Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Garden State Oldies

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote name='ChiefHank' post='205387' date='Apr 15 2008, 15:43 '][color="#0000FF"]If you notice in the picture of Engine 6's red Mack R, it is sporting a bit of "Newark Sunburn," or "Flame Tan" along its left side.

Engine 6's Mack R was repainted "slime yellow" after the collision with Engine 20's Mack R, which occurred on the morning of February 27, 1973, while both units were responding to an alarm in a Newark housing project. All the firefighters riding both pieces were injured, a couple of them seriously, and a civilian waiting for a bus was killed.

Even though repaired, Engine 6's rig was never really right again. The frame was apparently slightly bent in the accident, resulting in the rig riding off-center.

On March 20, 1977, Engine 6's Mack R was placed in reserve as a spare, and scrapped in 1985.
[/color][/quote]

Great history lesson, Hank--thanks! I know I saw a number of the R models that NFD had in action, but only recall seeing the yellow ones, not the red version.
[quote name='Fireman5230' post='205336' date='Apr 15 2008, 13:23 ']Newark had a total of 8 R model engines and 1 R model Rescue.

2 in 1968

2 in 1969

4 in 1972 *1 (Engine 6) had a High Pressure Pump and 2 booster reels.

1 in 1975 *Rescue 1 - LAST R model and MACK in the City.

Here are shots of Engine 6 (Busiest Engine in NJ at the time) Its a 1972 Engine that was delivered in Red and with in a short time took the Lime color of Newark. It was in front line service for just 5 years before going to Spare status.[/quote]

Thanks for the info and photos.
Hank...

Can you share the shots of Engine 7 before and after it tried to climb IN the Building? I think I have copies of what was on the Newark Fire History but dont have the story.
Great pics Scott....keep them coming!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Scott,

Your pictures are consistantly some of the best on here, everytime you post to a thread it is like a magic walk down history lane. Keep up these pictures and thank you for contributing!!
[quote name='Fireman5230' post='205623' date='Apr 17 2008, 04:08 ']Hank...

Can you share the shots of Engine 7 before and after it tried to climb IN the Building? I think I have copies of what was on the Newark Fire History but dont have the story.[/quote]

[color="#0000FF"]Okay, let's start with a look at the history of the 1968 Mack "R" pumper that served with Newark Engine 7.

It had a 1000 GPM Waterous pump, a 300-gallon booster tank, bore serial #IO-1019, and cost $27,500. It was placed in service with Engine 2 on June 11, 1968. A photo of the rig as Engine 2 has appeared on Firepics recently.

On November 26, 1974, the rig was reassigned to Engine 1 as its pumper, and on May 15, 1975, it was reassigned to Engine 1 as its hose wagon (Engine 1 was a 2-piece company at the time).

To be continued...[/color]

[color="#FF0000"]Unknown Photographer

Collection of Mike Martinelli
[/color]

Attached Files Image(s)

[color="#0000FF"]On December 22, 1975, Wagon 1's 1968 Mack "R" was placed in reserve as a spare.

On January 1, 1976, Tactical Unit 2 was disbanded and Engine 7 was reactivated at their West Market Street quarters. They were assigned Register 22, the 1968 Mack "R" pumper, which formerly served with Engines 2 and 1.

[color="#FF0000"]Unknown Photographer

Collection of Mike Martinelli
[/color]

Attached Files Image(s)

[color="#0000FF"]While operating at a four-alarm fire on July 30, 1978, which involved ten frame dwellings and tenements, at Broadway and Hinsdale PLace, Engine 7's 1968 Mack "R" pumper was moderately damaged when the front wall of a three-story frame tenement collapsed on it.

[color="#FF0000"]Photo by Hank Przybylowicz Jr.
[/color]

Attached Files Image(s)