Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Memphis Fire Dept
Kramer,

I got a question. We were looking at the pics of engine 30 can you tell me what the square door on the left side rear above the tail lights is for. Our best guess was maybe it had the controls for the hose reel. Can you find out or do you know?

Thanks in advance!
Kory Green

Captain

Dresden Fire Department

Training Officer

Martin Fire Department
[quote name='Kory' post='189849' date='Feb 17 2008, 17:23 ']Kramer,

I got a question. We were looking at the pics of engine 30 can you tell me what the square door on the left side rear above the tail lights is for. Our best guess was maybe it had the controls for the hose reel. Can you find out or do you know?

Thanks in advance![/quote]

Kory it is the backup horn controller with about 15-20' of line on it...
[quote name='Hugh' post='189882' date='Feb 17 2008, 20:28 ']Kory it is the backup horn controller with about 15-20' of line on it...[/quote]

Thanks, Hugh we where all sitting at the firehouse this morning trying to figure that one out...
Kory Green

Captain

Dresden Fire Department

Training Officer

Martin Fire Department
The Battalion Chiefs here are getting some new rides. They're switching from Ford Crown Vics to Ford Explorers. 12 Explorers were ordered. Two more are coming from other areas of the department (Director & Dep. Director's old vehicles). One will have to be repainted to match the red.

The EMS Lieutenants, EMS Battalion Chiefs (Field & Training), EMS Division Chief, and EMS Deputy Chief are receiving Ford Expeditions. They are here in Memphis and pics of them should be posted soon.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Another:

Another:

The lightbars are just a tad bit too big for the vehicle in my opinion:

Attached Files Image(s)

Not bad. No grill lights huh? How about lights on th rear door area? We had a lightbar on a car that stuck out like that and after the guy who drove it most of the time kept hitting his head, we convinced the shop to get a light that would fit better and not stick out like the other did.
John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
Have the new pumpers gone into service yet? I haven't been north of the line lately to look around.
I also noticed on the Ferrara website that the refinery in Memphis is having a new custom pumper built. Have they always had equipment on site?
[quote name='senatobiafire704' post='212327' date='May 9 2008, 13:09 ']Have the new pumpers gone into service yet? I haven't been north of the line lately to look around.[/quote]

Yes. Engines 30, 42, and 60 have gone into service. There are some more pumpers (not sure how many) being built now at Pierce.
[quote name='senatobiafire704' post='212328' date='May 9 2008, 13:14 ']I also noticed on the Ferrara website that the refinery in Memphis is having a new custom pumper built. Have they always had equipment on site?[/quote]

As far as I know, they have.
[quote name='Truckman' post='212325' date='May 9 2008, 12:52 ']Not bad. No grill lights huh? How about lights on th rear door area? We had a lightbar on a car that stuck out like that and after the guy who drove it most of the time kept hitting his head, we convinced the shop to get a light that would fit better and not stick out like the other did.[/quote]

No grill lights. There is a traffic bar in the rear window though.
Two of the EMS Expeditions arrived at Armour Center this afternoon. I'll post a few pics when I get home tonight.
Hey Tomek,

Would it be possible to post photos of the interior and exterior compartment configurations of the new Medic Units....Thanks in Advance. Jim
Jim Kay

Retired Firefighter/Paramedic

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
Is it me or is Memphis getting away from the traditional vermilion red ?
Shelby County Fire Department

Fire Alarm Office

Memphis, Tn
[quote name='jim kay' post='212372' date='May 9 2008, 16:57 ']Hey Tomek,

Would it be possible to post photos of the interior and exterior compartment configurations of the new Medic Units....Thanks in Advance. Jim[/quote]

Yeah, will do. The Explorers don't have any compartments, but the Expeditions do for EMS supplies, etc. I'll post a few in a couple of days when I can get into one of them.
[quote name='firedog120' post='212424' date='May 9 2008, 17:42 ']Yeah, will do. The Explorers don't have any compartments, but the Expeditions do for EMS supplies, etc. I'll post a few in a couple of days when I can get into one of them.[/quote]

Kind of interesting that the EMS guys have the larger vehicles and the battalion chiefs have the smaller vehicles.
People complaining about spam in the spam mail box... Huh, what'll they think of next?
[quote name='firedog120' post='212365' date='May 9 2008, 16:18 ']Yes. Engines 30, 42, and 60 have gone into service. There are some more pumpers (not sure how many) being built now at Pierce.[/quote]

There are 3 in production that should be delivered soon. They are identical to the first 3 but will have 30 gallon (I think) Class B foam cells and the Husky Foam Pro system.
[quote name='JFong' post='212431' date='May 9 2008, 19:57 ']Kind of interesting that the EMS guys have the larger vehicles and the battalion chiefs have the smaller vehicles.[/quote]

Kinda obvious who has the admin's attention, huh?