Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
F.D.N.Y.
[quote name='Mac8146' date='Mar 10 2009, 11:55 ' post='288478']

Here is a shot of Engine Co. 81 a new Seagrave Marader II 2000GPM Pumper now in service

Mac- What do you think of it so far ??
Well so far so good, has a much better Engine than our old rig, more power and pick up, the members do like the open interior larger crew cab. Time will tell on how it handles the rough Bronx streets especially after this cold snowy winter ate the roads.
[quote name='Mac8146' post='288589' date='Mar 10 2009, 22:44 ']Well so far so good, has a much better Engine than our old rig, more power and pick up, the members do like the open interior larger crew cab. Time will tell on how it handles the rough Bronx streets especially after this cold snowy winter ate the roads.[/quote]

I drove E-39's at Educational Day. Little wider, lot more pickup than the 03 we have. Kind of a smart move with the spray on bed liner throughout the cab.

Like ya said, Brother. Time will tell.

Stay safe, Brothers.
Kill 'em all, let Allah sort 'em out. NEVER forget 9/11/01 WTC, Pentagon, Pa. Avenge the acts with NO mercy.

Thanks to ALL the Brothers who were there 9/11/01 and afterwards. Words can never say what appreciation we have for you all.
Mac & Smketr, Thanx !

I was wondering, is there more electronics on the pump panel than previously ?
[quote name='R1SmokeEater' post='288630' date='Mar 11 2009, 10:10 ']Mac & Smketr, Thanx !

I was wondering, is there more electronics on the pump panel than previously ?[/quote]

Not certain of the model, for I didn't get a chance to pump it. It may be a FRC InControl J1939 with a few bells and whistles like LED's for oil, temp, etc.

Now all intakes on both sides are gated, save for the "Suction only" intake on the Officer's side. We are getting 2 in my Battalion, Engine 206 and Engine 238. 238 has not received theirs yet, but should in the near future.

As for Mr. 'Mack' Martinelli, when you get to Greenpoint, let me know. Set it up on my workday, and we'll throw you in on the meal.

Stay safe, Brothers.
Kill 'em all, let Allah sort 'em out. NEVER forget 9/11/01 WTC, Pentagon, Pa. Avenge the acts with NO mercy.

Thanks to ALL the Brothers who were there 9/11/01 and afterwards. Words can never say what appreciation we have for you all.
[quote name='smketrfdny' post='288652' date='Mar 11 2009, 13:14 ']Not certain of the model, for I didn't get a chance to pump it. It may be a FRC InControl J1939 with a few bells and whistles like LED's for oil, temp, etc.

Now all intakes on both sides are gated, save for the "Suction only" intake on the Officer's side. We are getting 2 in my Battalion, Engine 206 and Engine 238. 238 has not received theirs yet, but should in the near future.

As for Mr. 'Mack' Martinelli, when you get to Greenpoint, let me know. Set it up on my workday, and we'll throw you in on the meal.

Stay safe, Brothers.[/quote]

[Image: tga400-lg.gif]

[Image: tga300-lg.gif]

Its either the FRC In Control 300 or the In Control 400....both are identical except the 300 uses push buttons to control the throttle whereas the 400 uses a SWEET !!! electronic vernier type control. Both are connected to the engine brain via a J1939 datalink.
Thanx on that !! I'm not sure I like/agree with all the electronics on all the new rigs (FDNY YFD's or who ever), as if they fail at the wrong time (and will fail evenually)- u have a big problem !! I remember when I was assigned to the Engine years back, we received a new Smeal pumper to replace our Mack. The Mack road-to-pump lever was mechanical, and the Smeal was electronic. I asked the Smeal salesman, what do I do when it won't go into pump- he told me it will. I asked again- what do I do WHEN it don't- again he said, it will. The final time I asked WHEN it don't WHAT do I do ?? He then told me about a mechanical override to push IF the electronic X-fer switch failed (it did)
[quote name='R1SmokeEater' post='288820' date='Mar 11 2009, 20:59 ']Thanx on that !! I'm not sure I like/agree with all the electronics on all the new rigs (FDNY YFD's or who ever), as if they fail at the wrong time (and will fail evenually)- u have a big problem !! I remember when I was assigned to the Engine years back, we received a new Smeal pumper to replace our Mack. The Mack road-to-pump lever was mechanical, and the Smeal was electronic. I asked the Smeal salesman, what do I do when it won't go into pump- he told me it will. I asked again- what do I do WHEN it don't- again he said, it will. The final time I asked WHEN it don't WHAT do I do ?? He then told me about a mechanical override to push IF the electronic X-fer switch failed (it did)[/quote]

Thats great! We have nothing but problems with our trucks and its all electrical!
I will get a close up picture of pump panel when I go to work, the Pro Pressure Governor has a few bells and whistles added but it is still basically the same as the ones in service on older rigs. The gates for discharges have electronic gauge which shows how far gate is opened, in lieu of rod that came out on old rig. As for intakes all intakes are gated except the draft only intake which is also 6" in size, in picture you can see the 3 soft suctions available to use for drafting. The bottom soft suction is the FDNY standard 10 foot hydrant connection that has been enlarged in diameter due to larger pump on these new rigs. Hope that helps any more questions please post and i will try to answer.
We have them on the latest Ferrara pumpers in Houston. My daily driver is a '07 and the new digital set-up with no traditional master gauges takes some getting accustom to. So far so good though.

As long as you don't lose it your OK. Everything pump related is there and if you lose the module your done. But that what you get when you build fire trucks that can't get wet.

Good luck to FDNY with them.
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

www.staffordfirerescue.org

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com
[quote name='R1SmokeEater' post='288820' date='Mar 11 2009, 20:59 ']Thanx on that !! I'm not sure I like/agree with all the electronics on all the new rigs (FDNY YFD's or who ever), as if they fail at the wrong time (and will fail evenually)- u have a big problem !! I remember when I was assigned to the Engine years back, we received a new Smeal pumper to replace our Mack. The Mack road-to-pump lever was mechanical, and the Smeal was electronic. I asked the Smeal salesman, what do I do when it won't go into pump- he told me it will. I asked again- what do I do WHEN it don't- again he said, it will. The final time I asked WHEN it don't WHAT do I do ?? He then told me about a mechanical override to push IF the electronic X-fer switch failed (it did)[/quote]

Amen,Brother. I like the old "Kiss" principle myself. Like the blackout of 2004, we rely TOO much on electronics. Give me a Ross relief valve, a Waterous or Hale manual valve anyday.

8146, forgot about the lights to indicate the discharge status. Thanks for the backup.

JMO.

Stay safe, Brothers.

Some Manufactures still offer (some as an option) a manual road to pump transfer and backup. Pierce has a air operated shift but it is backed up with a manual override. That just gets the pump in gear...producing pressure is step 2. The problem with the modern engine governors is if they fail you can't produce pressure....On the old rigs...in a pinch...if the vernier throttle broke in your hand....you sent a guy to the cab and had him step on the accelerator slowly and raise the engine RPMS as you watched the pump panel....then you told jim to hold the engine speed at Lets say 1350 RPMs which in turn maybe was getting you 140 psi on the panel. Now there is NO backup....electronics fail.....no pressure.....The governors are very reliable.....but they have failed on occaision and will fail.....I don't want to be going down the hallway taking a beating when the water stops coming. NFPA mandates all kinds of regulations and door ajar lights and you can't move the truck lights, and buzzers etc. Why don't they mandate a manual backup for overriding the engine governor in case of failure....
Capttomo the reason NFPA doesn't mandate back-up governor systems or other ones which also matter to the troops in the hallway getting their heads kicked in is because, in my opinion, NFPA has lost a portion of its objectivity. Way too much manufacturer influence by people not doing the job telling us who are what we need. And lets face it, they are gonna do whats in their best interest (e.g. profit margins) before all else.

Just my opinion.
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

www.staffordfirerescue.org

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com
Larry, the only problem with that thinking is that the manufacturers would rather build simple over complex, and electronics knock the crap out of them in warranty and service repairs. And since almost all of the manufacturers use controllers built by outside vendors, its not like they are adding extra profit from the extra electronics. All of the engines are now electronically controlled and you need to interface with electronic controls to get RPM's for pumping or aerial high idle.

Believe me, the high cost of current fire apparatus has not translated into super profits for any manufacturer. In the past 90 days there have been news stories about financial issues at Pierce, E\-One, ALF just to name a few. Look at recent stories about Cat and Detroit Diesel cutting back or scaling down sales to the fire service. these guys aren't cutting us off because they make too much from us. There is a reason there are less than 10 major builders today, versus 20-30 25 years ago.

You are correct about NFPA mandated "stuff", but much of that is driven by fire service insistence on safety interlocks and other concerns that come from the various standard committees. The manufacturers all complain that the standards are written by one of their competitors against them....so none of them are happy either.

In the end, the current generations of electronically controlled engines, pumps and aerial devices will be a nightmare just a few short years down the road when the components get salt and dirt and 5-10 years of shaking and rattling on them.
[quote name='Ladder 68' post='288973' date='Mar 12 2009, 18:22 ']Capttomo the reason NFPA doesn't mandate back-up governor systems or other ones which also matter to the troops in the hallway getting their heads kicked in is because, in my opinion, NFPA has lost a portion of its objectivity. Way too much manufacturer influence by people not doing the job telling us who are what we need. And lets face it, they are gonna do whats in their best interest (e.g. profit margins) before all else.

Just my opinion.[/quote]

Amen Brother...I couldn't have said it better myself
Not fdny units but i wont start a new thread Metro fire assoc tower ladder 1

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Metro fire assoc Engine 1

Richmond engine 1 all 3 units were staging in midtown for a movie shoot

and last one a newer Haztac unit?

I saw some new MARC boats quartered with the BFU Units on Staten Island. Can anyone shed more light about the the MARC Boats?
People complaining about spam in the spam mail box... Huh, what'll they think of next?