Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Syracuse Mini-Pumper History
In the 1960's, the City of Syracuse, NY found itself in the same situation as many other American cities - it was growing, but changing. The fire department that had served it so well since 1877 found itself challenged by the changes. The SFD consisted at the time of 21 engine companies and 8 trucks utilizing many apparatus dating back to the late 1940s and early 1950s. These were, in the case of the engines, predominantly either American LaFrance or Seagrave 1000 gpm units. The trucks were similarly either American LaFrance or Seagrave 100' mid-mounts. Some of the older units were in questionable shape. Further, the Syracuse fire stations were mainly built in the 19th century, and were in poor locations to serve the changing demographics of the city. A comprehensive reorganization plan had been initiated by Chief Simon Ennis in 1961, and revised & amended over the following years. It envisioned a "clean sheet of paper" approach, with new fire stations better positioned for timely response, and new apparatus of new types to increase efficiency. Obviously, the cost would be significant, and none of the Mayors or City Councils over those years thought that it could be done - so back in the Chief's desk drawer the plan went.

Finally, in 1970, Syracuse had a new, dynamic young Mayor named Lee Alexander . . . and a new Chief of Fire named Thomas F Hanlon III.  Tom Hanlon was a gruff, no-nonsense fire chief who cared deeply about his department and his city. He saw the new Mayor as his opportunity - and indeed, Mayor Alexander was looking for a major project to hang his hat on. A meeting was arranged, a presentation made, and from that moment on the Syracuse Fire Department was changed forever. Chief Hanlon had hoped to get even a small portion of the Reorganization Plan implemented - and then over a period of years. As it turned out, he got the green light to do it all, and to do it as quickly as possible. In the end, ten new fire stations and all new engines and trucks were acquired. These new apparatus included tower ladders, "Maxi-Pumpers" with large pumps, quadruple crosslays, 4WD, and telescoping booms, and a newer type of unit to be called a "Mini-Pumper". Careful assessment of numerous ears of departmental statistics had convinced Chief Hanlon and his staff that a large percentage of the alarms typically handled by an SFD engine company could be more quickly and efficiently handled by a small unit with two personnel. These alarms initially included car fires, outdoor fires, lock-outs, downed power lines, and nuisance calls from the hundreds of street alarm boxes throughout the city. A set of specifications was drawn up, and local fire apparatus constructor Sanford was contracted to produce the first two examples. They were delivered in December 1971, and featured high-flotation tires (quickly changed when they proved unsatisfactory), a "pulpit" on the extended front bumper so that the vehicle's pump-and-roll capability could be used by a man with the booster reel nozzle, a front-mounted winch, twin booster reels (one in each rear side compartment). steel bodywork, a 300 gpm pump, 200-gallon tank, a 500-gpm top-mounted Monex monitor, and pump piping that allowed a Maxi-Pumper to pump into a manifold above the Mini's pump to supply it remotely. An International-Harvester 1310 4WD chassis was chosen due to its lower profile than the 4WD chassis from competitors. A large V8 and automatic transmission were specified. No rooftop emergency lights were mounted in a further attempt to keep the height down, in order to enable the units to enter the city's numerous parking garages. Here's what the first SFD Mini_Pumpers looked like:

[Image: 1972%20Sanford%20Mini%207_zpsypbioeyf.png]

Much was learned from these first two units, and changes were in the works for the next generation of Minis.

After about a year and a half of experimentation, some interesting lessons were learned. First of all, the vehicles were MUCH too heavy. The combination of the steel body, the pickup-truck automatic transmission, and the not-too-surprising overloading of the compartments in an attempt to enhance the vehicle's usefulness all conspired to make the first two Mini-Pumpers pretty poor performers. Also, as mentioned, the flotation-type tires were a poor choice and the "pulpit" on the front bumper was pretty useless. The twin booster reels became one rear step-mounted reel, the bodywork aluminum, and a simplified equipment list developed. An initial group of ten "2nd Generation" Mini-Pumpers was put out to bid in November of 1972, and the bid was awarded to Pierce. The vehicles began arriving in March 1973, and still featured the same 392 V-8 as the first units, but with a 4-speed manual transmission. The 300 gpm pump, 200-gallon tank amd twin crosslays stayed the same, along with 750' of the 3.5" LDH we were using for supply line at that time. These units proved to be much more satisfactory in service, and one additional unit built to the same specs was acquired from Sanford in 1974.

At the end of the day, the biggest complaint with the Mini-Pumpers was that they were still overweight. They were using up clutches and brakes at a pretty significant rate, and a decision needed to be made as to which way to go next - make them much, much lighter with much less equipment and versatility, or seek a larger, heavier-duty chassis with air brakes and a heavier-duty transmission on a larger chassis.

A few different factors went into the specifications for the 3rd-Generation SFD Mini-Pumpers. They needed better brakes (air brakes were decided on), they needed a better transmission and they needed to be more robust. It was determined that not only was the already-simplified equipment list not going to shrink, it would in all likelihood grow as the years went by. Two units were put out to bid on a heavier-duty GMC chassis in 1977. Vehicle height was no longer as important, as it was determined that (1) the Minis were so heavy that the load they imposed in such a small area on the upper floors of parking garages was deemed inadvisable, and (2) Once they had dumped their booster tank on a car fire, they rose up on the springs enough that they could become "trapped", and couldn't exit until they were refilled. Don't ask me how we found that out. Emergency-One received the bid for these two larger units, and here's one of them:

[Image: MINI%208%201977%20GMC%20E-ONE_zps9njrlsdh.png]

About the only complaint about these two larger Mini-Pumpers was that they were so damned thirsty. They still had gasoline engines, as diesel engine availability for this size of chassis was just starting out. By 1980, there were more and better choices, and it was time for most of the 1973-era Minis to be replaced anyway. And on we go.

The specs for the two 1977 E\-One "Big Minis" was pretty satisfactory apart from the power train. A series of eight vehicles with Detroit Diesel/Allison Automatic power was put out to bid in 1980, and 3-D Manufacturing of Bonduel, Wisconsin got the bid. They built them on the GMC C7D042 chassis, with 4-cylinder Detroit Tubo-Diesel power, Allison Automatic transmissions, and Howe/Coleman 4WD front axles. An additional two units built to the same specs were built and delivered by Rescue Systems Incorporated in 1982. 

[Image: MINI%202%201980%203-D_zpsisosbymr.jpg]

It was at about this time that a new mission was assumed by the Syracuse Fire Department: EMS. Up to this time, the SFD had provided basic first aid support to the local private ambulance provider (Eastern Ambuance), and members of the Rescue Company had extra training as first responders - but the majority of the fire department did not. It was decided (probably after the national outcry that accompanied the popular "Emergency!" television program) that all SFD members would become NYS Certified First Responders, and could go on to full EMT status if they desired. Most did, and in the years to come the ranks would include Paramedics and Registered Nurses as well. In any case, the Mini-Pumpers provided the perfect vehicle to offer this service. It suddenly appeared that the SFD had known this was coming, and had already prepared for it. In reality, it just worked out that way, but it certainly made it easier to implement. As the years went by, AEDs and additional response protocols have been added, and the fact that we can put a well-equipped SFD Mini in front of any Syracuse address with two fully-trained EMTs within four minutes has saved many, many lives. The ambulance firm eventually became Rural/Metro and now AMR, and they still do the transports. And, as has been the experience of most fire departments, within a few short years nearly 60% of our runs were EMS alarms.

1984 Brought a shift to the International 1854 chassis. By now the Diesel was a V8, and all other specs stayed about the same. This chassis would be used for quite a while and gave generally good service. Three of these units were purchased in the 1984 bid, with bodywork by Sanford.

[Image: Mini-8%201985_zps2dmgntop.jpg]

Two additional units on the same chassis with bodywork by KME were purchased in 1989:

[Image: MINI%209%201089%20INTL%20KME_zpsyjadpqtx.jpg]

. . . And one additional unit from KME was acquired in 1990, with the newer I-H front end clip:

[Image: M17_zpshzpf3njl.png]

It was at about this time that the increasing size of the SFD Mini-Pumpers started to become a concern. As they sat in the fire station bays, if it wasn't for the boom, they would be taller than the engines they sat next to. The next group of five Mini-Pumpers featured considerably lower rear bodywork as the first attempt at making the Minis a more manageable size. The bid was awarded to Sutphen Corporation, long the supplier of the city's tower ladders.  Tom Sutphen believed he could make the five Mini-Pumpers at the Sutphen East facility in Monticello, NY and still make  profit. He did make the Minis - but he didn't make a profit. They were fine in operation, but still too big. The majority of the Mini runs were EMS alarms, and climbing up & down from that big chassis multiple times per shift got old in a hurry. Here's one of the Sutphen units:

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://s5.photobucket.com/user/fyreline/media/MINI%206%201992%20INTL%20SUTPHEN_zpshzfdzjpj.jpg.html">[Image: MINI%206%201992%20INTL%20SUTPHEN_zpshzfdzjpj.jpg]</a>

The Chief of Fire had asked me in the early 1990's, while I was still just a Lieutenant at Engine Company 7, if I would look into the matter and see what else we could do. I prepared a report for him based on what the Minis actually did - their mission had evolved almost entirely away from any actual fire fighting. I recommended something along the lines of the Ford Super Duty pickup chassis, with a Diesel/Automatic power train, a fiberglass utility body, and no pump or tank. We just didn't use them that way anymore. The SFD shops ordered a 1994 Chevrolet 4x4 chassis off of NYS Bid, and an Astoria fiberglass utility body, and built one themselves as a prototype for what the future of SFD "Minis" might be. They did a great job, and it was rotated around through different companies, and was equipped for EMS alarms with a minimum of other equipment - just a few hundred feet of 4" LDH in case a remote hydrant scouting mission was required. We knew we were on the right track when none of the companies that used it wanted to give it back. In its later years, this prototype for the new smaller SFD Minis was assigned to the HazMat Company as a spill control vehicle, and it is pictured in this assignment here:

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://s5.photobucket.com/user/fyreline/media/HAZ%20MAT%202_zpsdpzetm7p.png.html">[Image: HAZ%20MAT%202_zpsdpzetm7p.png]</a>
This is one of the best threads EVER on firepics!  Thanks so much Chief!

Good stuff, Chief, keep it coming!
John I.

Fire/EMS Dispatcher / EMT-B

Fire Apparatus Photographer / Hobbyist

www.fireapparatusphotos.com

www.flickr.com/image7801

Nikon D5600 (retired: Nikon D90) / Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
Grt stuff Chief. Another truly unique concept . I venture to say there are probably many depts. Out there that could use a re vamp based on changes of their community. I don't think very many if any would get the greenight to run with such a plan. 10 firehouse, wow. Really good stuff.
After very careful consideration and review, a set of specifications was developed for a new, smaller series of Syracuse Minis. We don't call them Mini-Pumpers any more, as they have no pump or tank. We went over everything the companies liked about the shop-built 1994 Chevrolet/Astoria unit, and made changes accordingly. In the meantime, it was decided to get a few more years out of the existing fleet of International-chassis "big minis", rather than replace them immediately. It wasn't until 2002 that the new, smaller units started to arrive. Between 2002 and 2004, eight of the new units were received. They featured the Ford F350 Super Duty with the extended cab so that the EMS equipment could be stored inside, and it was decided that to keep costs low and the financial possibility of replacements more frequent, we would use the standard Ford dark red color, whatever it may be. It turned out all years but one to be "close enough", and actually looked pretty good with the striping and lettering package we came up with. In later years, there was only one time the color wasn't even close - in 2009 it was a very, very dark maroon and although it looked fine, it really didn't match the rest of the fleet.  Oh, well. This design became - and continues to be - the "standard" SFD Mini (or "Emergency Response Vehicle" as they are called in the specs). Generally speaking, two or three were acquired every other year and they have proven to be much better suited to their mission than the older, larger Mini-Pumpers. I have always asked the Chief of Fire to give me a mission statement for any vehicle he wanted to add to the fleet, and the Apparatus Advisory Committee would spec out the best possible vehicle to do that job. A few changes were made to specific vehicles if their assignment was different from the rest - such as a full crew cab for the one assigned to the HazMat company (they needed the room) or specialized compartments for the one used as part of the Rescue Company. Even the Syracuse Airport received a couple over the years. These units have proven to be efficient and effective - and a LOT cheaper to purchase and replace than the old ones! Here is one of the first of the new units, a 2002 model:

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://s5.photobucket.com/user/fyreline/media/MINI%2017%202002%20FORD%20BRAND%20FX_zpsqbrbq1b4.jpg.html">[Image: MINI%2017%202002%20FORD%20BRAND%20FX_zpsqbrbq1b4.jpg]</a>

Here's that one 2009 unit that was a little darker red than usual. Sorry it's filthy - but, hey, these are working units.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://s5.photobucket.com/user/fyreline/media/SyracuseM18_zps3r0ok4gb.jpg.html">[Image: SyracuseM18_zps3r0ok4gb.jpg]</a>

. . . And the full crew-cab job for HazMat.  Engine Company 5 has the responsibility for HazMat responses in the City of Syracuse and surrounding county. You will notice a couple of these photos are from good friend John Kenealy's excellent website, CNY Fire Trucks, which I highly recommend if you want to see a LOT of Syracuse apparatus (among others). 

http://www.cnyfiretrucks.com/

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://s5.photobucket.com/user/fyreline/media/SyracuseM5_zpsovjibhwc.jpg.html">[Image: SyracuseM5_zpsovjibhwc.jpg]</a>

As I mentioned, even Syacuse's Hancock International Airport got in on the act. They sure looked different in the lime-green ARFF livery:

[Image: SyracuseARFF2_zpsyaypfb1b.jpg]

[Image: SYRACUSE_ARFF_1_zpsf2y5yasu.jpg]

So here's what we're currently using - the changes from 2002 to the present have been evolutionary rather than revolutionary, and the concept still works well. I hope this topic has been informative and entertaining, and as always, if you have any questions, feel free to ask. 

[Image: SyracuseM1_zps1drtjl1o.jpg]

Great History lesson on the Syracuse FD and mini's... Would be awesome to see maps of all the previous station locations prior to the change and growth of the FD and where today they are in relation to the old locations... What a great thing History is and has played in many of the old cities across America..
Jim Kay

Retired Firefighter/Paramedic

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
Very nice and enjoy reading

Stephen Taylor

Retired Volunteer Firefighter
Retired Career Fire Dispatcher
Yarmouth Fire Department
Yarmouth, N.S. Canada
Luxhello

Great history lesson, thank you
Very nice job on the Mini's, Now you just have to cover the RESCUE's lol

Quote:Very nice job on the Mini's, Now you just have to cover the RESCUE's lol

I could do that . . . or you could just get a copy of the book I wrote with my buddy Tom Shand a few years ago, and see them all.  I even have part of a box of them here in Florida with me.

[Image: SFD%20Book_zpscubc2u6f.jpg]
One of my favorite books in my library!
Quote: 

I could do that . . . or you could just get a copy of the book I wrote with my buddy Tom Shand a few years ago, and see them all.  I even have part of a box of them here in Florida with me.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://s5.photobucket.com/user/fyreline/media/SFD%20Book_zpscubc2u6f.jpg.html">[Image: SFD%20Book_zpscubc2u6f.jpg]</a>
How much to ship one to Nova Scotia, Canada
Stephen Taylor

Retired Volunteer Firefighter
Retired Career Fire Dispatcher
Yarmouth Fire Department
Yarmouth, N.S. Canada
Quote:How much to ship one to Nova Scotia, Canada

The book is $28.00. The last ones I sent to Canada were between $15 - $20 to ship.  The book is also available at Amazon or FSP books online - maybe they can do better.