a similar pumper that had a larger tank, and had spoke type wheels for Engine Co. 4. It remained there its entire career.

Doug
[quote name='Steve Loftin' post='199381' date='Mar 23 2008, 20:43 ']Could this be the same truck, but in her original single-axle configuration:?

(FIRE ENGINEERING - April, 1965)[/quote]

That does appear to be Aerial 1 (the original designation). The truck was originally spec'd with a 65' ladder and at the last minute the county changed it to a 100' without upgrading to a duel axle. Once in service, the extra weight caused serious braking problems. After an accident the truck was upgraded to the duel axle configuration. Thanks for the pic.

Fred
[quote name='mnsand' post='198818' date='Mar 21 2008, 18:32 ']Last from Onley is Brush 18, a 1999 GMC 3500/Slagle's 300/200.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

Mike, Good photos of the Onley rides. They look sharp!!
John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
[quote name='Steve Loftin' post='199384' date='Mar 23 2008, 20:48 ']Here's an ad from the back cover of the May, 1965 issue of FIRE ENGINEERING:[/quote]

I always liked the "Frogs" that Henrico ran!!

I hope someone had the thought to keep one or two of them.
John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"