Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ward LaFrance Ultravision
no its still in hunlock creek some where
tom bretz a ffII,retired disabled ff/emt from Kingston PA F D,own 2 wardlafranceengs a 49,a66,member of iaff 840,six cnty fire asso,pa state firemen's assoc, pa pump primers,schuylkill historic fire soc(spaamfaa's newest chapter--black diamond),luzerne cnty fire/rescue,life mem of columbian fire co kingston,former app op at laflin,edwrdsvlle,forty fort all in pa
Quote:this ward last served hunlock creek fire in luzerne county pa,now rotting away in junk yard,originally from avenue new jersey

Could this have been Avenel, NJ? They had two, a 1969 and a 1977.
could be,i only saw the little logo on it when they got it that it was donated to them by avenue nj it could very well have been avenuel ,i'll bet this is the 1977
tom bretz a ffII,retired disabled ff/emt from Kingston PA F D,own 2 wardlafranceengs a 49,a66,member of iaff 840,six cnty fire asso,pa state firemen's assoc, pa pump primers,schuylkill historic fire soc(spaamfaa's newest chapter--black diamond),luzerne cnty fire/rescue,life mem of columbian fire co kingston,former app op at laflin,edwrdsvlle,forty fort all in pa
Here are 3 WLF's from Elkhart,IN that I forgot I had shot back on 6/8/1991. First is Engine 2, a 1972 WLF with a 1250 pump and 500 tank. My notes says it has a 3-D body. I'm not sure if thats a rehab or if it came that way originally. Serial#80-651

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Dennis Metzger

Eden Prairie, MN

Canon EOS T3i

All photos Copyright Metzger.Media 2014 unless otherwise noted
Elkhart Engine 3 is a 1971 WLF with a 1250 pump and 500 tank. Serial#80-523

Dennis Metzger

Eden Prairie, MN

Canon EOS T3i

Elkhart Engine 5. Not sure how it happened, but I have no info on this rig even tho it was taken the same day as the other 2 rigs(and the rest of the dept)

Dennis Metzger

Eden Prairie, MN

Canon EOS T3i

Dallas,Tx

1971 Ward Lafrance

65'

Ladder-56

Attached Files Image(s)

Farmers Branch,Tx

1970 Ward LaFrance/Grove

65'

Ladder-1

Attached Files Image(s)

Farmers Branch, Tx

1974 Ward LaFrance

1250/500

Attached Files Image(s)

The F/Branch Engine was "Rehabbed" and was in service at TimberLakes V.F.D. in Spring,TX.

[url="http://www.timberlakesvfd.org/"]http://www.timberlakesvfd.org/[/url] Under July 4th,2002
On the Elkhart rigs that Dennis posted:

My list shows 80-651 being a 1972 delivery to Indianapolis. There are three deliveries to Elkhart:

80-396 1970

80-522 1971

80-523 1971
After studying the pics for a few minutes, I would say that the ones lettered Engines 2 and 5 are the same. The one for Engine 3 has different pump controls.
Dave, I looked at my database again and 80-651 is what was put down for that rig. And I'm almost 100% sure we shot all those Elkhart rigs on the same day so Eng.2 & 5 couldn't be the same. But being that it was 15 years ago i might be confused too LOL

Dennis
Dennis Metzger

Eden Prairie, MN

Canon EOS T3i

By "the same" I didn't mean the same truck, I meant twins, as in the 1971's. The other one must be the 1970. All that is IF my list is correct!
Here's something a bit different.....

While it appears to be a typical Ultravision cab of the P-80 or P-85 style, this one was powered by a GM V-8. I've discussed this with other some folks, but no one has ever heard of a P-75!

Engine 4, Lake Erie Beach, NY

1967 Mark I

750/1000

#75-03

This rig later served Hanover Center, NY and was then sold to an excavating company for washing mud off their bulldozers.

Attached Files Image(s)

Engine 5, Town Line FD, lancaster, NY

1974 Ambassador

1250/750

#80-947

Refurbed by Young, #83R780

Attached Files Image(s)

Rescue 3, Hancock Airport FD, Syracuse, NY

1971 Statesman

2000/3000/500F 4x4

#80-629

Attached Files Image(s)

Engine 5, Lewiston, NY

1974 Ambassador

1500/500

#80-932

Attached Files Image(s)

Engine 6, Lewiston, NY

1977 Ambassador

1000/500

#80-1463

Attached Files Image(s)

Finally got around to getting some pics of this engine

This is probably the most famous Ward Lafrance built, here is Engine 51 used in the TV show Emergency! , it is currently serving in Yosemite National Park as Engine 7 for DNC, the major concessioner in the park (DNC operates Camp Curry, Yosemite Lodge and other guest services in the park), it is staffed on a volunteer basis by employees of DNC. Universal studios once was connected to this company which is how "Engine 51" found its way to Yosemite. The only major modification was the light bar, the old beacon made the engine too tall to fit in the bay so it was replaced with a low profile light bar. I have heard rumors that this engine may be replaced soon and sent to the Smithsonian.

The National Park Service runs their own fire department in Yosemite completely seperate from DNC's industrial fire brigade.

Aaron Woods