Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boston EMS
[quote name='MiltonBradley' post='16131' date='Jul 27 2006, 22:29 ']Next one is the last door from the cab on the drivers side.[/quote]

portable eye wash, and personnel hydration equipment.
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
[quote name='MiltonBradley' post='16135' date='Jul 27 2006, 22:31 ']Lastly is the rear walk in compartment.

Please feel free to add info on the equipment in these pictures, by posting or emailing me.[/quote]

3 M size O2 tanks, 2-wheeler, Wire reels, and no clue whats in the boxes or bags.
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
And I know a bunch of people are going to jump on the fact that BFD has the training and is responsible for Haz-Mat operations, but a little known fact is that every EMT and Paramedic in Boston EMS is trained to Level B protection as Haz-Mat/WMD Technicians at a minimum. It's more so that we can watch to make sure BFD decons our patients appropriately, and that we aren't contaminating ourselves, but we have the means and training to operate independently should multiple scenes present.
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Why the Scott bottles, isn't that what BFD is for?
[quote name='edburke' post='16189' date='Jul 28 2006, 00:58 ']the same 20 boards, foam head blocks on the bottom, cervical immobilization collars on the top right, personal gear of the driver on the right middle, and I have no clue what the black thing on the left is.[/quote]

Ed, I believe that is the telescoping portable ladder...
[quote name='edburke' post='16193' date='Jul 28 2006, 01:02 ']3 M size O2 tanks, 2-wheeler, Wire reels, and no clue whats in the boxes or bags.[/quote]

Not sure about the boxes...the black bag is a portable misting fan that attches to the top of the white water cooler in the previous picture...The white bag is another VTK kit...Bill
[quote name='Lime Guy' post='16206' date='Jul 28 2006, 08:39 ']Why the Scott bottles, isn't that what BFD is for?[/quote]

Again, the SCBA's are for our own members protection when a situation warrants it...
Paramedic 41 in East Boston.

For anyone in the know- is this unit temporarily assigned to East Boston until the end of the Big Dig-related mess like BFD's Engine 40 or is it just in East Boston for a call?

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote name='efin98' post='18746' date='Aug 3 2006, 19:39 ']Paramedic 41 in East Boston.

For anyone in the know- is this unit temporarily assigned to East Boston until the end of the Big Dig-related mess like BFD's Engine 40 or is it just in East Boston for a call?[/quote]

Any BEMS rig with a number over 18, i.e. A31, P40, etc. is an extra staffed vehicle. With the current transportation concerns, P40, P41 or P42 is being staffed and posted in Eastie, but they are available citywide if needed, as are all vehicles.
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
[quote name='edburke' post='18751' date='Aug 3 2006, 19:53 ']Any BEMS rig with a number over 18, i.e. A31, P40, etc. is an extra staffed vehicle. With the current transportation concerns, P40, P41 or P42 is being staffed and posted in Eastie, but they are available citywide if needed, as are all vehicles.[/quote]

Thank you Ed.

Regading the posting- are they quartered alongside A7 at the Prescott St. BEMS station?
[quote name='efin98' post='18888' date='Aug 3 2006, 22:18 ']Thank you Ed.

Regading the posting- are they quartered alongside A7 at the Prescott St. BEMS station?[/quote]

I believe that A32 shifts out of Eastie with A7, and P40, 41, or whatever they are calling it that day shifts from Shirley St. and gets their narcs at supply then heads over to Eastie. As far as actual posting, I think they are supposed to be a roaming unit.
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
[quote name='edburke' post='19019' date='Aug 4 2006, 03:28 ']I believe that A32 shifts out of Eastie with A7, and P40, 41, or whatever they are calling it that day shifts from Shirley St. and gets their narcs at supply then heads over to Eastie. As far as actual posting, I think they are supposed to be a roaming unit.[/quote]

Once again, thank you Ed.

A32 is activated temporarily as well? Wow. I guess the city is not taking any chances at all.
Ambulance 31, a 2003 GMC/Braun.

Attached Files Image(s)

Mr. Burke, Overall how are the 4500's holding up? I had heard there were some air ride issues at first any truth? Thanks for sharing the pics and info. Had the pleasure years ago to "nose" around one of the units back when they were coming out of Winter Park FL.
[quote name='poc' post='22779' date='Aug 14 2006, 06:25 ']Mr. Burke, Overall how are the 4500's holding up? I had heard there were some air ride issues at first any truth? Thanks for sharing the pics and info. Had the pleasure years ago to "nose" around one of the units back when they were coming out of Winter Park FL.[/quote]

Once they replaced the air ride with leaf springs the ride got considerably better. By no means does that mean that the vehicles ride like a dream. They are still trucks, and handle like trucks as far as patient comfort is concerned. I've been thrown around in the back of vans, mini-mods, Type I's and medium duty ambulances, and there's really nothing you can do about it-it's the same across the board. The vehicle is designed for emergency care and transport to the closest medical facility, and that's what I tell patients when they complain about the quality of the ride while going to a hospital on the opposite side of the city at 3AM because "that's where my doctor is".

If I had to be forced into an opinion right now, I'd have to say the 4500's are the most durable rig that I've worked in. The vehicle that we just turned in was a 2003, had 60,000 miles on it and was running as well as the day she was new. We could have gotten at least 2-3 more years of frontline service out of her in my district, but we'll take the newer vehicle, and let that one live the rest of her BEMS career as a spare.
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Thank you very much for the reply. I do sales on the side and still work in the EMS field so I totally agree with the ride thing. Just wish I could get the powers that be to even consider a C4500(as you might can tell I am a bit of a Chevy fan). Once again thanks for sharing you knowledge and pics, Neal Craig,NREMTP
[quote name='edburke' post='22781' date='Aug 14 2006, 07:23 ']If I had to be forced into an opinion right now, I'd have to say the 4500's are the most durable rig that I've worked in. The vehicle that we just turned in was a 2003, had 60,000 miles on it and was running as well as the day she was new. We could have gotten at least 2-3 more years of frontline service out of her in my district, but we'll take the newer vehicle, and let that one live the rest of her BEMS career as a spare.[/quote]

Wow! 60,000 miles and already a reserve. Around here that would be considered "broken in".
[quote name='NJMedic' post='22866' date='Aug 14 2006, 14:51 ']Wow! 60,000 miles and already a reserve. Around here that would be considered "broken in".[/quote]

Only 60K for miles, but it was more than double the next highest vehicle in engine hours. We moved into our new station last August...for the two years prior to that, the rig sat outside the police station we were based at and idled from mid September through late April, so mileage alone doesn't indicate the wear on the engine.
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Paramedic 2 A 2005? GMC/Braun.

Attached Files Image(s)

Station 1, Located on Purchase Street, Downtown.

A1 and P1 are stationed here. Mr Burke is it true that A8 is also stationed here. Someone had said they were but i was also told they were out on the Glynn Way in the BFD HQ Complex.

Attached Files Image(s)