Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Keystone State Relics
tom bretz a ffII,retired disabled ff/emt from Kingston PA F D,own 2 wardlafranceengs a 49,a66,member of iaff 840,six cnty fire asso,pa state firemen's assoc, pa pump primers,schuylkill historic fire soc(spaamfaa's newest chapter--black diamond),luzerne cnty fire/rescue,life mem of columbian fire co kingston,former app op at laflin,edwrdsvlle,forty fort all in pa
Bruce W. Anderson

Historian

Southeastern PA Region
Bruce W. Anderson

Historian

Southeastern PA Region
Bruce W. Anderson

Historian

Southeastern PA Region
Bruce W. Anderson

Historian

Southeastern PA Region
Bruce W. Anderson

Historian

Southeastern PA Region
Bruce W. Anderson

Historian

Southeastern PA Region
These two Patriots must have been "prototypes of the prototypes"! Neither of these was ever delivered to the Air Force, nor shown to them "officially". I'd really love to see the serial/production numbers on these two. The true Air Force prototypes, called First Test Article vehicles, were given registration numbers 78L481 and 78L482. As most of you know, I own 78L481, and 78L482 went to Hanscom AFB, MA. It was posted recently in another thread.

There are several differences between these two rigs and the ones that went to the Air Force. The Linfield rig resembles the structural pumper version, A/S-32P-12D, but the Air Force rigs had an open booster reel and a 600 gallon tank. The 1000 GPM pumps were downrated to 750 GPM. The West Bradford rig resembles the structural/brush version, A/S-32P-8D. The P-8D didn't have the heated pump compartment and used a 750 GPM pump downrated to 500 GPM. All Air Force units had rounded front wheelwells, not the 5-sided angular ones seen here.

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Attached Files Image(s)

Vandergrift FD #1, Westmoreland Co Rescue 151

1980 Mack Heavy Rescue

x FDNY Rescue 4

x Hazle Twp, PA

x Kiski Valley Special Services (They merged w/Vandergrift fire)

***This rig has been sold to Old Forge, PA to be used as a water rescue truck***

Vandergrift FD #1 has also parted with their Chevy/Grumman engine (51-2). It was donated to the Hatchet Bay VFD in the Bahamas.

Vandergrift FD #1, Westmoreland Co

19?? Chevy/Grumman

x East Vandergrift FD (they merged w/Vandergrift #1)

Nice pics of the two retired Vandergrift pieces Adam.

I have an updated picture of "old blue" lettered for Hatchet Bay, I will have to get it on here!

Does the Mattson Collection have any older pictures from the Armstrong County, Westmoreland County (aka Kiski-Valley) area?
[quote name='nolderpkp' post='312733' date='Jun 11 2009, 01:40 ']Vandergrift FD #1, Westmoreland Co Rescue 151

1980 Mack Heavy Rescue

x FDNY Rescue 4

x Hazle Twp, PA

x Kiski Valley Special Services (They merged w/Vandergrift fire)

***This rig has been sold to Old Forge, PA to be used as a water rescue truck***

Vandergrift FD #1 has also parted with their Chevy/Grumman engine (51-2). It was donated to the Hatchet Bay VFD in the Bahamas.[/quote]

Thought FDNY Rescue 4's Mack Pierce went to the NYC DOC... was part of 2 Rescues used to make the DOC's ESU. I thought Hazle got a hold of the old RESCUE 1?!

Mike (FDNYTRUCKS) can you confirm?
[quote name='Fireman5230' post='312808' date='Jun 11 2009, 12:26 ']Thought FDNY Rescue 4's Mack Pierce went to the NYC DOC... was part of 2 Rescues used to make the DOC's ESU. I thought Hazle got a hold of the old RESCUE 1?!

Mike (FDNYTRUCKS) can you confirm?[/quote]

Back when I lived in PA I heard it was the old FDNY R1, however Vandergrift's website stated R4....anyone else out there know for sure?
[quote name='Dr. Stinebaugh' post='302854' date='May 4 2009, 18:13 ']Another Pennsy favorite is this 1979 Sutphen/87 J.C.Moore 1500/300/100' that 1st served Empire H&L of Carlisle, and was last seen at the Neshannock Twp VFD, in Lawrence County.

unknown source, Jenkins collection[/quote]

THis tower is now gone from Neshannock (sp). They now have the Roherstown Tower 67 (former KC MO). I do not know where the old one went. I have heard it went to Union Twp - Next Door to Neshannock.