Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last Nights catch
Last night while on patrol in Fort Wayne, Indiana I found 2 Demo rigs I think came from FRI. Not the best photos but you dont see a FDNY ladder in indiana very often.

2013 Ferrara 100' RM FDNY ladder 133

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

At another hotel I found this Eone single axel demo truck.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I LOVE the Metro!

FF - JH Ketcham Hose Co, Dover Plains, NY 36 Truck

FAO - City of Poughkeepsie

FTM - PTB - KTF
Quote:I LOVE the Metro!
Completely agree
The Metro has some serious potential in The PA/MD/DC/VA Area... I know of several departments looking at it.

Firefighter - Odenton Volunteer Fire Department

Fire Apparatus Photographer - MD/VA/PA/DE

See my photos at: http://timwolfe.smugmug.com/

Check out MarylandFireTrucks: http://marylandfiretrucks.smugmug.com
These trucks where the ichief show this weekend. In Chicago.
Good photos!

tHANKs

tHANKs
Quote:At another hotel I found this Eone single axel demo truck.

Was this at Coliseum/Goshen?

Trav!
Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Quote:The Metro has some serious potential in The PA/MD/DC/VA Area... I know of several departments looking at it.
I dont understand the enthusiasm, this is just a rehash of the old 110' single axle truck, and will no doubt have many of the same weight issues etc.
Quote:I dont understand the enthusiasm, this is just a rehash of the old 110' single axle truck, and will no doubt have many of the same weight issues etc.

11 foot outrigger spread, single axle, 50000 pounds...

The old 110's are heavier- On the metro100 they have reduced the size of the ladder (truss dimensions) slightly. In this day and age of massive trucks that cant get in close to set up, this is a welcome sight. Where else can you get a 100 foot stick on a single axle at a really low price? And dont let the short jackers fool you with outrigger spread...short jacked rig that extends 3 feet or more from the side of the truck still pushes you to the middle of the road and the angle affects getting under wires.....
Quote: 

11 foot outrigger spread, single axle, 50000 pounds...

The old 110's are heavier- On the metro100 they have reduced the size of the ladder (truss dimensions) slightly. In this day and age of massive trucks that cant get in close to set up, this is a welcome sight. Where else can you get a 100 foot stick on a single axle at a really low price? And dont let the short jackers fool you with outrigger spread...short jacked rig that extends 3 feet or more from the side of the truck still pushes you to the middle of the road and the angle affects getting under wires.....
Agreed just lose a little compartment space with a smaller truck but you can get it anywhere. I understand a few other MFG's will be offering their own 100' SA trucks soon.
Quote: 

Trav!
McCormick Place
New materials and engineering technologies are making 100' single axle aerials possible again. Time will tell, but then again there are a lot of single axle engines and quints out there nowadays that outweigh the Metro.

Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
Quote:McCormick Place

The Metro I believe is sitting at Motel 6 at the Intersection of Coliseum and Goshen, it appears as if there is a Pilot sign, as well as the 2 McDonalds signs behind it. As for the FDNY Ferrara, I'm not too sure, maybe Washington Center Rd?

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Quote: 

Trav!
Yep they dont spend much for the driver to stay i guess.

And the FDNY was on lima just north of Washington center Road

Great finds. And speaking from experience no they do not pay much for a driver to stay - LOL. Still love doing it though.

The only downside I found w/ the metro is if the rig is there is no yellow range for chassis leveling for operating the aerial, its either in the green (use it) or red (don't use it) and the green only goes up to 3.75% for each side, some other rigs I've seen have a yellow range and that does not start until 7%, plus w/ the underslung jacks you cannot correct the chassis as much as other styles.  Still a cool, basic, go anywhere aerial but maybe not the best solution for those who will be on hills frequently and would have to do a lot of correcting to get the truck level enough to use the aerial.  

Quote:Great finds. And speaking from experience no they do not pay much for a driver to stay - LOL. Still love doing it though.
Shoot...I;m lucky I guess. I ALWAYS stay at some of the better places (Drury, Holiday Inn Express, etc).
Quote:Agreed just lose a little compartment space with a smaller truck but you can get it anywhere. I understand a few other MFG's will be offering their own 100' SA trucks soon.

Actually, I would almost argue (I mean politely discuss :-) there is more compartment space....lose the tandem axle and lose the pump and tank, and you have rescue style comparts that are deep and high. The truck is shorter by 4? feet but you gain a lot of space that you cant with a quint....the upper compartments on most quints are only 12 to 14 inches deep versus 28 or so on the metro...

I am considering this truck as an option for my dept so I would love to hear discussion points....even if they are negative. A decision made without both sides of an argument is a bad start...:-)
Ok I'll bite.

1st the region I am in is in the 8% where pumps, tanks, and hose beds are not on ladder trucks although in some cases it maybe a good idea in some areas and cases. To be honest in most cases everyone around here think that any ladder truck with a pump and tank are Quints but that's not always the case and they act like the idea comes with leprosy so not many around here.

Now since the majority of the ladder trucks do not have pumps and tanks so yes the Metro has less compartment space even against a tandem which adds another compartment over the rear wheels. Also if anyone is familiar with EOne's under slung outrigger system compartment there will be compartment space lost I the compartments above the outriggers (12" Depth) and depending on the location hydraulic tank space will be lost as well. I have yet to see the Metro in person but have seen enough pics and videos to know that compartment space is lost by these things and also with the vertical stack. The ladder also has a 250lbs tip load below 40 degrees and 500lbs. above 40 just like the old 110' Stratosphere ladder. Remember the ladder box also drives the compartment depth as well.

With all that said, I am a huge fan of the old EOne SA 110' s and it was the 1st ladder truck I even got behind the wheel of. I could get any one of those trucks any where and there were so many in the area you could tell everyone loved them. The later versions had Rescue style compartments which made them better to lay out vs. the 6 gull-wing doors or checkered board look. The balance of weight, wheelbase, OAL, cab size, and carrying capability is hard to do on a SA truck but it appears that EOne has refined the product that got them in almost every city in the US and I am so glad to see something like this back. It's also good to see other MFGs to develop their own versions of SA ladder trucks.

Now if I can only get my department to get out of the Tower business and get a mighty mite Wink.