Newton, MA Ladder 3

credit to photographer

Ed Power Collection

Attached Files Image(s)

Ed Power

Engine Company 1

Lynn Fire Department

"Hooper drives the boat Chief"
[quote name='WoburnEngine3' date='27 May 2010 - 09:20 PM' timestamp='1275008436' post='384179']

Winchester Ma new Ladder-1 2010 Pierce 105ft rear mount aerial arrived today 5-27-2010

[/quote]

Sheesh! I thought I would finally be able to be the first to post a photo of a new piece of Mass Fire Apparatus, but our own KR scooped me on this!

I will never bother to try being first again, that's for sure! [Image: hysterical.gif][Image: hysterical.gif]
Ed

Great photos post away......please!

Woburn later painted the Mack into yellow in the mid to late 1970's and added diamond plated rear fenders

Everett had a matched set of these pumps and did you all know that the EFD ran the ONLY American La France Ladder Chief rear mount aerial in the Metro District?

Enjoy the weekend!
[quote name='franksansev' date='29 May 2010 - 07:38 AM' timestamp='1275131938' post='384315']

Ed

Great photos post away......please!

Woburn later painted the Mack into yellow in the mid to late 1970's and added diamond plated rear fenders

Everett had a matched set of these pumps and did you all know that the EFD ran the ONLY American La France Ladder Chief rear mount aerial in the Metro District?

Enjoy the weekend!

[/quote]

Didn't Lynn have a ladder chief too?
[quote name='yelrowekim' date='29 May 2010 - 10:08 AM' timestamp='1275140891' post='384321']

Didn't Lynn have a ladder chief too?

[/quote]

Attached Files Image(s)

J Daly

Photographer

Saugus FAO#3

CityWide Car142

June 24tth "Old School Scans" inside of On The Job - Salem- Lynn-Boston-airplane-helo's

Web Site

[url="http://dalyimages.smugmug.com/"]http://dalyimages.smugmug.com/[/url]
you beat me to it
Ed Power

Engine Company 1

Lynn Fire Department

"Hooper drives the boat Chief"
Gentlemen,

I can see that a lesson in American La France rear mounts is in order. So.....class begins

In 1969 ALF produced the Ladder Chief rear mount aerial. It was based on a 1000 Series chassis and was one of the first rear mounts to appear on the scene. The rigs featured aerials in either 100 or 85 feet. In fact the fire service became aware of this model and its sister the Aero Chief snorkel from frequent appearances on the TV series Emergency!

The Everett truck (Ladder Company 3) was a 1973 model 100 feet. This unit was the hit of the Saturday apparatus display during the 1974 Boston IFBA Convention, which was held at the old Chelsea Naval Hospital.

Now, for Lynn Ladder 4, a 1979 model based on the Century series chassis and a cab which had as a key feature the “bump out” at the jump seat area allowing for wider width cab. At this time ALF had started selling the old Ladder Chief line with a pre-piped waterway and re-named the line Water Chief.

Eight years separate these two models. My records show that the Lynn truck was one of only a handful of units made with out the waterway. In fact, just up the road in Portland, they operated a 1977 open cab Water Chief as Ladder Company 4.

So, the production line for the Ladder Chief with the 1000 series chassis and cab, was 1969 to 1974. The Century chassis and cab was produced from 1974-1985, The Water Chief was produced in 1975. And yes, you could order it as a Quint!

There you have it, Everett Ladder 3 was the ONLY true LADDER CHIEF in service in Metro-Fire.

Your home work for Tuesday will be to read AERIAL LADDERS by L. Shaprio, and chapters 1969-1975 in your text book AMERICAN FIRE ENGINES SINCE 1900 by W. McCall. Class dismissed!

Have a great weekend!
Beverly back in 1974

B.Stjohn collection
B.StJohn collection
[quote name='CONCORDBOX211' date='29 May 2010 - 06:54 PM' timestamp='1275172478' post='384359']

Beverly back in 1974

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=7880]

B.Stjohn collection

[/quote]

Thanks for posting! I'd love to see any other Beverly/North Shore stuff you might have. I grew up a couple of blocks away from headquarters, and still live there too, and these Pirsch rigs were always favorites. They were an example to me of what a fire engine should look like.
Quote:Gentlemen,

I can see that a lesson in American La France rear mounts is in order. So.....class begins

In 1969 ALF produced the Ladder Chief rear mount aerial. It was based on a 1000 Series chassis and was one of the first rear mounts to appear on the scene. The rigs featured aerials in either 100 or 85 feet. In fact the fire service became aware of this model and its sister the Aero Chief snorkel from frequent appearances on the TV series Emergency!

The Everett truck (Ladder Company 3) was a 1973 model 100 feet. This unit was the hit of the Saturday apparatus display during the 1974 Boston IFBA Convention, which was held at the old Chelsea Naval Hospital.

Now, for Lynn Ladder 4, a 1979 model based on the Century series chassis and a cab which had as a key feature the “bump out” at the jump seat area allowing for wider width cab. At this time ALF had started selling the old Ladder Chief line with a pre-piped waterway and re-named the line Water Chief.

Eight years separate these two models. My records show that the Lynn truck was one of only a handful of units made with out the waterway. In fact, just up the road in Portland, they operated a 1977 open cab Water Chief as Ladder Company 4.

So, the production line for the Ladder Chief with the 1000 series chassis and cab, was 1969 to 1974. The Century chassis and cab was produced from 1974-1985, The Water Chief was produced in 1975. And yes, you could order it as a Quint!

There you have it, Everett Ladder 3 was the ONLY true LADDER CHIEF in service in Metro-Fire.

Your home work for Tuesday will be to read AERIAL LADDERS by L. Shaprio, and chapters 1969-1975 in your text book AMERICAN FIRE ENGINES SINCE 1900 by W. McCall. Class dismissed!

I don't mean to talk back to the Teacher, but I have a few corrections and opposing points to make. First off, ALF introduced the Ladder Chief in 1968, at the IAFC Convention in Louisville, KY. The first one, built on a 900 Series chassis, went to Gary, IN. The Ladder Chief was available on 900 and 1000 Series, Pacemaker, Pioneer II and III, and the Century. As mentioned, most were 100' with a smaller number of 85' units delivered. The Water Chief model arrived in 1976. An extension was added to the fly section to house the master stream and it was actually rated at 102'. Most of these had the pre-piped waterways on the sides of the aerial, but some were built without these, the departments choosing to still use a length of 3" running up the rungs. The Water Chief did not replace the Ladder Chief, but instead supplemented it in the line up. I have a picture of an ALF Ladder Chief brochure from 1981. I have collected and shot many photos of Century Ladder Chief apparatus, many built well into the 1980's. The Ladder Chief was even available during the Kersey/ALF years, with a 1989 Century 2000 100' going to East Orange, NJ.

Hope I don't get detention for this......
Danvers Engine 3

B.StJohn collection
Danvers Engine 2 and Engine 4 former Engine 2

B.StJohn collection
Best Shot of Danvers Engine 4

B.StJohn collection
[quote name='GA_Dave' date='30 May 2010 - 11:33 AM' timestamp='1275232401' post='384444']

I don't mean to talk back to the Teacher, but I have a few corrections and opposing points to make. First off, ALF introduced the Ladder Chief in 1968, at the IAFC Convention in Louisville, KY. The first one, built on a 900 Series chassis, went to Gary, IN. The Ladder Chief was available on 900 and 1000 Series, Pacemaker, Pioneer II and III, and the Century. As mentioned, most were 100' with a smaller number of 85' units delivered. The Water Chief model arrived in 1976. An extension was added to the fly section to house the master stream and it was actually rated at 102'. Most of these had the pre-piped waterways on the sides of the aerial, but some were built without these, the departments choosing to still use a length of 3" running up the rungs. The Water Chief did not replace the Ladder Chief, but instead supplemented it in the line up. I have a picture of an ALF Ladder Chief brochure from 1981. I have collected and shot many photos of Century Ladder Chief apparatus, many built well into the 1980's. The Ladder Chief was even available during the Kersey/ALF years, with a 1989 Century 2000 100' going to East Orange, NJ.

Hope I don't get detention for this......

[/quote]

Dave, you get a Saturday detention for you! LOL

Class........your teacher apparently has some gaps in his education!

I never knew that the Water Chief was a supplment to the line. I have always been under the thinking that it did re-place the Ladder Chief line.

Thank you for filling in the gaps. I do remember seeing pics of the Pioneer style Ladder Chief. All the Century series I had seen with the exception on the Lynn Truck had the water way, so with my data I thought that the Ladder Chief had been phased out.

All kidding aside Dave, thank you for adding to my education of the ALF lines. I always welcome your input!

Have a great weekend