Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Kensington, PA Bureau of Fire

I decided to repost this thread.  Not sure why it went away.  Hope it wasn't a problem.  I will be posting as I have time.  The City of New Kensington, PA is located in northern Westmoreland County 18 miles northeast of Pittsburgh.  Our department was started in November of 1981.  This is the very "1st" truck of the bureau.  Not sure of the make. 

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

City of New Kensington Bureau of Fire
I.S.O. Class 4 Department
    This was the 1927 American LaFrance engine.  1,000 gpm pump.  Housed at Station No. 1 until 1960. 

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

The 1927 American LaFrance ladder truck.  In 1928 it was sent to American LaFrance to have the aerial added.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

A shot of the 1927 ALF Engine 1 leading the Western Pennsylvania Firemens Assoc. parade in New Kensington in August of 1960.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

This is the 1935 Ford.  It was one of 3 that the bureau had.  There was a 1933, 1935 and a 1937.  All on a Ford chassis.  All of the bodies were built out of aluminum at the New Kensington works of the Aluminum Company of America (Alcoa).  New Kensington was the birth place of Alcoa.  Previously, it was known as the Pittsburgh Reduction Company.  When it moved to New Kensington from Pittsburgh's strip district, it was incorporated as the Aluminum Company of America in 1891, thus giving New Kensington the nickname as "The Aluminum City".  Many of the firefighters worked at the plant and after their normal shift, they stayed and built these 3 rigs.  Probably the first aluminum bodied fire engines in the world.  Another tidbit is that Alco-Lite Ladders were a division of Alcoa, and Station No. 1 has the very first Alco-Lite ladder built.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

The 1935 Ford was known as:  Emergency No. 1.  It has a 350 gpm Barton American front mounted pump.  The 35, as we call it is the only one out of the 3 left and is still housed at Station 1.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

The 1933 Ford was built and served as Engine 5.  Engine 5 is located in the "North End" of the city.  It was part of Lower Burrell Township and annexed in 1931.  At that time, No. 5 was chartered and known as Lower Burrell Volunteer Fire Company No. 2.  After the annexation, it became New Kensington engine Company No. 5.  This was disposed of in 1956.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

A shot of the chiefs car, another truck, the 35 a squad car, the 33 and an ambulance taken at the Alcoa plant.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

A shot taken in 1960 after the delivery of the 1960 American LaFrance 900 series engine and aerial ladder truck.  This was taken in the municipal parking lot next to Station No. 1.  Both of the 1927's were disposed of.  One of the 1927 models went to a fraternity at Carnegie-Mellon University, and the other went to a frat at Penn State from what I was told.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Another shot of the 1960 convention parade.  This is one of two of the 1958 Buick ambulances.  Behind it is Squad 5, a 1957 Dodge station wagon and behind that is Squad 3, a 1957 Desoto station wagon. 

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

A shot of the 1960 American LaFrance 900 series.  1,000 gpm twinflow with a 300 gwt.  Photo by Bob Heuser.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

A shot of the 1960 after the hard sleeves were removed and the scba's were installed.  Photo by Bob Heuser.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

A shot of Engine 1 at a 2 alarm commercial structure fire in downtown in May of 1980.  This served from 1960 until September of 1990.  It was sold to Lower Burrell No. 1 and repainted a bright yellow.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

The 1960 in it's new color scheme.  It served Lower Burrell No. 1 for almost 10 years.  It was sold to a collector and whereabouts unknown.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

A shot of Engine & Ladder 1 in Station 1.  This was taken in 1963. 

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Wagon 1.  This replaced an older station wagon.  This is a 1967 Olsmobile Vista Crusier station wagon.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

The very first air cascade truck in New Kensington.  This was a 1965 Ford C-Model. Originally owned by Munhall No. 3 then Munhall No. 2.  It was then sold to Guest trailer sales in West Mifflin where the members of Station 1 purchased it and performed an in house refurb on it. 

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

A front shot of Air 1.  It was purchased by No. 1 in 1986 and placed in service in 1987.  It was officially known as Squad 1.  The 1967 Vista Cruiser was sold for this truck.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

A side shot.  This truck served us until 1988.  It was sold to Geiseytown near Altoona, PA

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

In 1989,  the members of No. 1 went to 4-Guys to have this air truck built.  It contains a (6) 6,000 psi cascade, a 25' light tower with 6,000 watts of light, (2) rear mounted tri-pod lights, a 12,000 watt diesel generator, interior command post that is heated and air conditioned. It was replaced in January of 2011.  It is currently for sale. 

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief