Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yonkers Engine 306-Last Mack CF Ever Produced-Now Back In Yonkers
Yonkers Engine 306, a 1992 Mack CF, the actual last one to be produced by Mack, has returned to Yonkers after a spa treatment, and it's looking good! It currently holds the designation Engine 298, and is a reserve piece.

For those Mack fans keeping track, it is chasis # CF688FC 1460. Delivered August 1992 from Mack's Allentown, PA plant.

Photo by me, taken this morning. A very special thanks to ALL those on duty at YFD Station 8.

Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
What a beautiful classic piece!

Actually a 1990 chassis with a 1992 body by Interstate Truck Equipment (ITE) of Hagerstown, MD. Placed in service 8/8/92 2 days after delivery from ITE.
This whole saga is well-documented by Harvey Eckart in the book "Last of the Breed".
Good photo!

tHANKs

tHANKs
Quote:Actually a 1990 chassis with a 1992 body by Interstate Truck Equipment (ITE) of Hagerstown, MD. Placed in service 8/8/92 2 days after delivery from ITE.This whole saga is well-documented by Harvey Eckart in the book "Last of the Breed".
Correct. We got the last two pumpers. The second to last was ours also, as Engine-313.

I was assigned to Engine-306, rode and got to drive this rig. Unlike the Ward79 work, Interstate put on the fuller height back doors, and that split glass window was a pain in the ass.

After 9-11 the rig was used as a Caisson for our Brothers in NY.

Saw it at the shops a few weeks ago.....

I think,it coulda did without that ugly white stripe.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Reserve piece???

Bonus photos of the pump panel:

Seth Granville
Quote:Reserve piece???

Probably a way to get the city bean counters to support its maintenance and storage on city property, held in 'reserve' in case a front line piece has a catastrophic failure, and the other spares are in in use. In other words, everything else would have to break before this would turn a wheel responding to calls again.
Quote: 

Probably a way to get the city bean counters to support its maintenance and storage on city property, held in 'reserve' in case a front line piece has a catastrophic failure, and the other spares are in in use. In other words, everything else would have to break before this would turn a wheel responding to calls again.

There's nothing wrong with that to me. However, in a city like Yonkers, it is entirely possible that this rig will be used as a spare or for training, as the 200 series usually are. With no new apparatus in the budget, you're going to see trucks spending more times in the shops. Why get rid of a perfectly good rig that has held up better then the HME/Smeals's with the side benefit of having a storied history besides just being the last Mack?
Seth Granville
Quote:There's nothing wrong with that to me. However, in a city like Yonkers, it is entirely possible that this rig will be used as a spare or for training, as the 200 series usually are. With no new apparatus in the budget, you're going to see trucks spending more times in the shops. Why get rid of a perfectly good rig that has held up better then the HME/Smeals's with the side benefit of having a storied history besides just being the last Mack?
Actually, the HME/Smeals held up good. The mechanics at The Shops wished they won this pumper bid rather than Ferrara.

12-Engine has been in a 1998 HME/Smeal for months while their ALF is out being repaired.
Here at work.

Attached Files Image(s)

>

Attached Files Image(s)

R1SmokeEater,

On a side note - why are Yonker's Engine Companies numbered in the 300's and the Truck Companies in the 70's?

Thanks,

RMKDCFD

Quote:R1SmokeEater,

On a side note - why are Yonker's Engine Companies numbered in the 300's and the Truck Companies in the 70's?

Thanks,

RMKDCFD

Ron, It's the Westchester County numbering system. We have very little to do with them, but use the nubering system (dunno why) I wish we stayed with our single numbers! Only rig that doesn't follow County numbers in Yonkers is my company, Rescue-1.

http://emergencyservices.westchestergov....PP2013.pdf

Just curious on what are the plans for the rig once it is retired. Will it go to a museum?

People complaining about spam in the spam mail box... Huh, what'll they think of next?
Quote:Just curious on what are the plans for the rig once it is retired. Will it go to a museum?

I don't think you will see this rig as a spare working the line. The past Chief of Ops plan (knowing this was the last Mack) was to refurb this apparatus, and keep it stored for parades, PR events, and such. It was in the middle of this process. He has since retired, so who knows what will happen........ There have also been "plans" for a YFD Museum for a long time, I doubt that ever will happen.
Billy is a good  man !