[size="5"]City of Reading, PA Rescue 1. 1957

Approved Rescue Truck

Re-Chass'd with GMC After Accident 1962

Currently in junkyard, Lancaster County PA. [/size]

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Wow...

Was that once located at the Friendship Fire Company? I lived in Reading until I was about 10 years old remember my parents taking me to a large fire on Center Avenue when I was about 8-9 years old and remember a rescue there with floodlights up on the roof...would that be one and the same rig? Was there also a rescue stationed with the Rainbow Fire Company at 8th and Court? I remember going past the firehouse on our way home from church on Sundays.

Thanks.
[size="5"]City of Reading, PA Ladder 3

1948 Pirsch Tractor - 1939 Pirsch Trailer

Currently in junkyard Lancaster County, PA[/size]

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Yes, this was the Friendship Fire Companies Rescue Truck, It had 2 roof hatches which could be opened and flood lights elevated.

When the city vacated the Reading Hose & Friendship Stations, the Rescue was housed at 8th & Court till their new combined quarters were complete.
[quote name='readingpafire' date='07 March 2010 - 10:08 PM' timestamp='1268016487' post='368612']

[size="5"]City of Reading, PA Rescue 1. 1957

Approved Rescue Truck

Re-Chass'd with GMC After Accident 1962

Currently in junkyard, Lancaster County PA. [/size]

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=50762]

[/quote]

Jason,

Below is from Al Powell's files. So you are saying the accident happened in 1962 ? Was it a 1962 chassis ?

Many thanks,

Bruce

1956 GMC/Approved, custom enclosed walk-through rescue body, conv.cab contoured into body, “Senior” model with roof hatch for elevating floodlights-stretchers-crew seats in body, interior and exterior compartments, Roto-Rays at driver’s cowl, in e60s involved in collision at city intersection while transporting patient to the hospital-patient died, wrecked chassis replaced with new GMC-body repaired and re-mounted-Approved bankrupt in 1961-rebuild by ?, while in service on 2-2-67 at general alarm fire at Boscov’s dept.store at 9th and Pike Sts-motor caught fire-extinguished by on-scene crews, in 1976 stationed at Rainbow station with 1963 Diamond-T/Hahn, in 1977 replaced and junked, in 11-02 remains seen in junkyard off of Rt 272 in the vicinity of Reamstown (Lancaster Co,).PA
Bruce W. Anderson

Historian

Southeastern PA Region
Bruce, got your message just have been very busy. The caption was a little misleading. I have a photo of the rig marked 1962 after the Re-Chassis.

My info is very similar. built by the Approved Fire Equipment Company of Long Island, NY. The cost was $27,266. Still trying to pinpoint a date on the accident.
Bruce, got your message just have been very busy. The caption was a little misleading. I have a photo of the rig marked 1962 after the Re-Chassis.

My info is very similar. built by the Approved Fire Equipment Company of Long Island, NY. The cost was $27,266. Still trying to pinpoint a date on the accident.
Some of the very fire trucks that stoked my life long affection for fire apparatus and inspiration to be a firefighter. Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't that Pirsch aerial quartered with the Marion Engine Company at 9th and Marion streets? First due to Albright College? I do remember the Boscov's fire at 9th and Pike having lived the first 10 years of my life in Hampden Heights. Be safe all, I know you all see a lot of work there.
Ladder 3 is quartered at 9th and Marion streets. The Marion engine 10 was placed out of service, and Hampden Engine 9 was moved in after the city closed their station.
[quote name='readingpafire' date='10 March 2010 - 01:39 PM' timestamp='1268245151' post='369237']

Ladder 3 is quartered at 9th and Marion streets. The Marion engine 10 was placed out of service, and Hampden Engine 9 was moved in after the city closed their station.

[/quote]

Jason,

This is what Al Powell had on that ladder.

Bruce

1948 Pirsch custom conv.open-cab tractor, 85 ft aluminum tillered aerial ladder, placed in service 9-1-48, purchased through Reading Fire Equipt.Co.-308 Court St-Reading,PA-Peter Pirsch dealer, R.F.D.lettered on hood, double bar chrome bumper, windshield before tiller seat, painted double pane windshield frame, in 1950s responded to Fleetwood to assist at fire in multi-story Orioles Home building-was nearest aerial, in l50s responded to Temple to assist at fire in multi-story Temple Hotel-was nearest aerial, in 11-02 remains seen in junkyard in vicinity of Reamstown (Lancaster Co.),PA off Rt 272-entire truck intact-tractor-trailer-main, ser.no.1740, model 38, first Pirsch aerial ladder purchased by city
Bruce W. Anderson

Historian

Southeastern PA Region
Bruce mostly correct, however the Tractor is only original Ladder 3. The trailer shown in the junkyard belongs to the Washington Ladder 2. That trailer was a 1939 Pirsch 100' Ladder. If you notice in the photo the ladder shown is 100'.

Ladder 2's aerial was destroyed during a water rescue attempt in Dauberville. The aerial had to be cut off to get the truck back to Reading, that's why the photo only shows the bed section of the ladder. The city replaced Ladder 3's tractor with Ladder 2's, then mated the onld L3 tractor with the damaged aerial and sold the whole unit.
Here are 2 relics I found this weekend, the first is a GMC Squad that formerly served with the Meridian, Pa Fire Department.. it was in for some spring work and caught fire. Here is what is left of it, I found it sitting on Route 49 between Ulyssis and Harrison Valley, Pa.

[Image: 004Meridian.jpg]

The second is this American LaFrance Snorkel that I found sitting in Cassanville, Pa between English Cousel and Waterville... it is marked for a tree surgeon. There was a pitbull/boxer looking dog that was not liking me taking pictures.. I can't imagine what would have happened if I would have gotten close to his truck!!

[Image: Relic1.jpg]

Any idea on this guy??

Dave Fritz
Dave, great shots man.

I will probaly be wrong on this but I think the Meridian squad was bought by Intercourse PA. I remember they bought one and it caught fire in the shop behind their firehouse. It was never fixed and they bought the current squad they have now.

Nice seeing you posting again.

Dennis Groff