Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Haven, CT 2nd alarm dwelling fire 27 Kossuth St. 12/19/13
New Haven, CT - New Haven FCC received numerous calls for a first floor of a house at 73 Kossuth St in the city's Hill section.  Engine Eleven arrived first due to find the front of the house heavily involved in fire.  A second alarm was transmitted due to water supply issues with the hydrant in front of the fire building resulting in a delay in water on the fire.  Members employed an exterior attach for most of the firefight.  No one was injured in the fire which was caused by a Christmas tree catching on fire.  Ten adults and two children were displaced as a result of the fire. 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Members through a ladder to the exposure to gain exterior access for the hoselines.

Heavy fire vents from the number four side.

More number four side exposure work.

Quote:...  A second alarm was transmitted due to water supply issues with the hydrant in front of the fire building resulting in a delay in water on the fire. ...

Don't the engines carry water?
Good photos!

tHANKs

tHANKs
some nice "gritty" shots there

Only in portland can they get away with that dick.. everywhere else a patent water supply is typically the cornerstone of quality suppression.
I'm pretty sure they do in New Haven.  Wasn't there, not commenting on the fire whatsoever. Seems that the more videos you watch online of building fires more and more jobs are waiting for secondary water before they attack the fire with the tank water they have.  Not sure where that comes from, where I work we make a push with the 500 Gallons we have while the driver and second due are making a water supply.  All in constant radio contact with the officer on the first line.  Just my 2 cents....carry on

Quote:I'm pretty sure they do in New Haven.  Wasn't there, not commenting on the fire whatsoever. Seems that the more videos you watch online of building fires more and more jobs are waiting for secondary water before they attack the fire with the tank water they have.  Not sure where that comes from, where I work we make a push with the 500 Gallons we have while the driver and second due are making a water supply.  All in constant radio contact with the officer on the first line.  Just my 2 cents....carry on

Exactly the way we do it in Portland. That's why I seldom get any good amount of fire in my photos.
Are there really departments waiting to get an established water supply prior to attacking the fire?

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Quote:Are there really departments waiting to get an established water supply prior to attacking the fire?

Maybe the same ones that stand back 20 feet and lob streams through the windows. Smile
Thats how we do it as well. 750 can get alot sone. I was more or less thinking they lost a feed. Thats a quick game changer.. pretty sure fdny does not give the tank water until the hydrant is getting water to the engine.
Wow didn't know this was going to turn into tactical Q&A.  It's supposed to be about sharing photos.  But if you insist Dick H.  Here in New England we have rather large omd's much like vertical lumber yards some packed three feet apart from each other.  This particular house was well involved  on the number 1 side and spreading quickly.  You can see that there is a large three frame, occupied exposure on the number two side.  If we don't cover these quickly you loose a few. The plug IFO the fire building was bad.  The officer ordered a 2.5 pulled and slowed the fire down with 500 gal., thats what cities around here carry for tank water.  Another company secured a different water source and established the positive supply.  By that time the second floor lit up. I am quite sure that if FDNY has a well advanced two or three frame omd with a peaked roof it's going to a second.  Here in Connecticut the city and towns are fairly aggressive because they have to be.  There is usually no lobbing of water into windows unless the house is already gone.

Dick H how about nice pics or what settings did you use.  Oh I forgot your looking for imperfections-we have been there before.  I'll bet Portland does it right though with those nice color coordinated helmets and clean gear.  Maybe you don't get good fire because you aren't aggressive enough.  Can we please get back to enjoying the pictures and leave the tactics to other sites or sections.

Grt photos. New haven gets it done. I love the white rigs. Must be a bitch to keep clean with the winters up here.
New Haven SOP's call for the first engine to reverse to the nearest plug, leaving the front open for the truck companies.  All NHFD engines and both squads carry 500 gallon booster tanks.  Once at the hydrant, the driver will steamer the plug to get maximum water supply.  NHFD still runs 3" supply line, as has, always will.  There is one dedicated truck, an older pumper that was converted by the talented members of the shops that carries LDH, but thats mainly used for pulling off another grid..

New Haven has been runnig white trucks since 1941, and has become an elm city tradition.  You will never see red here.  Along the lines of historical NHFD facts, at one point all 16 engines and 6 trucks were manufactured by Seagrave, and was one of the last major metropolitan cities in CT to ride tailboad.  Those 70th anniversary rigs lasted well into the 1980's in front line service and reserve into the 1990's. Today, outside of 1 sutphen foam pumper quint, which is due for replacement, a Sutphen tower, and 2 Seagrave tillers, the rest of the fleet is all Pierce.  Like signal 29 said, NHFD is a very aggressive department when it comes to firefighting, second alarms are often pulled on OMD's while the first in companies are handling rescues, servere exposure problems, when the second builing is lighting off, or very large structures with alot of fire.  These guys regularlly handle 70 plus workers per year

Look's like they used tank water after all....great pics

Jeffrey W. Shippey

Frederick County, MD
First off, Signal 29 great photos of the recent job!!!  Listened to this job that night on the scanner, New Haven has been called out at least every two days to working structure fire this past year.

But it wouldn't be me if I didn't say something (FireTruckNut can back me up on that). Doesn't "waiting to get an established water supply prior to attacking the fire" mean the time your waiting for water from the hydrant to your pump????  I'm sorry but if you really have to comment on that, ask if an engine has a water tank and if you think that any MPO isn't using the rig's tank water for an initial attack, you need to go back to your rookie school or get out of the fire service.  

If you ever want to come down and buff out New Haven, I'll be happy to show you around.

An old timer once told me "Keep your mouth shut and your eyes and ear open, that's how you learn!"

Now back to your regularly scheduled forum programs...........

Quote:But it wouldn't be me if I didn't say something (FireTruckNut can back me up on that). Doesn't "waiting to get an established water supply prior to attacking the fire" mean the time your waiting for water from the hydrant to your pump????  I'm sorry but if you really have to comment on that, ask if an engine has a water tank and if you think that any MPO isn't using the rig's tank water for an initial attack, you need to go back to your rookie school or get out of the fire service.

I made my comment because it seemed absolutely ludicrious to me (if that was really happening).  I have, however, buffed a department where the IC wouldn't let a fire attack occur until a water supply was established because he didn't want to run the risk of losing water once the fire attack started.  Needless to say, the occupancy was a total loss.
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Quote: 

... I have, however, buffed a department where the IC wouldn't let a fire attack occur until a water supply was established because he didn't want to run the risk of losing water once the fire attack started.  Needless to say, the occupancy was a total loss.

LOL