Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
This & That from Here & There
Dave,

There were quite a few WLF Pumper/Tanker's from PA that went south. There were actually I believe 5 in Mercer county within 10 miles of each other. What color? and Did it look refurbed with a square light on the front below the windshield? There is a guy on here from Stoneboro that I can imagine would be pretty interested in seeing it, if it is.
[quote name='GA_Dave' date='30 December 2009 - 09:13 PM' timestamp='1262224394' post='355143']

They have also purchased this used KME aerial.

Ladder 6, Walker County, GA

1996 KME Firefox

1750/400/75'

GSO-2338

x-Locust, NC

[/quote]

Locust,NC (merged with another FD and is now known as West Stanly) replaced this truck with a Sutphen 100' tower. The Assistant Chief of West Stanly is a Sutphen dealer and I think they got 2 Sutphen engines as well when the tower came in.
Micah Bodford
Fire Investigator
City of Winston-Salem Fire Dept.
Quote:There were quite a few WLF Pumper/Tanker's from PA that went south. There were actually I believe 5 in Mercer county within 10 miles of each other. What color? and Did it look refurbed with a square light on the front below the windshield? There is a guy on here from Stoneboro that I can imagine would be pretty interested in seeing it, if it is.
According to the Firetec website, it came from Clark, PA. There's a shot of it on Clark's website, and it does have a big rectangle strobe on the cab face. I PM'd the guy from Stoneboro and he confirmed that their rig went to Clark. I wasn't able to get any photos this time, but I have a contact for another trip up there.
Quote:Locust,NC (merged with another FD and is now known as West Stanly) replaced this truck with a Sutphen 100' tower.

This was one of the rigs we shot at the Seagrave shop in Lesslie, SC the day we did the York County trip.
Dave,

Glad to here that the WLF tandems are still around in a second life. Stoneboro had two of them. They sold the one to Clark, which was repainted Red/White. The other was sold recently, and was Lime Green/White.
[quote name='GA_Dave' date='01 November 2009 - 11:59 AM' timestamp='1257093550' post='345531']

Pumper 12, Meriwether Co., GA (Warm Springs)

2003 Freightliner M2/E-One

1250/1000/25F

[/quote]

Dave, did you get a ride on this one? I did one night going on a fuel run to Manchester while I was attending a Warm Springs meeting. Meriwether County purchased a number of identical units for the various fire stations in the county at the same time. I believe they were a new design from E\-One as this one was featured in a promotion by the Ocala firm with shots taken at the Franklin D Roosevelt Airport in Warm Springs.
Rich Dean, Butler, New Jersey, USA

Member of Kinney Hose Co. 1, Butler Fire Dept. since 1973, Fire Police Officer since 2000

Dispatcher at Butler Police Communications from March 1975 to July 2009

Secretary of North Jersey Volunteer Firemen's Association since 1980

Member of Tri-Boro First Aid Squad (volunteer ems) since 2000 as a driver

Member of many Yahoogroups, owner of some such as:

[post="0"]FirematicEvents Yahoogroup[/post]the place to for listing and discussion of any event by a public safety organization.

[post="0"]RailfanEvents Yahoogroup[/post]

[post="0"]Railpics Yahoogroup[/post]
Quote:Dave, did you get a ride on this one? I did one night going on a fuel run to Manchester while I was attending a Warm Springs meeting. Meriwether County purchased a number of identical units for the various fire stations in the county at the same time. I believe they were a new design from E-One as this one was featured in a promotion by the Ocala firm with shots taken at the Franklin D Roosevelt Airport in Warm Springs.

Nope, no rides. I don't believe that there's anything special about the truck, I've seen many others like it. I would think that the promotion was more about where it was delivered to, not the truck itself.

I looked at Warm Springs' ladder truck. It's really in sad shape and should be replaced.
[quote name='GA_Dave' date='02 January 2010 - 01:05 PM' timestamp='1262454304' post='355770']

Nope, no rides. I don't believe that there's anything special about the truck, I've seen many others like it. I would think that the promotion was more about where it was delivered to, not the truck itself.

I looked at Warm Springs' ladder truck. It's really in sad shape and should be replaced.

[/quote]

True that there's nothing special about it except that I believe it was the first brand new apparatus they ever had. One of my best friends, an exempt and former longtime captain of my company in Butler NJ semi retired to that area 20 years ago, so became active in 3 volunteer stations that were barely operating.

About 1998, I had the chance to attend a meeting of Warm Springs FD, something that had to be conducted in the parking lot tailgate style because there was no room inside the old combination town hall/police station/firehouse. They acqquired the 1972 ALF open cab 85 footer from Pompton Lakes NJ, one of my neighboring FD's, basically for ISO reasons as the closest aerial of any kind then was the City of Columbus about 30 miles south. The next meeting I attended was just after that E One had been delivered. It's not a wealthy region with much of what the FD's in that area achieved was largely thanks to funding from higher level government sources. BTW, Warm Springs got the aerial for only a couple thousand dollars including certain surplus equipment that came with it.

Something about that meeting in Warm Springs' present firehouse, a very nice building. Thanks to help from local stores, we were able to sit on comfy living room and dining room furniture. At the end of business, a conversation developed with guys talking about the biggest fires they had been to. My friend said "Richie tell them about our biggest" so I proceeded to describe the one when I was just about 5 years old in 1957 that destroyed what was then the world's largest rubber reclaiming (recycling) plant measuring 800 feet by 400 feet by up to 5 stories mill construction of heavy timber and brick constructed between 1900 and 1935. That blaze was the largest fire insurance loss in North America for that year with response by 55 fire departments on the first night and day then in shifts for the following week with another 45 or so fire departments providing back up. It was covered by 5 minutes of the 15 minute NY City nightly tv news and got mention on the 15 minute national nightly tv news by all 3 networks.

An older man just sat there and smiled as I described that fire. When I finished he said "Rich, believe it or not I was involved in that fire for 3 days but only got to see the glow in the sky that first night and the smoke for the other days." I asked what he meant and he pointed to the aerial still lettered for Pompton Lakes. Seems he had been a member of the Wyckoff FD of Bergen County NJ which provided coverage for Pompton Lakes while they were at the fire.
Rich Dean, Butler, New Jersey, USA

Member of Kinney Hose Co. 1, Butler Fire Dept. since 1973, Fire Police Officer since 2000

Dispatcher at Butler Police Communications from March 1975 to July 2009

Secretary of North Jersey Volunteer Firemen's Association since 1980

Member of Tri-Boro First Aid Squad (volunteer ems) since 2000 as a driver

Member of many Yahoogroups, owner of some such as:

[post="0"]FirematicEvents Yahoogroup[/post]the place to for listing and discussion of any event by a public safety organization.

[post="0"]RailfanEvents Yahoogroup[/post]

[post="0"]Railpics Yahoogroup[/post]
[quote name='Shoop' date='31 December 2009 - 12:53 PM' timestamp='1262280809' post='355236']

Dave,

Glad to here that the WLF tandems are still around in a second life. Stoneboro had two of them. They sold the one to Clark, which was repainted Red/White. The other was sold recently, and was Lime Green/White.

[/quote]

stoneboro tanker 79 wlf went to Pierce county ga last yr.

stoneboro engine 74 wlf went to clark fire in mercer county & i dont know where it went once it was it was re painted red.

also hempfield twp had a wlf dont know where that went to.
Nick,

Transfer also had a WLF Pumper/Tanker.
[quote name='GA_Dave' date='12 May 2009 - 08:18 PM' timestamp='1242176339' post='304709']

Tower 6805, Lakewood, NJ

2009 Pierce Velocity

2000/300/100'

[/quote]

anyone know what the trade name for those funky off the top off the roof mirrors are from Pierce,i have also seen a couple of copy cats of them also. thanks. JIMMY/FIREBOX 73 ESSEX,MD
UNTIL THE NEXT BOX ALARM.
[quote name='FIREBOX73' date='06 January 2010 - 01:00 PM' timestamp='1262799656' post='356772']

anyone know what the trade name for those funky off the top off the roof mirrors are from Pierce,i have also seen a couple of copy cats of them also. thanks. JIMMY/FIREBOX 73 ESSEX,MD

[/quote]

Pierce calls them the "One Eleven" mirrors, so called for the FMVSS 111 standard on mirrors.
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Here are a few more from my recent travels.

Aerial 34, Macon-Bibb County FD, Macon, GA

2009 Pierce Arrow XT

2000/500/25F/105'

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quint 52, McDonough, GA

Rosenbauer Commander AT (Spartanbauer)

1500/500/85' RK

#13484/721609

Ladder 1, Florida State Fire College, Ocala, FL

1987 E\-One Hurricane

1250/300/110'

x-Sarasota County, FL

Engine 311, Florida State Fire College, Ocala, FL

1992 Pierce Lance

1500/500

#E-6738

x-Sarasota County, FL

Engine 313, Florida State Fire College, Ocala, FL

1989 Ford C-8000/E-One

1000/500

Quote:What are the screens for that flank the siren speaker?

As I recall, they are strainers for the hard suctions.
[quote name='GA_Dave' date='28 February 2010 - 11:15 AM' timestamp='1267372521' post='366846']

Aerial 34, Macon-Bibb County FD, Macon, GA

2009 Pierce Arrow XT

2000/500/25F/105'

[/quote]

Nice Aerial indeed. I was hunting this piece this past week, but the crew told me it was out on training. I did luck up and catch x-Aerial 34 (110' E\-One) running as a reserve @ Station 8. First time I've ever seen that piece and was able to shoot it. Great shots!
Drew James
GA Paramedic
Recently spent a little time in Sarasota, FL area and got a few pics. I have no info on any of them. Please someone help for my files. First up from Sarasota (County) is Trk 5 - obviously an E\-One Cyclone II 75' quint.