Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
F.D.N.Y.
[quote name='Truckman' date='29 January 2010 - 12:08 AM' timestamp='1264740499' post='361043']

An OK light for utility trucks.

[/quote]

Just another thing to break that will never be fixed after warranty....
Kill 'em all, let Allah sort 'em out. NEVER forget 9/11/01 WTC, Pentagon, Pa. Avenge the acts with NO mercy.

Thanks to ALL the Brothers who were there 9/11/01 and afterwards. Words can never say what appreciation we have for you all.
sick fdny is getting better trucks love the new seagraves with the raised roof
When we built our Ladder a couple of years ago, one of the guys at the factory said that all those lights were good for were "docking your boat".
Not so sure the raised roof is a good idea. I can see it getting smacked by the boom, it cuts down on your scrub area.
[quote name='truckwork' date='29 January 2010 - 02:24 PM' timestamp='1264791845' post='361090']

Not so sure the raised roof is a good idea. I can see it getting smacked by the boom, it cuts down on your scrub area.

[/quote]

While the raised roof will cut your scrub area I will bet the truck itself won't let the boom make contact with the roof unless an override is used. I dont know about Seagrave but I know Pierce are like that.
[quote name='buddylee' date='28 January 2010 - 09:29 PM' timestamp='1264730953' post='361010']

7 Top of truck Was told that is a spot light. Not sure how it works.

[/quote]

http://www.golight.com/products/golight.html
[quote name='ResQguy' date='30 January 2010 - 10:04 PM' timestamp='1264905882' post='361316']

http://www.golight.com/products/golight.html

[/quote]

I have seen these lights on hydro service trucks and tow trucks. Help find addresses at night.
Russell Pascoe

Brampton, Ontario

Canada

[url="http://ottawafirepics.blogspot.com/"]http://ottawafirepics.blogspot.com/[/url]

[url="http://torontofire.blogspot.com/"]http://torontofire.blogspot.com/[/url]

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
[quote name='1958 F.W.D.' date='18 January 2010 - 08:54 AM' timestamp='1263825271' post='359140']

Yes and No.

It is not a rumor that the bids for rearmount ladders and rescues were awarded to Ferrara Fire Apparatus.

This is due to the fact that for the aerials, Seagrave had 20+ exceptions to the RFP, all mainly having to do with NYC's warranty requirements. It should also be noted that Seagrave was $2500 cheaper per unit. Ferrara was NOT awarded the bid because they were cheaper.

For the Rescues, Seagrave simply did not submit a bid proposal. FFA in fact, was the only submitter.

Is FDNY "going away" from Seagrave? No. They are awarding their bids to manufacturers whom submit bid proposals that meet their requirements.

[/quote]

I'm very surprised that Pierce didn't submit a bid for the Rescue's considering that they sold the NYFD their current Rescue 1 within the last couple of years.
[quote name='firepost' date='31 January 2010 - 05:20 AM' timestamp='1264932014' post='361348']

I'm very surprised that Pierce didn't submit a bid for the Rescue's considering that they sold the NYFD their current Rescue 1 within the last couple of years.

[/quote]

Pierce would not manufacture a stainless steel cab, therefore they do not meet the specs that were put out to bid. Probably a good thing for Pierce, every manufacturer that does business with the city has nothing but trouble because of the 5 yr warranty. (i.e. ALF, Seagrave)
Ladder 37 the only reason i posting this is because im using my new nikon af-s 35 mm takes pretty sharp pictures not as sharp as the 50 mm version which i also own but the 50 mm verzion is a pain in the butt because you have to back way up, not so much backing up with the 35 mm

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

here is engine 79 in the 50 mm lens i had to cross the street to take this shot but the pic i think is alot sharper than the 35 mm and the normal 18-55 mm lens

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[quote name='truckwork' date='31 January 2010 - 10:10 AM' timestamp='1264953022' post='361377']

Pierce would not manufacture a stainless steel cab, therefore they do not meet the specs that were put out to bid. Probably a good thing for Pierce, every manufacturer that does business with the city has nothing but trouble because of the 5 yr warranty. (i.e. ALF, Seagrave)

[/quote]

That's interesting Truckwork. So I take it that the NYFD must require a 5 year warranty on their contracts? If so New York certainly has some pretty stringent requirements considering that they do alot of running in New York. Would you know what the normal warranty length is for most Pierce Apparatus?

Thanks Firepost
[quote name='firepost' date='31 January 2010 - 01:04 PM' timestamp='1264959881' post='361392']

That's interesting Truckwork. So I take it that the NYFD must require a 5 year warranty on their contracts? If so New York certainly has some pretty stringent requirements considering that they do alot of running in New York. Would you know what the normal warranty length is for most Pierce Apparatus?

Thanks Firepost

[/quote]

I am pretty sure all manufacturers offer a 1 year warranty on all new apparatus. FDNY requires a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty, and on these last round of bids, the city would not lighten up on any of the requirments. I was told that Ferrara came in a few grand more for each unit than Seagrave, but Seagrave had too many exceptions to the specs.
I am hearing rumors within the apparatus industry that Seagrave is on the verge of bankruptcy
ALF did it and came back. Rumors are Wolverine is on the verge but noting since December has been posted.
Stephen Taylor

Retired Volunteer Firefighter
Retired Career Fire Dispatcher
Yarmouth Fire Department
Yarmouth, N.S. Canada
gotta disagree on the ALF coming back part. they have no dealer network at all anymore. IMHO they are circling the drain. the town just to our south is almost 2 years over scheduled delivery for a pumper and the other town on our southern border had to take a demo tower with 17k miles on it, because they werent getting the new one they ordered-it was never built!
FSU AKA Fire Scene Unit operated by the fire marshalls

Attached Files Image(s)

Most apparatus manufacturer's will supply you with an extended warranty, but it will come at a significant cost to each rig. It sounds to me that Ferrara wanted the business a little more than the others. The funny thing about the Stainless Cabs are that the most manufacturer's that do aluminum and not S/S will offer a warranty close to if not equal to the aluminum and still cost you less than the S/S. I guess there is nothing wrong with wanting S/S if you are looking for the truck to last 50 years, but in todays usage at the larger municiple level, 7-10 years is max and then it gets recylced for a fraction of the cost whether it's S/S or aluminum.
[quote name='capttomo' date='31 January 2010 - 06:09 PM' timestamp='1264978189' post='361432']

I am hearing rumors within the apparatus industry that Seagrave is on the verge of bankruptcy

[/quote]

Yep that has been the same story about Seagrave since the late 70's
[quote name='FDNYTRUCKS.com' date='31 January 2010 - 08:05 PM' timestamp='1264988716' post='361460']

gotta disagree on the ALF coming back part. they have no dealer network at all anymore. IMHO they are circling the drain. the town just to our south is almost 2 years over scheduled delivery for a pumper and the other town on our southern border had to take a demo tower with 17k miles on it, because they werent getting the new one they ordered-it was never built!

[/quote]

I agree with Mr. Martinelli, My neighboring department ordered a 110ft ALF Stick over three years ago. They canceled the order this last summer/fall and ordered a Pierce. Funny the Pierce will be delivered in the next month. The local ALF dealer dropped ALF a over a year ago and recently went out of business. ALF never would send photos of the rig delayed the delivery date three times and finely at the very end sent a photo of a cab with the name of department written in grease pencil on it. To bad, ALF's cab looks nice, and it would have been only the fourth ALF in the Kansas City metro.

Stay Safe,

Rick
Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri