Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Garden State Oldies

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote name='ChiefHank' post='206334' date='Apr 18 2008, 17:49 '][color="#0000FF"]Thanx, Scott.

Engine 11's 1966 Mack "B" was the last of the six that were purchased by the NFD: one in 1956; four in 1962, and one in 1966.

The '66 Mack bore NFD Register #2, and was placed in service with Engine 11 on July 14, 1966. It was equipped with a 1,000 GPM Waterous pump, a 300-gallon booster tank, and bore serial #1267.

On January 30, 1975, Register 2 was placed in reserve as a spare, and was scrapped circa 1978.

Engine 11's Mack "B" was considered the "Cadillac" of Newark's Mack B's, much to the credit of Firefighter Bill Knapp, who was a permament driver. He treated the rig as it was his own and took pains to make it the best lookin' rig in Newark's apparatus fleet, as can be seen in the photo below.[/color]

[color="#FF0000"]Photographer Unknown

Mike Martinelli Collection
[/color][/quote]

Scott - Hank (Mike)

Great Shot of this rig!!! would love to see some of the Mack C models that served NFD!!!
[quote name='Steve Loftin' post='206608' date='Apr 19 2008, 09:32 ']I thought blue lights on apparatus in NJ were reserved (passionately) for volunteer rigs; however, this girl sports a pair of blue lollipops on the roof. What's the story?[/quote]

I don't know when volunteers began using blue lights in NJ but this lighting scheme was not that unusal in NJ until the mid 1980's. I believe Mahwah is Bergen County has several units where blue is the majority color of the emergency lights.
[quote name='Steve Loftin' post='206608' date='Apr 19 2008, 09:32 ']I thought blue lights on apparatus in NJ were reserved (passionately) for volunteer rigs; however, this girl sports a pair of blue lollipops on the roof. What's the story?[/quote]

I know that Irvington had a few rigs of late 60's and 70's vintage that at one time or another had blue lollipop lights. If I recall correctly, the Pierce/Pittman Snorkel that the IFD had was delivered with two blue rotating beacons that were eventually replaced. I'll see if I can find a photo.

My father told me it was mainly because of these "Blue lights" on fire apparatus - CAUSED the NJ lawmakers to make the Blue Light rule. Fireman wanted the Blue for them and did not want it used by Police or Ambulances. So the NJ lawmakers made the law state that FIRE TRUCKS, POLICE CARS and AMBULANCES would use RED and that fireman and squad members would use the BLUE on their own cars.

Up until last year or so, the las stated "No blue lights will be GREATER then 51 Candle Power" and that "One or 2 blue FLASHING lights would be at the top or bottom CORNERS of the window sheild".
[quote name='ChiefHank' post='206334' date='Apr 18 2008, 17:49 '][color="#0000FF"]Thanx, Scott.

Engine 11's 1966 Mack "B" was the last of the six that were purchased by the NFD: one in 1956; four in 1962, and one in 1966.

The '66 Mack bore NFD Register #2, and was placed in service with Engine 11 on July 14, 1966. It was equipped with a 1,000 GPM Waterous pump, a 300-gallon booster tank, and bore serial #1267.

On January 30, 1975, Register 2 was placed in reserve as a spare, and was scrapped circa 1978.

Engine 11's Mack "B" was considered the "Cadillac" of Newark's Mack B's, much to the credit of Firefighter Bill Knapp, who was a permament driver. He treated the rig as it was his own and took pains to make it the best lookin' rig in Newark's apparatus fleet, as can be seen in the photo below.[/color]

[color="#FF0000"]Photographer Unknown

Mike Martinelli Collection
[/color][/quote]

That is one beautiful rig!

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)