Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
United States Air Force in England
Guys,

I was really fortunate enough to spend last weekend visiting three Royal Air Force stations that are occupied by the United States Air Force. RAF Lakenheath, RAF Feltwell and RAF Mildenhall.

It is normally very difficult for the general public to get access into these airfields, but one of the guys had put a lot of effort into the trip and it paid off.

First up, RAF Lakenheath.

This airfield is situated in Suffolk, about eight miles from the town of Thetford (which is actually in Norfolk).

It is home to the 48th Fighter Wing known as The Liberty Wing and operates mostly F15E and F15C Eagle aircraft.

They operate two Fire Stations on opposite sides of the airfield, but rather than visiting both they kindly brought over two of the trucks to the main station.

Attached Files Image(s)

Next up, a 2011 Pierce Contender Pumper which is used for the domestic side of the base. This was the first US apparatus I have ever photographed (and seen) so I was really pleased.

Attached Files Image(s)

2nd shot

Attached Files Image(s)

2000 Freightliner Medium Rescue with Pierce bodywork

Attached Files Image(s)

Next up was a P19, a 2008 Oshkosh Striker 4x4

Attached Files Image(s)

Next up, the bigger brother of the P19 - an Oshkosh Striker 3000 6x6 from 2008.

Attached Files Image(s)

Another huge rig was this 2001 Oshkosh T3000 P23 fitted with a Snozzle.

Attached Files Image(s)

Again,

Attached Files Image(s)

Also stored at Lakenheath was this Oshkosh P19 from 1987.

Attached Files Image(s)

The ride for the Fire Marshall is this 2006 Ford Explorer 4x4

Attached Files Image(s)

Chief 1 has an identical vehicle

Attached Files Image(s)

Last fire vehicle at RAF Lakenheath was this Ford F550 Hazmat Unit

Attached Files Image(s)

Great photos, thanks Andy!!

Last picture at Lakenheath - the Aircraft Memorial Park, featuring an F4 Phantom, F15 Eagle and an F111 Aardvark.

Attached Files Image(s)

Next up, RAF Feltwell - situated about four miles from Lakenheath this is an old WWII Bomber Station and today is home to housing and schools for USAF personnel and families, plus dentists, a hospital and also the only furniture store in the UK for US Military use - its housed in one huge hanger.

Attached Files Image(s)

P22 Domestic Pumper based on a 2011 KME Panther?

Attached Files Image(s)

KME 4x4 P24 from 1992

Attached Files Image(s)

My personal favourite - a 1987 International Paystar/KME Water Tanker (P18) which I understand is a reserve rig.

Attached Files Image(s)

Unfortunately I didn't get to photograph the Ford F550 as they picked up a run to an AFA on the base.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZuFovLbIT4[

Our first day had been fantastic, we were treated to dinner with the guys at Lakenheath who fired up the BBQ for us and were basically treated like VIP's. I'm not saying British personnel aren't like this, but our American friends were so keen and hospitable it was very overwhelming.

RAF Mildenhall later........

Quote:Unfortunately I didn't get to photograph the Ford F550 as they picked up a run to an AFA on the base.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZuFovLbIT4[

Our first day had been fantastic, we were treated to dinner with the guys at Lakenheath who fired up the BBQ for us and were basically treated like VIP's. I'm not saying British personnel aren't like this, but our American friends were so keen and hospitable it was very overwhelming.

RAF Mildenhall later........

Hey Andy;

Nice photos. My son is an Air Force Firefighter stationed there at Lakenheath. My wife and I will be there later this month for a visit.