Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Relics
This one isn't a relic yet, just a roadside rig. My Dad and I drove by it yesterday afternoon on 380 just outside of Farmersville, Texas. I only had a few minutes to get out and take a picture, so I didn't have much of a chance to look it over. Any additional information is welcome.

19xx Chevrolet C-65 Boardman

Model No. C-2750-SB

Serial No. F-2343

750 G.P.M. Pump

Photo by Me (April 05, 2008)

[Image: tn_DSC09259.jpg]
[quote name='FDNYTRUCKS.com' post='199225' date='Mar 23 2008, 12:47 ']EPI does repairs on Baltimore Seagrave's. it might be there for that reason.[/quote]

If memory serves me right, the Pitman truck served at Seabrook Station, NH (nuclear power plant) as part of the fire brigade. Can anyone back me up, or correct me?
Mike Graves

Danvers Fire

Lt. Eng. 2, Grp. 3

See you at the big one!
[quote name='roadman' post='203268' date='Apr 6 2008, 20:30 ']If memory serves me right, the Pitman truck served at Seabrook Station, NH (nuclear power plant) as part of the fire brigade. Can anyone back me up, or correct me?[/quote]

the plates on the rig are New Hampshire plates, so you're probably correct, even though they're vanity plates.
[quote name='roadman' post='203268' date='Apr 6 2008, 20:30 ']If memory serves me right, the Pitman truck served at Seabrook Station, NH (nuclear power plant) as part of the fire brigade. Can anyone back me up, or correct me?[/quote]

In Peter Aloisi's book "Fire Apparatus Fighting Fires" (1990), there's a pic on page 18 of the Pitman rig in question here being used at the Seabrook Nuclear Power Station, still lettered for Pitman.
The only MARC in 46 ENGINE!

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01 F.D.N.Y. 343

RIP FF John Bellew 27 Truck F.D.N.Y. 1-23-05

RIP Captain Frank Keane 46 Engine F.D.N.Y 12-11-06
[quote name='Crossbronxxpress' post='203383' date='Apr 7 2008, 10:10 ']In Peter Aloisi's book "Fire Apparatus Fighting Fires" (1990), there's a pic on page 18 of the Pitman rig in question here being used at the Seabrook Nuclear Power Station, still lettered for Pitman.[/quote]

It was listed up for auction on EBay in Hudson, NH sometime last year as well too, pretty cheap if I recall. I do have that book as well, and immediately recognized it when I saw the auction.
[quote name='Crossbronxxpress' post='203383' date='Apr 7 2008, 10:10 ']In Peter Aloisi's book "Fire Apparatus Fighting Fires" (1990), there's a pic on page 18 of the Pitman rig in question here being used at the Seabrook Nuclear Power Station, still lettered for Pitman.[/quote]

Well, I was going to check with one of the guys at the station who worked at Seabrook Station 'back in the day,' but he's out today and you guys seem to have nailed it anyway. Still hafta show it to him when he gets back, though.
It's been sitting at EPI, who is the South Jersey/DE/Southeast PA Seagrave dealer for at least a year.
[quote name='photone' post='202936' date='Apr 5 2008, 15:54 ']Virginia Beach, Virginia undertook a similar 'Restoration' on one of their old Seagrave engines a few years.[/quote]

Check this site out.

[url="http://www.vbgov.com"]http://www.vbgov.com[/url] select Fire department and work you way through and you will see the Monster Fire Truck, a 1944 Seagrave, that has been redone!!!
John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
Here is the Pitman, NJ truck when it was on sale on eBay in Hudson, NH.

-Eric Fellows

[url="http://www.ericsfirepics.com"]Eric's Fire Pics[/url]

I knew I had seen that somewhere! Should have dug out my copy!
Mike Graves

Danvers Fire

Lt. Eng. 2, Grp. 3

See you at the big one!
As a followup to my posting of this rig, I just found out that it was in town to be shown and was sold at a Barrett-Coleman classic car auction. I don't know anything about the auction but heard it was one of the biggest of its type. I don't know who bought the truck or anything else about any deals on it. Who knows where it will turn up.

Mark

[quote name='Andrew2340' post='199423' date='Mar 23 2008, 23:03 ']Could somebody refresh my memory on this Monster rig. As Mark said its a 1937 International, but who built the body on it? I remember somebody, maybe Dave, telling me that this was a one-of-a-kind truck. I also remember everyone seemed pretty upset when they monsterized this rig.[/quote]
I was in Roanoke, Virginia this week and spent a half hour going through the back lot of a truck business that has a couple of interesting "relics".

I was told this Seagrave is a 1941 model and once ran from Newport, Rhode Island. On the front is a tag that reads "Fire Historical Preservation Assoc. Cumberland Valley". There was also an old Maryland license tag on the front seat. Unfortunately, I found no Seagrave plates with serial number, etc. Anyone have info on this truck?

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Another from Newport...wood ground ladders.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Newport again...

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Last of Newport...

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Also at the same business is this old Arlington, Virginia Ward LaFrance. From older photos I have from Arlington, it appears to be a 1950 (approximately) model.

I could not determine other info from the truck (unit number, etc.).

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
[quote name='mnsand' post='204271' date='Apr 11 2008, 22:20 ']Also at the same business is this old Arlington, Virginia Ward LaFrance. From older photos I have from Arlington, it appears to be a 1950 (approximately) model.

I could not determine other info from the truck (unit number, etc.).

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

Mike,

What was the name of the business and what are their plans for those units? I would love to get some parts off of them for my basement.
[quote name='ARFF-FF' post='204296' date='Apr 12 2008, 08:42 ']Mike,

What was the name of the business and what are their plans for those units? I would love to get some parts off of them for my basement.[/quote]

ARFF-FF,

They are at A.D. Weddle Company in Roanoke, just off Orange Avenue. I asked about getting some Seagrave emblems off of the ladder truck, but the owner said no because there might be plans for that truck. I could not find much of anything on the old Arlington WLF, although there was a WLF emblem hanging on the wall of the office inside but the owner did not know if it came from the Arlington piece.

There have been a variety of old Virginia trucks at this business. Last year a 1964 International/Oren ex- Henrico County, Virginia was there, but I did not see it this time.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
[quote name='mnsand' post='204299' date='Apr 12 2008, 09:01 ']ARFF-FF,

They are at A.D. Weddle Company in Roanoke, just off Orange Avenue. I asked about getting some Seagrave emblems off of the ladder truck, but the owner said no because there might be plans for that truck. I could not find much of anything on the old Arlington WLF, although there was a WLF emblem hanging on the wall of the office inside but the owner did not know if it came from the Arlington piece.

There have been a variety of old Virginia trucks at this business. Last year a 1964 International/Oren ex- Henrico County, Virginia was there, but I did not see it this time.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

Mike, Is this the yard near to the old Oren plant? If so I have seen some jewels sitting there back when Oren was still cranking them out. I didn't know that it may still be there. A trip is forthcoming to pay a visit before they all get away. It a shame to see these great rigs sitting rusting away. That TDA looks very familer. It may be in the Tiller Thread.
John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
[quote name='Andrew2340' post='178881' date='Jan 10 2008, 12:06 ']Thanks for your input also Mark!! I know this is a little off-topic, but just some further info about Culberson's apparatus...

"Engine 1251": 1979 Ford C/E-One 1250/750 (ex-Southern Manatee, FL)

"Engine 1252": 1980 Pirsch 88B 1250/300 (ex-Branchville VFD "Engine 111" PG County, MD)

"Engine 1253": 1969 Mack CF685F 1250/500 (ex-Arnold VFD "Engine 172" AA County, MD)

"Tanker 1261": 1977 Chevrolet C-65/Atlas 500/1500 (ex-Stokes Rockingham VFD, NC "Tanker 637")

"Brush 1271": 1970's Chevrolet C-30/Local 250/250 (ex-NC Forest Service)

"Support 1272": 1985 Ford E-350/Wheeled Coach Support Unit/Air Unit (ex-Peachtree, NC "1571 ex-Valleytown Rural VFD of Andrews, NC "3072")

"New Engine, Not in Service Yet": 1977 ALF Century 1500/750 (ex-Somerdale, NJ "6511")

"New Engine, About to Sell This One To A New VFD Near Macon, GA": 1978 Ward LaFrance Patriot 1000/750 (ex-Winder, GA)

and of course, you've all seen the old Clinton truck that's hopefully to be in service sometime.

In their 3-bay station, they keep the Pirsch engine, the Ford C/E-One engine, and the Chevrolet/Atlas tanker. The Ambulance and the Brush truck are parked outside the station, and actually the brush truck appeared out of service the other day. The ALF Century engine is kept at the Asst. Chief's house. The WLF Patriot, the Mack CF and the Clinton truck are all at the Chief's house.[/quote]

Any chance you can get a picture of the Mack CF? It belonged to dept up here where i live.

Thanks
Firefighter - Odenton Volunteer Fire Department

Fire Apparatus Photographer - MD/VA/PA/DE

See my photos at: http://timwolfe.smugmug.com/

Check out MarylandFireTrucks: http://marylandfiretrucks.smugmug.com