Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minnesota Apparatus
[quote name='photobuff6162' post='286678' date='Mar 3 2009, 16:24 ']If you get confused by these next couple pictures, join the club. These are two different rigs on opposite ends of town.

Minneapolis Quint-2 2004 Commander/Rosenbauer General 2000/500/100'

This was assigned to station 2 in 2008 and formerly served as Quint 20. The two companies switched rigs, so that the NE part of the city, where Station 2 is located would have an additional aerial device. This was necessary, due to a bridge over the Mississippi being closed. The bridge was the main route for L-10 into the area.[/quote]

John,

I heard rumor that MFD was returning the Ladders and Quints were being phased out? What type of Ladder is returning pump or no pump? I noticed one of the 104ft Sutphen no pump Sticks forsale last year. Also why did MFD starting buying the EQ2b and with the new Chief do you think they will return to Real Q sirens. Great Photos these rigs look sharp.

Stay Safe, Rick
Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri
Engine 15 is a bit different, as it is also set up for response to the Downtown St. Paul Airport. It is equipped with the remote controlled bumper monitor, a separate Foam Pro system for the Class A & B systems.

E-15 2008 Spartan Metrostar/Custom Fire 1250/750/15/60
Now john idk if u know the answer to this but i am curious the monitor on the bumper of E15 is that controlled the same as a regular moniter or is that controlled in the cab with a joystick like most of the monitors mounted on bumpers. thanks
Rick: Minneapolis just canceled the process for a new TDA, due to lack of funds. With the budgets in both cities being in trouble, I doubt if we will see new trucks anytime soon. I did not know about one of the Sutphen aerials being for sale. The department probably can not afford to get rid of anything, as the spare fleet is not in good shape. The Quint concept was brought about by a Chief, who still is in the City Management structure. As every quint sales job goes, there were claims made that did not pan out. They will be around for a while, I suspect. I can't answer about the Q situation in Minneapolis.

In St. Paul, Q sirens were taken off the rigs by a Chief, who's name escapes me, because of the perceived noise issue. The story goes, that they were all put on a pallet and sold to a collector, for a song. With the 2 Squads in 2002, the department started putting E-Q's on the rigs. There is a new Chief in St. Paul, and I am pretty sure that the A shift Captain on Engine 8 is busting the Chief's chops about getting real Q's put on the new rigs.

Rest assured, if something happens we will photograph it.
Grubber, the bumper monitor is controlled by a joystick in the cab, and the main monitor is radio controlled by a controller that is in the compartment by the pump panel.
For R1SmokeEater This is the only shot that I have. To the right of the picture are the crew seats. The cab extension is about 24" and in my huble opinion really opens up the crew cab, which was something that the crews were complaining about with the 2006 models.
Here are a couple more pictures, showing the hose bed and just below a pull out shelf.
Last one for tonight shows the RIT compartment built into the rear compartment.

Also on the previous picture, the ladders are stored behind the vinyl cover.
[quote name='photobuff6162' post='286845' date='Mar 3 2009, 20:54 ']Last one for tonight shows the RIT compartment built into the rear compartment.

Also on the previous picture, the ladders are stored behind the vinyl cover.[/quote]

Thanks John, I did wonder about St. Paul and the Q's also because all the old rigs had them. This is a great idea for RIT storage, fantastic photo.

Stay Safe, Rick
Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri
[quote name='MFD 61 KS' post='286856' date='Mar 3 2009, 21:13 ']Thanks John, I did wonder about St. Paul and the Q's also because all the old rigs had them. This is a great idea for RIT storage, fantastic photo.

Stay Safe, Rick[/quote]

I believe the Q-hating St. Paul Chief was Fuller, although in Fuller's defense, the Q's probably hurt little Mayor Schiebel's little timid mouse ears and he squeaked until someone capitulated. And, the Q-hating, Quint-loving failure of a Minneapolis Chief was Clay Aiken. I mean, Prince Charles. Oh yeah, Bleskachek...that's her name.
Chief Forte came up with the plan in Minneapolis. Former Chief Blescachek(sp) was left to implement it.
[quote name='usonian' post='286883' date='Mar 3 2009, 23:31 ']I believe the Q-hating St. Paul Chief was Fuller, although in Fuller's defense, the Q's probably hurt little Mayor Schiebel's little timid mouse ears and he squeaked until someone capitulated. And, the Q-hating, Quint-loving failure of a Minneapolis Chief was Clay Aiken. I mean, Prince Charles. Oh yeah, Bleskachek...that's her name.[/quote]

Former Chief Fuller is the Chief in Redmond, Washington now (home of Microsoft) and has been for a few years. The department's newer Pierce deliveries have the electronic Q's as well.
[quote name='photobuff6162' post='286282' date='Mar 2 2009, 19:13 ']Burnsville E-22 1980 Pete/General 1500/750

There used to be two of these, but I always seem to get the same one in front of my camera. I don't know if the other one is still in the fleet.[/quote]

Ok, aside from the lights, this rig looks exactly like the prototype that Revell Of Germany used to create a 1/24 scale model. I have one in my collection waiting to be built.
That's because it is the truck that model was modeled after.
[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
[quote name='photobuff6162' post='286885' date='Mar 3 2009, 22:41 ']Chief Forte came up with the plan in Minneapolis. Former Chief Blescachek(sp) was left to implement it.[/quote]

Chief Blescachek (sp) had her problems, coming up with the quint plan originally was not one of them, John is correct.

It is nice to see life in the Minnesota thread again......
Dave McClung

Arden Hills, Minnesota but....

my heart is also back in Northern VA, especially Alexandria.

All pictures are taken by me and subject to copyright.

No picture taken by me may be copied or linked without my

express permission.
[quote name='photobuff6162' post='286843' date='Mar 3 2009, 21:46 ']For R1SmokeEater This is the only shot that I have. To the right of the picture are the crew seats. The cab extension is about 24" and in my huble opinion really opens up the crew cab, which was something that the crews were complaining about with the 2006 models.[/quote]

Thanx Very Much !!
[quote name='R1SmokeEater' post='286829' date='Mar 3 2009, 20:19 ']John- GREAT shots & awesome thread !! Do u have a shot of the new over the preconnect seat compartment on Saint Pauls new pumpers ? Curious to see.......[/quote]

R1SmokeEater: I have a few pictures of the "MetroFlex' seating from Custom Fire's demonstrator. We here in Green Bay have 2 of these on order with the St.Paul specs. Only ours will have top mounted panels. The Green Bay cabs will only have the forward facing seats just like St.Paul as ours will also have the EMS compartments mid cab.
Custom Fire MetroFlex

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
[quote name='GB1Engine' post='286957' date='Mar 4 2009, 12:19 ']Custom Fire MetroFlex

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND][/quote]

GB1, Thanx very much !! Looks pretty cool & seems to make sense !!
Those FF's in the last couple pictures look a little stiff......