Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous
I was surprised to find a Hagen built brush truck in this area. A variety of Hagen built trucks are/were in and around the Richmond area, especially in Hanover County.

Crewe runs this unique truck as their Brush 7, a 1976 Ford F250/Hagen 300/200

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
[quote name='mnsand' post='235023' date='Aug 2 2008, 05:32 ']I find it interesting the number of older Mack CF aerialscopes in service at Virginia stations. I have run into a variety during the past year.

Truck 9 at Blackstone is this 1971 Mack CF that had a rehab in 1988. 75' with CF608FAP1142. It originally served Cherry Hill, NJ and was then sold to Avery, North Carolina. Blackstone purchased it from Avery in 2003. Prior to red and white, I believe it was one time lime or yellow in color.

I am told this is the Mack that Corgi did their model from. I am sure there is some additional history on this truck - does anyone have photos of this Mack while in service in either Cherry Hill or Avery?

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

Great picture Mike, I'd always wondered where this truck got off to. It used to be "9900" for Avery County,NC serving as a county-wide piece and was kept in the basement of Linville VFD's station. I think Dave Organ has an in-service shot of it as 9900, this rig was sold before I was into apparatus photography.
Micah Bodford
Fire Investigator
City of Winston-Salem Fire Dept.
Here is the other side of Brush 7.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I will throw this one in in case there is any interest - it is currently for sale and sitting in the side lot of Crewe VFD. I am told it is in good condition, the problem was no one could find the keys to move it for photos. If there is any interest, the price is negotiable. Email me at mnsand@comcast.net for contact information at Crewe.

1974 Ford C/John Bean

750/750

s/m 9224

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Final from Crewe is the station, which was built in 2000 by land donated by Norfolk Southern RR which has a train yard directly behind the station.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Last stop for the day was Burkeville, also located in Nottoway County. My timing was not real good here because some members were busy preparing the station for a county board meeting that evening, so cleaning was in process and trucks were scattered in a variety of locations.

I will post some of the apparatus that I photographed at Burkeville starting with Engine 6, a 1996 KME Renegade 1250/1000 with s/n GSO 2802.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I like this tanker......a 1971 Chevrolet C50/Slagle's 250/1000 that runs as Tanker 4.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
And finally Brush 3, a 1964 Chevrolet C20/Morrison Bodies/Smith-Moore Body Company with a 250 gallon water tank. This one is still running strong.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
here's a shot of the Blackstone tower while it was in Cherry Hill. from my collection.

Mike,

At Burkeville, did you miss or not have time for: the new Tanker 4, Utility 5, EMS7, and Engine 8?

Jerry
A couple of newer deliveries in Northern Virginia that I photographed this weekend....

Fairfax County, Virginia

Great Falls Station

Engine 412

2008 Pierce Dash

1500/750/40

County # 7289

Pierce job number 19148-01

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Sterling Park, Virginia is located in Loudoun County - the fire department operates from two stations - Station 11 and 18.

In 2000, they took delivery of two identical Spartan/Smeal Quints and assigned them as Quint 11 and Quint 18.

Not to long ago, Quint 18 was sold and the FD just took delivery of a new Quint.

Sterling Park, VA

Loudoun County

Quint 18

2008 Spartan Gladiator/Smeal

105'

2000/500

s/n 804140

The main difference between the new Quint and the older ones is the ladder size - the 2000 models have a 75' ladder.

The new Quint 18 will also back up Sterling's Seagrave tower when it goes out of service - in those situations, Quint 18 will run as Truck 11.

Quint 18 should be in service in about two weeks.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Here is Sterling's Tower 11 mentioned in the above post...

2006 Seagrave TPOAKK Marauder II

104'

s/n 87R01

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
[quote name='mnsand' post='235031' date='Aug 2 2008, 05:47 ']I found this old Blackstone truck at the town's maintenance yard. Information I have is a 1976 Dodge 500/Local 250/1250.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

Mike,

This truck is either a 1968 or 69 Dodge, hood changed on 70 & 71, and cab changed on 72+ trucks.

Blackstone also had a 1968 Dodge / Oren that is now in Tommy Herman's collection, but might be going back to Blackstone. I've got photos of it, but not scanned, will post later.

Nollie
1968 Dodge / Oren

Blackstone VA

Now owned by Tommy Herman

My understanding, it has been offered back to Blackstone if they want it for another antique rig.

Photo from T.H.,

Nollie

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote name='Nollie Neill Jr' post='235829' date='Aug 4 2008, 13:57 ']Mike,

This truck is either a 1968 or 69 Dodge, hood changed on 70 & 71, and cab changed on 72+ trucks.

Blackstone also had a 1968 Dodge / Oren that is now in Tommy Herman's collection, but might be going back to Blackstone. I've got photos of it, but not scanned, will post later.

Nollie[/quote]

Nollie,

Thanks for the clarification on the Dodge. I pulled the info from a photo sent to me previously. It has been at the maintenance yard for a number of years.

The guys at Blackstone told me about the 68 Dodge/Oren and had a real nice photo of it at the station. I think there is some concern about the number of older trucks they own. The '68 Dodge is one I would not mind having.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I have learned that Mike will have some minor surgery this week and will be out of service for a few days. This is being done to correct some "ringing" in his ear. I hope all of you will join me in keeping Mike in your thoughts and wish him a speedy and complete recovery.

Good luck Mike. We're thinking of you!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry
[quote name='firemag' post='236250' date='Aug 5 2008, 19:33 ']I have learned that Mike will have some minor surgery this week and will be out of service for a few days. This is being done to correct some "ringing" in his ear. I hope all of you will join me in keeping Mike in your thoughts and wish him a speedy and complete recovery.

Jerry[/quote]

Jerry, thanks for the note.

Mike we are thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery.
Dave McClung

Arden Hills, Minnesota but....

my heart is also back in Northern VA, especially Alexandria.

All pictures are taken by me and subject to copyright.

No picture taken by me may be copied or linked without my

express permission.
[quote name='firemag' post='236250' date='Aug 5 2008, 20:33 ']I have learned that Mike will have some minor surgery this week and will be out of service for a few days. This is being done to correct some "ringing" in his ear. I hope all of you will join me in keeping Mike in your thoughts and wish him a speedy and complete recovery.

Jerry[/quote]

Thanks Jerry. Prayers and thoughts for Mike.
John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
I appreciate the prayers and thoughts......I am on the mend. Thank you.

I made my way through Westmoreland County today on a return trip to Northern Virginia and was able to find some people at two stations that are normally closed by tight.

I posted some earlier photos from Montross, Virginia earlier and had the opportunity today to photograph the rest of the fleet.

Montross, VA

Westmoreland VFD

Engine 22

2006 Pierce Enforcer

1250/750

job # 18058

Runs as their Rescue Engine

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA