Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
F.D.N.Y.
As far as the Seagrave engines go, all of the 1992 models were disposed of quite some time ago, with the exception of the one that had the retrofitted 2000 squad body added to it. Approx. 10-15 of the 1993 models have also been disposed of with several more on the way out soon.
[quote name='jquest6368' post='247674' date='Sep 16 2008, 17:40 ']As far as the Seagrave engines go, all of the 1992 models were disposed of quite some time ago, with the exception of the one that had the retrofitted 2000 squad body added to it. Approx. 10-15 of the 1993 models have also been disposed of with several more on the way out soon.[/quote]

I am still waiting for the 1994 Seagrave pumper that formerly served the Fire Factory to go up for sale.... I look at the online auction site each week to see if a 1994 Seagrave is up or not. That is the piece I remember from the very first time I stopped at the Fire Factory... I can still remember how excited I was to be there!!!

Dave
[quote name='Rheems1' post='247866' date='Sep 17 2008, 20:15 ']I am still waiting for the 1994 Seagrave pumper that formerly served the Fire Factory to go up for sale.... I look at the online auction site each week to see if a 1994 Seagrave is up or not. That is the piece I remember from the very first time I stopped at the Fire Factory... I can still remember how excited I was to be there!!!

Dave[/quote]

SP9330 (the former E-58 rig) is now Reserve 505 and is quartered at 54 Engine. It will probably be there for another year or so. If you can find it in your heart to forgive the guys at 54/4 that wronged you, then you can stop by and see it.

Marc
The only MARC in 46 ENGINE!

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01 F.D.N.Y. 343

RIP FF John Bellew 27 Truck F.D.N.Y. 1-23-05

RIP Captain Frank Keane 46 Engine F.D.N.Y 12-11-06
[quote name='jquest6368' post='247674' date='Sep 16 2008, 17:40 ']As far as the Seagrave engines go, all of the 1992 models were disposed of quite some time ago, with the exception of the one that had the retrofitted 2000 squad body added to it. Approx. 10-15 of the 1993 models have also been disposed of with several more on the way out soon.[/quote]

if they've been gone for so long why haven't they been turning up at smaller depts refurbed? do any of you guys know of any being refurbed at this time? given how many old FDNY machines were auctioned off over the years, were refurbed & turned back up it jut seems a little strange all these seagraves seem to have just disappeared.
[quote name='Crossbronxxpress' post='247868' date='Sep 17 2008, 20:21 ']SP9330 (the former E-58 rig) is now Reserve 505 and is quartered at 54 Engine. It will probably be there for another year or so. If you can find it in your heart to forgive the guys at 54/4 that wronged you, then you can stop by and see it.

Marc[/quote]

I have forgiven them, I just guess I don't understand why stuff like that happens. Part of being a firefighter is public relations, that is part of what we do... part of what they are getting paid to do (no offense). I am pretty much over it because almost every other house I have been to in FDNY have been great.. so maybe I just got a bad apple. I went to Engine 6/Ladder 9 and they treated me like I was one of them... they asked me to stay for supper even which was amazing to me. I have had more good experiences than bad at FDNY houses, once again everyone at your house was very nice and welcoming and I appreciated it very much. I might have to go by Engine 54/Ladder 4 and see that unit...whenever it goes up for sale (if it still runs and isn't parted out) I will have my money ready!!

Dave
[quote name='Rheems1' post='247896' date='Sep 18 2008, 03:17 ']I have forgiven them, I just guess I don't understand why stuff like that happens. Part of being a firefighter is public relations, that is part of what we do... part of what they are getting paid to do (no offense). I am pretty much over it because almost every other house I have been to in FDNY have been great.. so maybe I just got a bad apple.[/quote]

(playing devil's advocate here.....)

Imagine if you will, for one minute, being assigned to 54 Engine or 4 Truck. Located on 48th Street at 8th Avenue. Smack dab in the middle of the busiest location of Midtown Manhattan- The Theater District, right around the corner from Times Square. It simply doesnt get any busier. More people walk past their front door in one day, than the total populations of some of the communities that the members of Firepics live in.

Now imagine if you will, that the Jets/Giant/Mets/Yankees/Rangers are on TV on a hot Sunday afternoon, after you have been on the seventh CFR-D run in the last 2 hours- all you want to do is sink into a chair in the TV Room and vegetate. But then the door opens- The man on watch is looking for someone to "show a volly from Pigs Knuckle, Iowa" around the firehouse- for the fourth time today.

Now imagine that this happens each and every tour.........We wont even get into the number of civilian non-firefighters that want to poke their heads in and ask dumbass questions like "Were you working on September 11? Did you lose any friends? How many men in this firehouse died? How many funerals did you go to?"

Now imagine all of the above, except you are assigned to 10 and 10, and multiply the number of idiots by three million......

Also, take into consideration that perhaps they were having a bad day, as some of us do in our career houses- Maybe they got into a pissing contest with each other, or a covering Captain layed out some bullshit that peed them off, or any of a number of other things......Maybe MetroWreck issued a rediculous Department Order that they just got done reading.....

I myself have never been in an FDNY Firehouse and received a bad reception, and I have been in many. Granted some are better than others, but never a bad reception, so it's hard for me to imagine getting one. But on the other hand, I take into consideration all of the above, and dont think I would hold it against the members of 54/4. But thats me. Why not give them a second chance?
Yeh, Crossbronx just imagine that.

Thanks Yardo"Chef 69" for the excellent comentary.
[quote name='1958 F.W.D.' post='247993' date='Sep 18 2008, 16:43 '](playing devil's advocate here.....)

Imagine if you will, for one minute, being assigned to 54 Engine or 4 Truck. Located on 48th Street at 8th Avenue. Smack dab in the middle of the busiest location of Midtown Manhattan- The Theater District, right around the corner from Times Square. It simply doesnt get any busier. More people walk past their front door in one day, than the total populations of some of the communities that the members of Firepics live in.

Now imagine if you will, that the Jets/Giant/Mets/Yankees/Rangers are on TV on a hot Sunday afternoon, after you have been on the seventh CFR-D run in the last 2 hours- all you want to do is sink into a chair in the TV Room and vegetate. But then the door opens- The man on watch is looking for someone to "show a volly from Pigs Knuckle, Iowa" around the firehouse- for the fourth time today.

Now imagine that this happens each and every tour.........We wont even get into the number of civilian non-firefighters that want to poke their heads in and ask dumbass questions like "Were you working on September 11? Did you lose any friends? How many men in this firehouse died? How many funerals did you go to?"

Now imagine all of the above, except you are assigned to 10 and 10, and multiply the number of idiots by three million......

Also, take into consideration that perhaps they were having a bad day, as some of us do in our career houses- Maybe they got into a pissing contest with each other, or a covering Captain layed out some bullshit that peed them off, or any of a number of other things......Maybe MetroWreck issued a rediculous Department Order that they just got done reading.....

I myself have never been in an FDNY Firehouse and received a bad reception, and I have been in many. Granted some are better than others, but never a bad reception, so it's hard for me to imagine getting one. But on the other hand, I take into consideration all of the above, and dont think I would hold it against the members of 54/4. But thats me. Why not give them a second chance?[/quote]

Thank you. After working in 54 Engine for almost three years, I can say that you described a typical day tour to the T. And the Sept. 11th related questions were spot on. Some of them got even more personal than that. Like asking "How many bodies we saw", and other very morbid stuff that you would NEVER think to ask anyone.
The only MARC in 46 ENGINE!

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01 F.D.N.Y. 343

RIP FF John Bellew 27 Truck F.D.N.Y. 1-23-05

RIP Captain Frank Keane 46 Engine F.D.N.Y 12-11-06
[quote name='Reverend Ray' post='247997' date='Sep 18 2008, 22:08 ']Yeh, Crossbronx just imagine that.

Thanks Yardo"Chef 69" for the excellent comentary.[/quote]

You missed the reunion this past weekend you skavode meathead....Thats ok, Good Old Yardo was there to represent "the last of the finest."

How you dooin Ray Ray?
I drove into NYC a couple of years ago while visiting my grandmother in middle PA. Not only were the guys at 54/4 warm and approachable, they even offered me a parking pass so I could park at the firehouse as I did the tourist thing around midtown with my wife.
Actually not being a much of a Pierce fan, FDNY is probably smart in sticking with Seagraves for the new Rescues. It proabably helps the mechanical staff in troubleshhoting, repairs and parts inventories to have all chassis fro one manufacturer.
[quote name='KFDI3' post='248174' date='Sep 19 2008, 09:59 ']Actually not being a much of a Pierce fan, FDNY is probably smart in sticking with Seagraves for the new Rescues. It proabably helps the mechanical staff in troubleshhoting, repairs and parts inventories to have all chassis fro one manufacturer.[/quote]

Which is all great until that one manufacturer goes out of business and you are now screwed with your entire fleet! Just the other side of the coin.
[quote name='MemphisE34a' post='248185' date='Sep 19 2008, 11:59 ']Which is all great until that one manufacturer goes out of business and you are now screwed with your entire fleet! Just the other side of the coin.[/quote]

Well hopefully Seagrave remains in business for some time, this problem happened to FDNY when Mack decided to stop making chassis for Fire Departments, hence the switch to Seagrave completely. If Seagrave goes out FDNY would have serious apparatus issues. At one time in the 1980's we had Mack Pumpers, ALF Pumpers, Mack Towers, Seagrave rearmounts, tillers and 2 Mack Bulldog aerials, plus 2 Sutphen Towers and 2 ALF Towers.

Today pretty much all Seagrave in front line except a few Ferrara Pumpers and Rescues.
[quote name='MemphisE34a' post='248185' date='Sep 19 2008, 10:59 ']Which is all great until that one manufacturer goes out of business and you are now screwed with your entire fleet! Just the other side of the coin.[/quote]

The reports of several manufacturers probably going belly up may very well happen. If some folks only want one fire apparatus manufacturer, and from being on this forum over 2 years there are some people out there that think that every new rig should be built by one particular manufacturer or another, my wisom is this:"be careful what you wish for". then we in this country will all have to have standardized designs like thaty do in other cuontries.It used to be called a monoply for any one company to corner the market and used to be covered under anti-trust laws. I hope nothing bad happens to Seagrave either, and I wish them and all my FDNY brotheren well as they continue thier fire service traditions.
[quote name='Crossbronxxpress' post='247999' date='Sep 18 2008, 17:09 ']Thank you. After working in 54 Engine for almost three years, I can say that you described a typical day tour to the T. And the Sept. 11th related questions were spot on. Some of them got even more personal than that. Like asking "How many bodies we saw", and other very morbid stuff that you would NEVER think to ask anyone.[/quote]

What years did you work on 54? If you dont mind me asking.
Reading all this I first of all, never wanna go to an FDNY fire house, not because I think you guys are mean, but because I'd feel guilty(as I am from minnesota which is only slightly better then iowa).

Second, Seagrave getting the rescue bid is news to me, are there any other details?
[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
Willman, I am not FDNY, but knowing them well enough, I am sure that the FDNY guys on here will have my back when I say FDNY firehouses (they are "firehouses...not stations, or halls....) welcome visitors with open arms, most especially brother firefighters. It does not matter where you are from, or if you are career or volunteer, just as long as you are not a hairbag or a mutt.

The problem with 54/4, 10/10 and some other Manhattan firehouses is (referencing my previous post) that SO MANY PEOPLE stop by in the course of ONE DAY......That the members grow quite weary of them. Thats not to say that they purposefully are rude to them, or go out of their way to be rude, but lets face it- What would you and your family do, if you are sitting at the dinner table trying to eat, and a group of tourists from Pigs Knuckle, Iowa asked for you to raise your garage door so thet they could get a picture of themselves standing in front of your car? (not to mention the fact that it's the fourth time it happened that day!!!!

I have told this particular story several times on here, I'll post it again, as I feel it appropriate. Many moons ago, I had to drop off a friend at Newark Airport. Figured I would make a day of buffing out of it, so I brought another buff friend. We dropped off the first friend at the airport, and we continued up I95 and across the GW bridge into the Bronx. We rode around for a while monitoring the scanner, just taking in the sights. As it approached evening, we decided to take up, but first we wanted to drain the radiators and get a soda. We happened to be near the Belmont section of the Bronx. We looked for the closest firehouse on our map, and saw that we were right on top of E88 & L38. I had heard before they were especially friendly to buffs, so it was only natural to want to stop there. So we parked, and knocked on the door. The guy on watch opened the door with a suspicious look on his face, but when we introduced ourselves as buffs from Philly, he immediately opened the door wide, and said "Come on in guys!" with a smile on his face. He introduced himself, shook our hands warmly, and asked what we were up to. We told him we were buffing, and getting ready to head home, but wanted to know if we could hit their bathroom and get a soda from the soda machine. He showed us the head, and when we came out, we walked back up front to the watch area. He then said "Hey, hang out here for a sec, I'll be right back....." he dissappeared, and then came right back- "Hey do you guys wanna stay and eat with us? We're getting ready to sit down here in a few minutes."

So needless to say, you never turn down an offer to break bread in someone's firehouse. We of course, stayed. And 5 minues into the meal, the engine got a run. The Engine officer pushed back his chair. stood up, and looked at us, and said "Well, I have room for one of you guys..." I told my firend to go, as he had never ridden with an FDNY company. So I stayed back with the Truckies. And, three minutes later, they got a run. The Truck officer stood up, and said "C'mon kid! Lets go!"

We had like 4 runs back to back before we returned to the firehouse. It was close to 11 or 12 at night, and as the guys cleaned the kitchen, (which we tried to help with of course, but were politely told "No, you are guests"!) We started saying "Well guys, we guess we'll head out, thanks for the hospitality!" To that, they replied "Wait- Arent you guys gonna stay the night? We have racks for you! Stay! You're more than welcome!"

That was the fall of about 1991 or 1992 or so.....And it began a long lasting friendship with the "Boys from Belmont."

By all means, feel free to visit ANY FDNY Firehouse.....Just avoid the ones in the "mainstream."
[quote name='willman940' post='248292' date='Sep 20 2008, 04:18 ']Reading all this I first of all, never wanna go to an FDNY fire house, not because I think you guys are mean, but because I'd feel guilty(as I am from minnesota which is only slightly better then iowa).

Second, Seagrave getting the rescue bid is news to me, are there any other details?[/quote]

Seagrave has not officially gotten the bid as of yet, but all educated guesses point towards Seagrave getting it.
I hate bugging fire fighters for pictures. In the warmer months I look for doors open, maybe firefighters around the floor. On the occasion I go to the door, I try and get a vibe from the crew before asking too much. If doors are shut in the afternoon hours I take that to be the crew is busy, eating or having a quiet afternoon. I also try to avoid sunday visits. Sunday afternoon NFL, or Saturday night hockey.

I have never buffed FDNY, but I plan on it.
Russell Pascoe

Brampton, Ontario

Canada

[url="http://ottawafirepics.blogspot.com/"]http://ottawafirepics.blogspot.com/[/url]

[url="http://torontofire.blogspot.com/"]http://torontofire.blogspot.com/[/url]

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
I hate bugging fire fighters for pictures. In the warmer months I look for doors open, maybe firefighters around the floor. On the occasion I go to the door, I try and get a vibe from the crew before asking too much. If doors are shut in the afternoon hours I take that to be the crew is busy, eating or having a quiet afternoon. I also try to avoid sunday visits. Sunday afternoon NFL, or Saturday night hockey.

I have never buffed FDNY, but I plan on it.
Russell Pascoe

Brampton, Ontario

Canada

[url="http://ottawafirepics.blogspot.com/"]http://ottawafirepics.blogspot.com/[/url]

[url="http://torontofire.blogspot.com/"]http://torontofire.blogspot.com/[/url]

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS