Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous
Truck 106 had just been cleaned and waxed that morning, and it looked great.

2001 E\-One Cyclone II

100'

s/n 123647

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
This is a neat utility truck owned by Falls Church. It has been a challenge to get photos of it however I was able to recently.

Utility 106

2007 Chevrolet 3500/Reading/Fast Lane

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
and a rear view of Utility 106.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I will finish up this group of updates with this random photo.

Ambulance 6 at Shenandoah Farms, Virginia is probably the tallest ambulance I have ever seen. I wish I had a photo of someone standing next to it so you could get a better impression on just exactly how tall the ambo is.

2007 GMC C5500 4x4/MedTec

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Mike,

Nice shots from Arlington. I stopped down just before my trip to Florida to get a couple of the new engines. Choice Fire will me marketing an Arlington Series in the very near future. I'm hoping to get down soon and finish up the 4 I still need.
[quote name='mnsand' date='03 April 2010 - 06:07 PM' timestamp='1270334866' post='374102']

Also at FS 102 is this large Command Unit, a 2004 Spartan Gladiator Classic/E-One and outfitted also by Bickford. S/n 127569.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

[/quote]

This is a nice command vehicle.
John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
I made a spur of the moment trip to Charles City County on Thursday. This is a very rural locality just east of Richmond International Airport. There are three fire stations in the county and I was fortunate to catch someone at the main building on Adkins Rd. Several of these units were lacking a builder plate, thus some missing information. Most of their apparatus is painted this dark blue color. Not sure why, but this first rig is lettered as an Engine rather than a Tanker.

Engine 11

1990 White GMC/Ferrara

1250/3000 Job # ??
Paul Edwards

Contributor - Fire & EMS Virginia Magazine

Dispatcher - Virginia Fire Net (VFN102)
I believe this is their newest piece.

Engine 12

2006 International 4400/KME

1250/1000 GSO 6480
Paul Edwards

I suspect this mini pumper is now handling most of the brush fire duties. Fellow Firepixer firemag told me it was purchased used from Slagle's Fire Equipment in South Boston, VA.

Attack 1

1991 Chevrolet 3500/E-One 4x4

250/250 Job # ??
Paul Edwards

This is the department's extrication truck. The box has no identification plates of any kind, but "Priority One" is listed on the mud flaps. I did a Google search of that name but the closest match was for a medical instrument supplier.

Rescue 1

2001 Ford F350/Priority One(?)
Paul Edwards

Charles City purchased two ambulances after years of relying on New Kent, Henrico, and James City Counties for EMS transports. I neglected to ask before I left if the radio designation is "Ambulance 11" or "Rescue 11" (or it could be neither!).

Ambulance/Rescue 11

2007 Ford F350 Super Duty/AEV

Job # 80F 10501
Paul Edwards

Great shots VFN! Thanks for the addition!
Speaking of New Kent, after I left Charles City I rode over to Providence Forge VFD which is Company 1 in New Kent. This station has 24/7 career staffing, albeit 2 people per shift I was told. Several of the career folks are part timers. This Pierce Squrt was purchased by Henrico County to protect "Henrico Jail East", a second Henrico jail actually located in New Kent. It originally ran from Weir Creek VFD as Engine 3. It has now been relocated to Providence Forge and is the first out piece. The reason it's lettered as Engine 5 is it will eventually go to a future fifth station in the area of I-64 & Rt 106. The actual Engine 1 was in the shop, but that rig will go to Station 4 (as Engine 4) currently being built in the Lanexa area of the county. The former Brush 1 plus an ambulance will also run out of Station 4.

Engine 5

1995 Pierce Saber Telesqurt

1250/750/50' Job #8931

ex-Engine 3
Paul Edwards

This next engine although lettered as "Engine 5" is actually Engine 8....confused? It was purchased from James City County where it ran as Engine 5. The guys at the station said it's like new and the best pumper in the county. It's used as a reserve, for training and parades.

Engine 8

1988 Pierce Arrow

1000/500 Job #E4635-1

ex-James City County Engine 5
Paul Edwards

My last post for now. You have to see this beast in person to appreciate it's size. When the Virginia Air National Guard 192nd Fighter Wing in Sandston was relocated to Langley AFB as part of the BRAC base closures, it was sold to New Kent for $1.00 (I think that's correct). It's not really used as a traditional tanker, but is being set up as a Wildland Interface Support unit. The concept being to carry extra forestry hose, rakes, bladder tanks, foam, chain saws, etc and to be driven into fields allowing brush trucks to refill closer to the incident.

Tanker 1

1989 International Paystar 5000/KME

750/2000 4x4 Job #KFT243

ex-VANG
Paul Edwards

On Friday, Firepixers Fire175, firemag and myself made a trip through part of Buckingham County. Here is a tanker from Arvonia sporting some neat flames. Note the save made on the chimney in the background, it was a 3 story building at one time!

Tanker 7

2002 International 4900/Wynn Fire Equipment

300/1900
Paul Edwards

Another unit from Arvonia, a mini pumper used for vehicle accidents.

Crash 9

2007 Ford F-550/Pierce Contender

500/300/35 CAFS Job #6898904
Paul Edwards

Paul, great photos you just posted. Those Charles City rides are dark! When did they change to this color?
John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
I believe they've been buyin' trucks this color for 'bout 15yrs. Don't know what started it, I'm sure firemag knows.
The 1990 White-GMC/Ferrara was delivered in the dark blue. I don't know how long before that they had blue rigs.