Freedom VFD Beaver County

1959 Mack c85 750/350

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Some old Pittsburgh Fire Dept Rigs.

Attached Files Image(s)

Pittsburgh Fire Dept.

Attached Files Image(s)

Eureka Fire Rescue Tarentum Pa.

1969 Ford/Pierce Squrt Hosetender one of the origional Demo Units!

Attached Files Image(s)

Monroeville Pa

Engine 42

Monroeville Pa E 42

Thanks for posting these latest pics Wing. I remember those old city Macks & Brockways. And who could forget the 2 ALF Aero Chief's. They weren't around long, but they sure are classics. That 75 Ward LaFrance brings back alot of memories at MVFC #4.

[quote name='Wing1223' post='266573' date='Dec 16 2008, 11:04 ']Monroeville Pa E 42[/quote]
Yes it was. Back then I believe the location was actually Station 3 which also housed Squad 1. The other Aero Chief (EP-2) was quartered at the former Public Safety station on Federal St on the North Side. The station was torn down several years ago. I believe the GMC/ALF was a 78 and there were 2 of them. There were 6 Brockways with Maxim bodys (I think) that were 79's. They were refurbished by Sabre Fire Equipment in the early 90's.

[quote name='mgk110' post='266654' date='Dec 16 2008, 15:38 ']Was the photo of the PGH Aerochief taken at station #4? The GMC sitting behind the Mack engine had an ALF body. The cab and chassis of it is currently sitting in a junkyard in Whitaker, Pa. along with a refurbed Brockway and an ALF 900 ladder, all from PGH.[/quote]
[quote name='194FireGuy' post='266670' date='Dec 16 2008, 17:16 ']Yes it was. Back then I believe the location was actually Station 3 which also housed Squad 1. The other Aero Chief (EP-2) was quartered at the former Public Safety station on Federal St on the North Side. The station was torn down several years ago. I believe the GMC/ALF was a 78 and there were 2 of them. There were 6 Brockways with Maxim bodys (I think) that were 79's. They were refurbished by Sabre Fire Equipment in the early 90's.

BROCKWAY stopped makeing trucks in 77 when MACK closed down the BROCKWAY plant after a strike![/quote]
yes indeed they did close but pittsburgh bought i think it was 5 or 6 surplus brockway cab and chassis.not sure if maxim did the bodies though.
Thanks to the late John Schmidt and his 'We Have a Box Working':

PBF bought 6 1977 Brockway chassis with Maxim bodies (1500/500) in 1978.

Original cos. #6,7,38,39,42,52
Two were later reassigned 15 and 32.

One was repainted and assigned to 35

Two were refurbished by Doerr's Brothers

Doc,

Where did you find the info on the Brockways in John's book? I looked up and down through it and couldn't seem to find it. I have a slides of all of the brockways except for the second refurbished one.
[quote name='Shoop' post='266719' date='Dec 16 2008, 22:11 ']Two were later reassigned 15 and 32.

One was repainted and assigned to 35

Two were refurbished by Doerr's Brothers

Doc,

Where did you find the info on the Brockways in John's book? I looked up and down through it and couldn't seem to find it. I have a slides of all of the brockways except for the second refurbished one.[/quote]

Pat, pg. 124, bottom. Do you have the one in the book that went to E-25? I saw that one a couple times in the mid-90's when I used to go to Steeler's games. (We used RT.51).

IIRC, a little trivia; what well-known 80's movie, set in Pittsburgh, had an appearance by 1 of the Brockway engines?
Warren,

Unfortunately Engine 25 is the one that I don't have. The two that were refurbished had different grills on the front, that is about the only way you can tell them apart. The one I have kept the standard Brockway grill. I would like to get my hands on the Pittsburgh slides that Mr. Schmidt had in his collection, as well as all of the macks! I have been able to obtain some by trading with a friend, but thats about it.

I'm not sure the movie, since I wasn't born until 1987. lol
Here is a contemporary photo of this 'ol gal by a friend of mine. Definately a 1967 Chevy chassis, as evidenced by the small rear cab window (and with a rare Napco four-wheel-drive conversion), but I have no other information on it. I seriously doubt this piece is still around.

Matthew Goldberg photo

[quote name='Old Battery' post='266922' date='Dec 17 2008, 21:34 ']Here is a contemporary photo of this 'ol gal by a friend of mine. Definately a 1967 Chevy chassis, as evidenced by the small rear cab window (and with a rare Napco four-wheel-drive conversion), but I have no other information on it. I seriously doubt this piece is still around.

Matthew Goldberg photo[/quote]

IT actuallly is still in service As Tac 42 for the Community Fire Company of Reiglesville. If i get a chance I will get up there to get a picture of it.
[quote name='Shoop' post='266890' date='Dec 17 2008, 19:11 ']Warren,

Unfortunately Engine 25 is the one that I don't have. The two that were refurbished had different grills on the front, that is about the only way you can tell them apart. The one I have kept the standard Brockway grill. I would like to get my hands on the Pittsburgh slides that Mr. Schmidt had in his collection, as well as all of the macks! I have been able to obtain some by trading with a friend, but thats about it.

I'm not sure the movie, since I wasn't born until 1987. lol[/quote]

Are any of the Brockways left in a junk yard or sold to another dept. I relize their over 30 years old. What great looking rigs
Steve,

Raccoon Twp. is in Beaver County, PA. They still have theirs. I'm not sure on the exact year or pump/tank size without looking at my records.

B95Mackfire,

The Brockways were disposed of a few years ago. There is 1 of the refurbished ones sitting in a junk yard, by Whitaker, PA.

On a side note for the history books. The last two black/gold rigs left in the City of Pittsburgh were headed for Auction back in October. They were both 1984 Duplex/Thibault 100'. Boy I wish the City would wisen up, and go back to those colors.
[quote name='Shoop' post='266944' date='Dec 17 2008, 23:46 ']Boy I wish the City would wisen up, and go back to those colors.[/quote]

i like that they are finaly putting the neighborhoods on the side of the truck.
Forget which thread the Mt Pleasant snorkel was brought up in, but heres a shot of it.

Attached Files Image(s)