Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aurora, CO Rollover Cement Truck 12/28/13
This morning at 08:30 Aurora Fire was dispatched to a rollover cement truck with a person trapped on Smoky Hill Road at E-470.  A chopper & heavy rescue were placed on standby while units were responding.  Truck 14 started extrication, Engine 13 stood by with a protection line and provided patient care and Engine 10 was assigned to mitigate a fuel spill.

The Tech Rescue Team was stood down and the chopper was also canceled.  Extrication took about 20 minutes.

Medic 106 transported the driver emergent with two extra firefighter / medic riders.

Not long after the ambulance left, the Haz-Mat Team arrived to assist.

Haz-Mat 2 rolling in

Firefighters from Haz-Mat & Engine 2 finished up containing the spill.

After the spill was contained they used a siphon and barrel to off load the remaining fuel.

Nice series of images, as usual.

In the first post, you said that a heavy rescue was placed on standby.  At the risk of sounding like a smart-aleck, what was the heavy rescue doing that they wouldn't have been ready to go right away?

Thanks!

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Quote:Nice series of images, as usual.

In the first post, you said that a heavy rescue was placed on standby.  At the risk of sounding like a smart-aleck, what was the heavy rescue doing that they wouldn't have been ready to go right away?

Thanks!

Thanks!  I wondered the same thing actually, especially since this part of Aurora is so remote.  The heavy rescue is cross-staffed by Engine & Tower 8, both companies were available in quarters at the time 12 miles away from the accident location.  The Haz-Mat responded from Station 2 which is 15 miles away.
nice shots...

Kory Green

Captain

Dresden Fire Department

Training Officer

Martin Fire Department
Quote:Nice series of images, as usual.

Thanks!

Quote: 

Thanks!  I wondered the same thing actually, especially since this part of Aurora is so remote.  The heavy rescue is cross-staffed by Engine & Tower 8, both companies were available in quarters at the time 12 miles away from the accident location.  The Haz-Mat responded from Station 2 which is 15 miles away.

Could it of been a "Dispatch Center" thing so that both of the units assigned to cross staff it didnt end up on other runs leaving it unavailable. Thus assuring it could get out if needed?

Also I thought 14 has a new Quest Quint?
Firefighter - Odenton Volunteer Fire Department

Fire Apparatus Photographer - MD/VA/PA/DE

See my photos at: http://timwolfe.smugmug.com/

Check out MarylandFireTrucks: http://marylandfiretrucks.smugmug.com
Quote:Could it of been a "Dispatch Center" thing so that both of the units assigned to cross staff it didnt end up on other runs leaving it unavailable. Thus assuring it could get out if needed?

After seeing Eric's response, I was thinking the same thing.
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Good photos!

tHANKs

tHANKs